PDA

View Full Version : have you seen this new head unit?

sandm
10-26-2009, 09:39 PM
new kenwood hu. no cd player. ipod and mp3 behind a hinged door, check out the door, it's sweet and a long time coming, sirius tuner and fm tuner. compatible with the kenwood transom remotes.
3 4v outputs and defeatable internal amp for cleaner sound. sweet unit and $220 on ebay...

hmmm

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Images/Cache/1148_800_432.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMR700U/Kenwood-KMR-700U.html?tp=1721&tab=detailed_info

tazz3069
10-26-2009, 09:53 PM
I likey Should have came with this earlier. I never use the CD player in the boat. 100% ipod Awesome that it can work with the existing controls.

jester
10-26-2009, 10:31 PM
This would have been nice to have around about 5 months ago when i upgradded to an Alpine unit for full Ipod control.

cab13367
10-26-2009, 10:43 PM
sandm,

I have a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x692 that I bought last year for $125 on Ebay. It has all of those same features - 3 4V preouts, defeatable internal amp, aux in, USB, Sirius/XM ready, etc. Plus lots of more advanced features I don't even know how to use. I think you can get the same performance WITH a built in CD player for $150 or less at sonicelectronix.com with a different Kenwood HU. The one you're looking at looks like it has a bigger chassis too so you may have to enlarge the hole?

tazz,

These days, there really is no need for head unit anymore if you don't listen to the radio or CD. I think it's Newty who doesn't even have a head unit in his boat - he has an EQ with an aux in so that serves as his HU.

viking
10-26-2009, 10:54 PM
It IS Newty that uses the iPod plug and play. But with HU being so inexpensive these days......why not use them? Your going to pay the same amount for a decent EQ. I'm shopping for a new one with 3 pre-amps and found this new KMR-700u as well. It says its still 1din so I think it just has a larger face. I think it's a little more due to being a "marine deck" too! Looks cool though.

I'm looking at the x493 for $150 on sonicelectronix. Got a buddy that does installs and he says he can't stand the Newer Kenwoods that use the 1 large button for settings and accessing any of the menus. Would look at Alpines but then I'd have to change out my remote puck :(
Anybody else have an opinion?

Brian

sandm,

I have a Kenwood eXcelon KDC-x692 that I bought last year for $125 on Ebay. It has all of those same features - 3 4V preouts, defeatable internal amp, aux in, USB, Sirius/XM ready, etc. Plus lots of more advanced features I don't even know how to use. I think you can get the same performance WITH a built in CD player for $150 or less at sonicelectronix.com with a different Kenwood HU. The one you're looking at looks like it has a bigger chassis too so you may have to enlarge the hole?

tazz,

These days, there really is no need for head unit anymore if you don't listen to the radio or CD. I think it's Newty who doesn't even have a head unit in his boat - he has an EQ with an aux in so that serves as his HU.

Sled491
10-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I like the clean looks of this. I would agree no CD's on boat IPOD all the way. Come down about 75 to 100 bucks and I'm in :)

cab13367
10-26-2009, 11:53 PM
viking,

How do you plan to use the head unit? If you are going to use the aux in or the usb plug and put the player in the glove box, then the x493 seems like a good choice since these inputs are on the front of the unit.

If you are going to have the player at the helm and run a cable to the HU like I am doing, then you might think about getting an HU with the aux or USB on the back such as the x792.

Al

viking
10-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Al,
I was planning on upgrading the HU in stock location in glovebox and using the remote at drivers seat. I need 3 preamps for addition of my amps. Plus, If i put it anywhere else I don't know what i'd do with the hole. I'm torn because I don't know if I'll like the 1 button access feature for all the menu's on the new Kenwoods. But I'd need to changout my remote puck If I go any other brand and I'm already spending more than I set out too (isn't that always the case?)
I like the front AUX and USB access on the Kenwoods. Want to stay with 4v preamps.
How important is ACC playback? Not sure on that one?
Brian

viking,

How do you plan to use the head unit? If you are going to use the aux in or the usb plug and put the player in the glove box, then the x493 seems like a good choice since these inputs are on the front of the unit.

If you are going to have the player at the helm and run a cable to the HU like I am doing, then you might think about getting an HU with the aux or USB on the back such as the x792.

