PDA

View Full Version : Season is over - lets talk wakeboarding through winter

Jeff W
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
The season is over here. Boat is put away, dock and lift out. But I've got a fresh set up sitting in my house that I cant WAIT to use next year.

2009 CWB Transcend Platinum 142
2009 Ronix Cells

Can't fricking WAIT to get out. The platinum is SO light compared to a regular core board and the Cells are 1/3 lighter than most bindings on the market. The set up together weighs NOTHING. The Cells are super stiff - it will be interesting to see how that effects my riding. I don't steeze out any grabs so I'm assuming it will be beneficial.

Since the season is over for most of us - let's keep some wakeboarding discussion open over the winter here.

I'm also going to be adding some ballast to the Outback. Probably nothing extreme. It's looking like a 750 in the back and 500-600 up front. I'll have to play with how full each of them are to find the best wake. I typically ride with a big crew so having another 4-8 guys in the boat will help overall.

Really excited for next season. What are you guys up to this winter?

sailing217
10-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the Ronix Cells being super light. I'm trying to put together a super light setup this Spring. My dealer has a Sub VI board that although still expensive as heck, he's taking a loss and will make me a deal. My fallback is a Slingshot setup that my crew rides mostly. I just tried LF new flex board and very nice but landings were not as soft as the SS.

Yeh I got the 'honey do' list as well. I get all home projects done by the 1st of May so no projects over the summer riding season.

Boat to do list is: shower and heater install. Another ballast pump and fill line to a bag with an extra fill port. Leds on the interior if any extra time.

I have a Phase5 Icon surf board that is cracking so I'm going to mess with the fin setup and drill the tip and put a nose fin on there so starting switch is easy to ride and setup for a 180 shuv. My surfing goal for next season.

Keep the beer gut to a minimum through the holidays--that's actually tough, so hitting the gym at least 3 times a week.

yearround
10-27-2009, 11:14 AM
the season is not really over, just severely slowed.

planning to run. try and find a wad of cash so i can get to FL to run the tampa marathon. increase my speed, run a -20 5k,

need a new setup, don't have any idea what to get. but my boot are worn out and thread bare and my board is cracking.

no boat mods planned, i am happy with it as is. it just need a really good bath, but i only have access to one side in the garage, the other is inches from the wall, so that might not happen.

sandm
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
posted all my planned boat mods in another thread..

have a ronix setup that the metal slide that tightens up the laces broke on, so went to the dealer a month ago.
my salesman quit and caught him on his last day. he moved back to portland so he gave me a steal on a new setup...
hyperlite aside 141 board and ronix koi boots. really stoked to try them out next spring..

oh.. and a new metal slide to repair my old setup that now becomes the community board.. hate to be stingy, but I now have my own setup :)

surfing, have 3 boards already. the phase5 drew daniello is my board and 2 community boards for others..

Jeff W
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey Flat - how do you like your SS set up? Did you go with the Recoil? PB boots?

I was seriously, seriously contemplating going to an all SS/flex set up but I chickened out at the last second. I'm actually kind of regretting it. I don't have the kind of cash to be just buying a new set up all of the time so I'll be "stuck" with my Transcend Platinum and Cells set up for at LEAST next season.

Slingshot gets a LOT of good responses from the users. I shouldn't have let it influence me - but about a day before I pulled the trigger on an 09' Recoild/Floyds set up, my buddy said "I have a flex board - I wouldnt get one" and like a dumby - I listened to him and just went with a super light regular board set up.

Swamp Star
10-28-2009, 06:24 PM
I cant even talk about it. I will become severly depressed and cry myself to sleep every night till next season.:sad:

Jeff W
10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Just picked up a new set up for my wife.

CWB Embers and CWB Sapphire.

She'll be excited. Pink and white too - you know chicks. ;)

Hopefully her having her own, legit set up will help her want to get out more next year.. We got out a TON this year but she didn't ride much. If she WANTS to ride, it'll mean more sets for me.

Thinking about selling or trading my Moomba for an Avalanche though. :confused:

Jeff W
10-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm all over the CIRE stuff. I buy the older stuff off of boardersbestbuy.com or asd.com as well. Their 2010 is kickin.

Kind of wishing I would have pulled the trigger on the Slingshot set up. Oh well - it is what it is.

Jeff W
11-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Jeff - I'm certain you'll enjoy your set-up as will your wife

did you say you were thinking of getting rid of your Moomba for an Avalanche? - those avalanches don't offer up much of a wake.. go drink a couple beers and get that thought out of your head...

whenever I get similar thougths here's what happens - I plug in a wakeboarding video - pretty soon the enire family is gathers to watch and someone spawns the idea that we should head out to go boarding... pretty soon we're on the water... we are fortunate that we have Koppert lake about an hour south - It's Active Water Sports private lake and you can pay for passes if you've got the courage....

Yeah, I've got an 02' direct drive Outback and there is a well priced 05' Avy in my area with ultra low hours. We've been wanting to move to a v-drive and it's the right price, model and color combo. And I'm familiar with their wake - with the stock ballast in them they are still better than my outback and with upgraded sacs they are not too bad. I ride an Avy with about 2200 lbs in it and that wake is great for me. I love my Moomba but I'm not stuck on Skiers Choice by any stretch. For an extra $5k I can have a 3 year newer, lower hour v-drive. Seems like a no brainer to me. I wish I would have just waited when I bought mine and found a v-drive. Oh well. Live and learn.

