PDA

View Full Version : Another stereo question

moomba wannabe
10-25-2009, 10:35 PM
So I am going to begin fixing up my repo over the winter, not sure I'll be "done" by next season, alot to do, and I will probably post several more times with questions as I go but I'll start with the stereo.

I am going to try and pick up six of the DB651's while they're still on sale, looks like I'd be an idiot not to. I have the white Aeware remotes on the console and stern. Its not had a stereo in it since Ive had it so I'm not positive they even work but thought I'd get a compatible deck on the chance they do. I did some research and found somewhere any Kenwood marine deck model # ending in MRCC would work w/the remotes, but looks like some posts here indicate others, including non-marine decks, would also work. I'm dont absolutley have to have a marine as mine would be in the "glove box" though I like the idea of water resistance, though not at the price of performance. So, long way of saying I'm looking for deck recommendations and an opinion as to if I can get a quality compatible deck or should I look at replacing the remotes as well?

And one last probably stupid question; The boat will have six speakers but all decks seem to be 4 channel; so how do I hook up to all six speakers w/o using an amp? Or do I?

2005 Outback; stripped for now.

cab13367
10-25-2009, 11:16 PM
wannabe,

Go to sonicelectronix.com and search the Kenwood KDC-MP638U head unit. At $130, this is the cheapest Kenwood HU they carry that is compatible with the factory remotes. The key is the light blue wire comimg out of the back of the chassis as seen in the pic below. It is labeled "Remo Cont" (hard to see in this pic but it's easy to see on the pics of the other more expensive Kenwoods) and this is the wire that you need to connect the remotes to. If it doesn't have this wire, then it's not compatible with the factory remotes.

I bought a similar model (Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X692) that is now discontinued. I would personally go with the Kenwood KDC-MP442U for $10 more as it has aux and USB inputs on the front. Like the KDC-MP638U, it also has 3 pairs of 4V preouts which is important if you decide to add amps down the road.

As far as wiring your 6 speakers to the 4 channels on the head unit, just do what the factory does - wire the 4 rear speakers in parallel to the rear channel and wire the front speakers to the front channel.

Also, I don't see why your white Aeware remotes wouldn't work - I haven't heard of any of them going bad.

Good luck with the project.

Al

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/332273/big/kdcmp638u.jpg

sandm
10-26-2009, 08:22 AM
sounds like you are on the right path.
not sure of your intentions for the stereo and how much listening you will do, but I would recommend adding an amp. even if it's a small 4ch, the sound quality from the polks will be 10x better than the deck amp.
if you don't plan on using them much, the probably not needed, but if you do like to park and listen to tunes, spend the money and do it once the first time.

good luck and keep posting progress...

moomba wannabe
10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the help! That website is very informative. Looks like the KDC-X692 is now X693. I think I would do at least the MP442U but the eXcelon X493 and X693 are all within $25 of each other and have the blue remote wire, so I'm thinking the eXcelon version is probably worth the little extra $?

I dont know that I'll do an amp right away with everything else I have to do but may down the road. I'm not a huge stereo person but I do like it to sound good. I agree with doing it once the first time, but will probably have to wait until some other priorities are addressed. It has a sub box already in the boat and I may put some speakers on the tower (after I get a tower) so may be the time to enhance the system then. I will update on the progress for sure!

Thanks for the help!

sandm
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't remember all the differences, but I thought the excelon series has a higher preout voltage. a good thing if you are going to drive amps, unneeded if you are not. I have a mid-grade excelon in my truck that has performed very well.

viking
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Al,
I'm looking to upgrade my HU and use the existing Aeware remote as well (and maybe add a transom). I thought the blue remote wire had something to do with the wireless remote that they are all pictured with? Here's a pic of the back of my existing stock unit.37753776

wannabe,

Go to sonicelectronix.com and search the Kenwood KDC-MP638U head unit. At $130, this is the cheapest Kenwood HU they carry that is compatible with the factory remotes. The key is the light blue wire comimg out of the back of the chassis as seen in the pic below. It is labeled "Remo Cont" (hard to see in this pic but it's easy to see on the pics of the other more expensive Kenwoods) and this is the wire that you need to connect the remotes to. If it doesn't have this wire, then it's not compatible with the factory remotes.

I bought a similar model (Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X692) that is now discontinued. I would personally go with the Kenwood KDC-MP442U for $10 more as it has aux and USB inputs on the front. Like the KDC-MP638U, it also has 3 pairs of 4V preouts which is important if you decide to add amps down the road.

As far as wiring your 6 speakers to the 4 channels on the head unit, just do what the factory does - wire the 4 rear speakers in parallel to the rear channel and wire the front speakers to the front channel.

Also, I don't see why your white Aeware remotes wouldn't work - I haven't heard of any of them going bad.

Al

http://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/332273/big/kdcmp638u.jpg

cab13367
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Al,
I'm looking to upgrade my HU and use the existing Aeware remote as well (and maybe add a transom). I thought the blue remote wire had something to do with the wireless remote that they are all pictured with? Here's a pic of the back of my existing stock unit.

viking,

Your thumbnail pics are too small for me to see anything and a larger pic does not come up when I double click on the thumbnails.

The light blue wire labeled "remo. cont." is for cars with audio controls on the steering wheel (and also works with the remote control pucks on our boats) - it has nothing to do with the wireless remote that comes with the head units.

Adding a second remote is easy - just splice into the existing wires at the current remote and run it back to the second one.

Al

cab13367
10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
viking,

I can see the larger pics now. Had to right click on the thumbnail then open. Anyway, on the stock head units, the wire for the remotes is the one just to the right of your black RCA connector. That serves the same function as the light blue "remo cont" wire on the other Kenwoods.

Al

viking
10-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks Al,
I thought that was it but wasn't 100% sure. Sorry the pics I uploaded were crap but took them in a hurry while trying to watch my 4 and 2 yr old rearrange my house :)

sandm
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
are you positive that any other kenwood deck will work with the pucks?
there isn't a connection on the back of the one pictured above for the pucks to plug into and all the info I see online states it must be a marine deck??

cab13367
10-27-2009, 02:43 PM
are you positive that any other kenwood deck will work with the pucks?
there isn't a connection on the back of the one pictured above for the pucks to plug into and all the info I see online states it must be a marine deck??

sandm,

I didn't say that any other Kenwood deck will work with the RC pucks. It has to be one that will work with steering wheel mounted audio controls. The light blue wire coming out of the chassis in the pic above (labeled "remo cont") is the wire that you would connect either the steering wheel audio controls in a car to or the remote controls pucks on our boats.

I know for a fact that my KDC-x692 which is not a marine deck has this "remo cont" wire, this is what I connected my RC pucks to and it works.

Al

Attk
10-27-2014, 05:33 PM
wannabe,

Al

Al,
Do you know if Kenwood still makes a CD player with the blue wire coming out the back? I know I'm dragging up a thread that is 5 years old and that is why all the CD players you mentioned are now discontinued. Any suggestions on how to find the last model that Kenwood made that had the blue wire coming out? I could maybe find it used somewhere.

thanks in advance for any info.

gregski
10-27-2014, 07:39 PM
Just look on the Kenwood website. I believe you are looking for "steering remote in". For example: http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/receiver/kdc-bt958hd/index.html