PDA

View Full Version : I think I just inherited another winter project

sandm
10-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Some friends of ours have a "family" pontoon boat. an old 80's 18ft basstracker. they bought another boat and have decided to sell the pontooner to my sis and her bf for $1500. the upholstery is in rough shape and carpet is trashed, but has solid pontoons, a 4year old marine plywood 7/8" deck and a good johnson 50hp motor.
pretty excited to give up a stall in the garage for a winter rebuild, as it will save us a ton in wear and tear on our boat when we go camping. hauling all the gear out to the dock was quite an effort in the boat, will be cake on this one. sis' bf is def. not mechanically inclined, so to see him even begin to unscrew a railing will be fun. he can troubleshoot a computer left and right but ask him the diff. between a flat and phillips screwstick....

excited to have something else to work on. should be a fun project, a good opportunity for him to get his hands dirty doing something mechanical and some good family bonding :)

deerfield
10-28-2009, 02:32 PM
sandm - That could end up being a great buy. I would like something similar. Please take and post pics of the project. Thanks. - Deerfield

jclevoy
10-30-2009, 02:38 AM
That makes me sad..........I had to sell my 22' pontoon to get my LSV. I would have kept it if I had family that lived close that could trailer it to the lake when we were going. You are quite lucky to have family that will own a pontoon. The best thing in the world going to the lake is to have a performance ski-boat and then to have friends/family with a pontoon or houseboat. It makes lake-days SO MUCH FUN!!!

Congrats on their new purchase, and make sure and post progress pics!!

mmandley
10-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Yea if we had friends with a House boat, we could stay at the lake for days, and id tow them all day for free in the Moomba

LURK19
10-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Before we bought the '09 LSV we almost did the rebuild route on a pontoon first. The plan (from my 8 and 6 year old daughters) build it so it looks like Optimus Prime. That will be a great project for you. If people can swing it nothing better than having both - boat & pontoon.

Post pics for sure.