PDA

View Full Version : Oil coming out of oil pressure sending unit

polar21
10-25-2009, 10:12 PM
So I took the boat out today to adjust the newly installed flax packing and saw oil coming out of the oil sending unit (5.7L Indmar). Has anyone had this happen before? The motor is a '99. Also, does anyone know what part number a replacement sending unit is in case I have to get a new one?

Thanks,
DJ

DOCDRS
10-26-2009, 12:21 PM
where is the oil sending unit?

Razzman
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
If oil is coming from the unit then it's bad and needs to be replaced. Seen it happen on auto blocks many times. Call the dealer as i doubt anyone here will have the number.

polar21
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Doc,

The oil sending unit on my engine (Indmar 5.7L) is located right beside the distributor. If you are looking at the back of the engine, the unit is located to the left of the distributor on top of the block.

Thanks Razzman. I guess I will have to go to the dealer or see if the local auto parts store has one.

Engine Nut
10-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Doc,

The oil sending unit on my engine (Indmar 5.7L) is located right beside the distributor. If you are looking at the back of the engine, the unit is located to the left of the distributor on top of the block.

Thanks Razzman. I guess I will have to go to the dealer or see if the local auto parts store has one.

I believe the sender next to the distributor is actually the fuel pump safety switch. The oil pressure sender is generally right above the oil filter. How many wires are attached to the component next to the distributor? If there are three ...one orange, one red and one purple that component is the fuel pump safety switch. The P/N for the fuel pump safety switch kit is S496007. If the component only has one blue wire, it is the oil pressure sender P/N S645002.

DOCDRS
10-27-2009, 09:02 PM
thanks Larry, that is what i thought
doug

polar21
10-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Now everyone has me confused. The sending unit did have 3 wires coming out of it (red, orange, purple). It was definitely the oil pressure sender because oil was coming out of it. I took the part to O'Reily's who matched it up with a '72 GM 350 sending unit. I put some gasket material on the threads, put it on, hoooked the wires back up, and cranked the motor. No oil coming out and appears that everything is working. If I get to the boat sometime this week I will take a picture and post it back up here. Oh, the part cost me $5.

DOCDRS
10-28-2009, 12:51 PM
this is getting interesting now. i'm sure the pic will clear everything up.....its worth a thousand words, which we have not quite achieved in this thread yet...ha ha

thanks for keeping us up to date polar

polar21
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Ok, here are some pics:

polar21
11-03-2009, 12:25 PM
The 3rd pic is a good pic of the sending unit where the oil was coming out at. As you can see in the 1st pic, it is located right beside the distributor cap. However, after changing the oil the other night, I noticed another oil sending unit located by the oil filter. So....I am assuming that the unit I replaced is some sort of kill switch where if oil pressure gets low it will cut the motor? Does this sound correct?

AaronWhitt82
11-04-2009, 01:10 AM
The 3rd pic is a good pic of the sending unit where the oil was coming out at. As you can see in the 1st pic, it is located right beside the distributor cap. However, after changing the oil the other night, I noticed another oil sending unit located by the oil filter. So....I am assuming that the unit I replaced is some sort of kill switch where if oil pressure gets low it will cut the motor? Does this sound correct?

Polar -
The 1st and 3rd pics are the fuel pump safety switch which you replaced. It works as a kill switch by cutting power to your fuel pump if the switch does not detect enough oil pressure.
Why there was oil coming out of the hole it screws into I don't know. It's possible it was loose and maybe causing some of the oil to leak out?

The 2nd pic is the actual oil pressure sending unit.

Hope this clears things up for you

polar21
11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Aaron,

Thanks for the clarification.

DOCDRS
11-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Aaron , curious is there a similar setup for the water temperature. ie or does this also sense temperature and cut the fuel pump if it gets too high?

AaronWhitt82
11-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Aaron , curious is there a similar setup for the water temperature. ie or does this also sense temperature and cut the fuel pump if it gets too high?

I do not believe there is a set up for the water temp/engine temp if it gets too hot.
Your boat should have some type of alarm depending on what year it is if it gets too hot to warn you.
Mine is a 99 and I couldn't even tell you if it has an alarm or not because I've never experienced an over heating issue. I try to keep an eye on the gauges at all times because you never know what can go wrong.

The fuel pump safety switch DOES NOT sense engine temp at all.

polar21
11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Aaron,

What kind of boat are you rockin? I just bought a '99 Outback.

mustangairchair
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
ya the three wire one is for the injection the single wire is for the gauge