PDA

View Full Version : Safety Vests.

mmandley
10-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I have a problem with the vests we used. Since its first year that we had to buy a lot of gear we went with Ho Sports Vests. We got them at Costco for 40 each so we bought 4.

They are great vests for friends and family visiting because they are easy to adjust and cheap so i didn't care if they got trashed LOL.

Well i want to keep them for next year as extras as me and Claudia want to buy pro style vest thats fit better and are less bulky next year.

Problem i have is how do i clean these other vests. They don't stink and no mildew, i always sun dried them but there is a slight smell from the lake in them and i was wonder can they be cleaned?

Hillbilly
10-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Maybe try using Fabreeze on them? I have a CWB Faction vest that is kind of stinky as well and I just used that. Or you maybe can hand wash them in a bucket of soapy water and then hang dry them? I assume your talking about the neoprene ones right? I was also thinking about washing mine on the delicate cycle and then just air dry them in the washer and dryer.

Razzman
10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I learned this from a buddy who dives, he dilutes simple green about 10 to 1 in a plastic garbage can and soaks them in it for a few hours. Bathtub would work too if the wife will let ya.

Razzman
10-25-2009, 03:26 PM
BTW, fabreeze won't do anything to solve the problem. What your dealing with is a combination of sweat, dead skin and sunscreen ground into the neo. You literally got to soak/brush it out.

mmandley
10-25-2009, 03:30 PM
BTW, fabreeze won't do anything to solve the problem. What your dealing with is a combination of sweat, dead skin and sunscreen ground into the neo. You literally got to soak/brush it out.

Ohh yea i better not tell Claudia about that. Or she will toss them out. Thats pretty disgusting sounding but true LOL.

Ill try the simple green idea as soon as i find some around here.

Mikey
10-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I haven't tryed the simple green ,but i use about twice a year some wetsuit cleaner on my wetsuits and drysuit and neoprene vests, . I fill a bathtub and handwash then hang dry preferably in the sun. I got it from a local diveshop but i'm guessing a lot of proshops will carry as well. I also lube the zippers especially on my drysuit with a special lube from the diveshop as well.Regular vests/nylon just some mild soap and water and handwash aswell seams to do the trick.