Al

cab13367
10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry, I didn't word that right. By player, I meant ur music source such as Zune/iPod/iPhone etc., not the head unit. What will be your main source of music?

What is ACC playback??

cab13367
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Sorry, I didn't word that right. By player, I meant ur music source such as Zune/iPod/iPhone etc., not the head unit. What will be your main source of music?

What is ACC playback??

sandm
10-27-2009, 10:08 AM
granted you can get more features on other kenwood decks for same money, but the intriguing thing with this one is keeping your ipod or mp3 in my case out of sight. no need to run other cables or find a place to install a holder. not real sure that any additional features are really needed in the sonically imperfect boat world. as long as it has good specs out and 4v preouts, not really much else needed. fancy tone settings and parmetric eq's really aren't needed in a boat.
seems that some of you have decks mounted in the glovebox. mine in the supra is right next to the steering wheel, so the mp3 storage is a big plus. keeps it all convenient.

it is a standard din size, but does have an additional outboard box that you would have to mount.
cd's are dying the same death cassette's and 8tracks are. I have a kenwood with the usb connector and xm in my truck and can't remember the last time I used a cd in it..

jmvotto
10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
al, which one of thes can you control the ipod from the remotes. just the forward, back, pause, stop play buttons. I know you can't search the play list from the remotes but the other fuctions would be nice.

mmandley
10-27-2009, 01:24 PM
new kenwood hu. no cd player. ipod and mp3 behind a hinged door, check out the door, it's sweet and a long time coming, sirius tuner and fm tuner. compatible with the kenwood transom remotes.
3 4v outputs and defeatable internal amp for cleaner sound. sweet unit and $220 on ebay...

hmmm

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Images/Cache/1148_800_432.jpg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KMR700U/Kenwood-KMR-700U.html?tp=1721&tab=detailed_info

I think its a Normal DIN size. it almost looks like it might have waterproof buttons, always a plus in my mind on the boat. I used my Iphone all summer but i do have a SIRIUS setup for the truck now. Its portable also. I only need to buy the extra mounting bracket for the bout to make it transferable. I am waiting to activate it for the truck then decide if i like it enough to add to the boat. I really like this HU by the way, im going to upgrade my deck this spring for sure. Im not a fan of the factory Kenwood at all.

Jester, how do you like that Alpine you got man? Did you try the wireless remotes while wake boarding? DO they work as advertised?

cab13367
10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
al, which one of thes can you control the ipod from the remotes. just the forward, back, pause, stop play buttons. I know you can't search the play list from the remotes but the other fuctions would be nice.

How did I become the Kenwood guru all of a sudden??

Look for this under the description of the unit on soniclectronix website:

"iPod USB direct connectivity via your standard iPod-to-USB connection cable allows you to charge, control, and playback your iPod through the receiver and stereo system"

Mine has this and as long as I connect my iPod/iPhone via the USB cable (not the aux in port), I can do all those commands you list via the remotes.

cab13367
10-27-2009, 03:24 PM
granted you can get more features on other kenwood decks for same money, but the intriguing thing with this one is keeping your ipod or mp3 in my case out of sight. no need to run other cables or find a place to install a holder. not real sure that any additional features are really needed in the sonically imperfect boat world. as long as it has good specs out and 4v preouts, not really much else needed. fancy tone settings and parmetric eq's really aren't needed in a boat.
seems that some of you have decks mounted in the glovebox. mine in the supra is right next to the steering wheel, so the mp3 storage is a big plus. keeps it all convenient.

it is a standard din size, but does have an additional outboard box that you would have to mount.
cd's are dying the same death cassette's and 8tracks are. I have a kenwood with the usb connector and xm in my truck and can't remember the last time I used a cd in it..

Ahh, did not realize your HU is on the helm. This unit would make a lot of sense in your case. All of our Moombas I believe (the late models anyway) have the HU in the glovebox on the port side so having a place to put the iPod/mp3 player is not an issue.

sandm
10-27-2009, 04:01 PM
can't understand why the supra's have them in the dash and not the glovebox where it's lockable and not as easily stolen, but oh well.
I do like having the controls right there vs a puck though...

jmvotto
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
How did I become the Kenwood guru all of a sudden??

Because you are and I wanted to know about your deck specifically. Thanks, i assume its the usb/ipod control that allows the remote to work that way.