PDA

View Full Version : Riding without the Moomba

10-29-2009, 10:57 AM
So I dinged up my prop last week pretty bad and it's well past the end of the season here in Canada, so the boat is done for the year. We on the otherhand still wanted to do some riding so all of us old married guys preteneded we were still kids and built a rail and hit the river for the day.

First off it was freezing, the water was in like the 30's and the air was 36. Here are a couple quick video's we took. They should be good for a laugh. We'd never even seen a rail in the water before so it was all new but what a blast.

Try explaining to your wife why you built your kids a "rail", she didn't fall for that one. Oh well, here's to never growing up.

Levi: http://www.youtube.com/user/leviwynnyk#p/a/u/1/tj7IG-YvcCg

Jeremy: http://www.youtube.com/user/leviwynnyk#p/a/u/0/UmkFDwn3N2Q

Jeff W
10-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Looks like fun! Love the 4 wheeler winch

viking
10-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Boys will be boys. Now you need to figure out how to install a heater on an ATV to warm up :)

kaneboats
10-29-2009, 01:26 PM
the water was in like the 30's and the air was 36.

Well, I'm glad it wasn't cold out or anything. Looks like fun but I'd be hospitalized till spring if I did it.

DOCDRS
10-29-2009, 03:02 PM
awesome video, and nice rail.....ya may want to add 22.5 elbows with extensions downward to water on either end for safety reasons for less experienced...hate to miss and catch the board. what do ya have holding it in place...looks rock solid great job

2007 Outback V
10-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Sweet, looks like it was a blast!

Mikey
10-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Obviously where theres a will theres a way. Way to go.

10-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for all the comments. It's a pretty cool feeling to go skimming across 10 inches of water at 20mph where you can see the rocky bottom.

We have plans to build a bunch more rails for next year. This first design I made (in these videos) comes apart with 4 quick bolts and we used sand bags to keep it in place in the river. This way it's totally portable and we can just take it out and on shore (hideen in the trees perhaps). we also have some plans to do a camping riding weekend which should be fun.

As for the cold, we had dry suits, closed toe boots and rubber gloves with ski gloves on top. The only thing that got cold was our hands but by the end they were totally numb and had no strength left. My whole body was otherwise warm.

The best part was we should have been working.

moombadaze
10-30-2009, 09:55 AM
that was really cool, um I mean COLD;)

Mikey
10-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Cold is just a feeling and after you are numb enough ,there are no more feelings. Curious how you guys started off shore or what?

10-31-2009, 01:23 AM
We actually had a good system going where we'd sit on the quad and get dropped out in about 2-3 feet of water, and get pulled up like a regular wakeboard from the sitting/floating position, then when we'd get to each end, the rider would cut out wide and sink to the bottom while holding the handle. The quad driver did a loop back over the rope and then tightened up again and started from there. By the end of the day we had it down pretty good. It's a very cool feeling to ride down the middle of a river like that.

jimmobius
10-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Too cool.. Literally . Where there is a will there is a way of course.