I'm stoked on riding next year. Whether it's my Outback or a new boat. I just want to get out as much as possible.

This winter I'm spending my time in the gym lifting and doing cardio and on the mat training jiu jitsu. I've already been to jiu jitsu classes WAY more in the past 30 days than I was all summer since the weather has turned to crap.

mmandley
11-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Jeff.

Whats Avy?

Also is Ju Jitsu for improving the wake boarding? If so how?

I have also hit the gym full time again. Honestly in the summer i wanted to but after a hard day boarding all day id be just too sore the next day haha.

Right now im working full body workouts on Sun and Tuesday takes about 1.5 hours and then doing short work outs the other 4 days and i take Mondays off for football. Im realy hopping the leg workouts will keep my legs from getting to tired and the upper body for the same reason.

Im doing a lot of core workouts in hopes of be able to start doing tricks and hope to not be able to hurt my back as easy if im built with more muscle in those areas.

sandm
11-01-2009, 11:56 AM
avy is the shortened for centurion avalanche, kind of like the sante for nautique..

sailing217
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Jeff: I own an Avy so if you need some pics of the wake PM me. I have the switchblade and helps shape the wake and add a bit. If you've already ridden one you know what it can do. We bought it over an 07 Moby LSV or Demo GG XLV due to the snap-out carpet and 100" beam. No regrets and no problems. We board with stock ballast mostly, but we are big into surfing and my Avy has pulled several surf comps until they moved to Enzo's. It's a sensitive boat for weight placement without the blade but once you know it's easy. Test drive all boats. Centurions are super cheap since the main distributor is dumping all their inventory in Cali for under cost. East coast prices are more stable but still killing resale values. insane deals out there. All boats have their positives. My favorite wake is a bu V-ride with some extra weight, I like the narrow wake but the boat is also narrow.

Some guys at the gym are big into martial arts and go crazy with core training. I'd love to work out with them but would feel bad telling them to keep taking all that weight off the bar. All the different leg lifts and non-freeweights I'm starting to do. I'm nursing back a torn tendon in my forearm from boarding.

SS boards are my fav so far. The Liquid force flex boards landed harder than the SS setup. We ride the response, havn't gotten on a recoil yet.

ftd
11-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Winter??

My step son and I are riding today after work. 83 F here on Lake Holden in Orlando.

Sorry to rub it in.

Frank

Jeff W
11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
We rode Saturday.

Air temp - 61.
Water temp - 39

YIkes.

polar21
11-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Zegm,
When you posted that air and water temp I knew you had to be somewhere near me. I am over in Pensacola and we rode last Sunday in Escambia River. I dont know what the water temp was but it was pretty chilly. I was sporting a 5mm wetsuit so it wasnt to bad, until you crashed and the noggin had to go under water!

I cannot wait till the summer gets here and the water warms up. Also, the time change thing sucks big time for those of us pulling the cubicle 8-5's. Planning on riding again Sunday if the air temp is around 70.

Diver14
12-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Those of you talking about staying in shape during the winter months. If you have never heard of crossfit you should check it out. I started about 8 months ago and it has changed my life, I can literally put in 1 hour sets with no problem. That of course only works when it is just me and my wife and the water is to cold for her :).

If you want to improve at wakeboarding you need to be able to spend more than 15min on the board without being exausted and Crossfit has got me there and beyond. These gyms are popping up all over the place so there is probably one near you. In fact most post their workouts online which you could do from home since they dont require a great deal of equipment. Here is an overview of what Crossfit is all about, I took this from my local gym website.

WHAT WE DO
We run, jump, climb, push, pull, lift, press, squat, carry, throw, and catch. We do so utilizing OUR ENTIRE BODY; not isolating a certain muscle group. Every workout involves compound, multi-joint exercises. From the explosive strength and power benefits of Olympic and Powerlifting to the balance/coordination/agility of rudimentary gymnastics, CFJAX incorporates only the methods, principles and concepts of what works.

Our programming requires minimum to no equipment but does require quality professional expertise on the part of our coaches. The sessions are constantly varied and the intensity and resistance is adapted to each individual’s current fitness level, regardless of conditioning and experience level.

Our goal is performance. Frequency, round/circuit times, distance, work/rest ratio and intensity are all measured, observed and repeated. This information is your personal motivational tool for your next attempt when benchmark workouts are revisited.

HOW WE DO IT
By keeping the training and workouts constantly varied (if not random), using functional movement and raising the level of intensity, we improve in all 10 characteristics of fitness. No one knows what the workout will be until they walk into our gym. This keeps you from being bored and repeating the same routine day after day, week after week. Routine is our enemy.

However, without a sound diet and nutrition plan, no fitness program on Earth will be worth anything nor will you reach your true potential. The success our members achieve is 90% due to the way they eat. Diet and nutrition is our foundation in this hierarchy.

How can you begin a healthy diet without the hassle? In a nutshell, do the following in this order:

"Eat meats and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and NO SUGAR."

Begin with that, then research the Zone and Paleo diets and you will be on your way to elite wellness and fitness.

Jeff W
12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Crossfit is an INSANE workout..

Before I started training so much Jiu Jitsu I did Crossfit. There isn't a better overall workout.

Diver14
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Insane about wraps it up. There is rarely a day I leave the gym without first being doubled over gasping for air or meeting PUKIE the clown... LOL. Its definitely not for everybody.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/images/pukie.jpg