PDA

View Full Version : Kinetik Batteries

Lawdog
10-25-2009, 10:53 AM
I didn't want to hijack another thread so here is my question....
Rather than doing a dual battery system would it be better or just as good to just use a larger battery in place of the factory one? I know where I can get Kinetik batteries at a really good deal but wasn't sure about the bigger battery or just doing a dual battery. Not even sure a Kinetik battery would be applicable. All I am wanting to do is add some tower speakers to the boat I just purchased. With that in mind am I going to need a second/bigger amp as well? Thanks for any information.

Razzman
10-25-2009, 11:28 AM
I didn't want to hijack another thread so here is my question....
Rather than doing a dual battery system would it be better or just as good to just use a larger battery in place of the factory one? I know where I can get Kinetik batteries at a really good deal but wasn't sure about the bigger battery or just doing a dual battery. Not even sure a Kinetik battery would be applicable. All I am wanting to do is add some tower speakers to the boat I just purchased. With that in mind am I going to need a second/bigger amp as well? Thanks for any information.

To answer your questions Lawdog, no, one high cap batt is not better than two std. marine batts. If something happens to that one batt then your dead in the water. For what you pay for that Kinetic you can add the second batt and an acr. Cannot answer your amp question until we know your complete system setup and what you plan on adding.

Brianinpdx
10-27-2009, 02:55 AM
Hey Chief -

A couple of things to think about. Razzman's comments are spot on. Dont even think about 1 battery... Get two. Kinetik stuff is good for sure but really take a look at the reserve capacity ratings. Get a deep cycle battery that can be run down again and again without being killed permanently.

As for the stereo, I cant tell you how many people that I talk to and they say the same thing," I just want to add this or that". Well sure thats the case today, but what about tomorrow. I tell guys to look at their stereo system in three area's

1) towers
2) cabin
3) subs

each of these area's will require different amounts of current draw. when it comes to adding bad ass gear, dont step up and buy nice stuff without first making sure you can support the electrical needs. SO IMPORTANT.

in simple terms, this is like managing to buy a new Ferrari but never take it out of first gear. Who wants that!

Just remember, your needs change over time. Go slow and have fun for now and next gear you can slam that stereo into 5th gear. peace!

-Brian
Exile Audio

you da man
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Look into Deka AGM batteries. They are very good batteries at a very reasonable price. I got two Deka 92 amp batteries for $300 for my stereo thats getting installed. Optima is overrated in my opinion for the price and amp hours for stereo applications. If you can afford two smaller Kinetiks then I'd do that over one of their large batteries.

Razzman
10-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Let me say this about those high end expensive batteries, unless your running three or more amps, floating and playing for hours on end at full volume and have all kinds of electronic junk hooked up then they are unnecessary.

But I will tell all what the best deal in batteries is, Costco Deep Cycles. Seriously! I have used them on four boats now between mine and families and they are a real good deal. They are made by Interstate and with Costco's warranty you can't go wrong. And for around $70 they are affordable. ;)

you da man
10-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Let me say this about those high end expensive batteries, unless your running three or more amps, floating and playing for hours on end at full volume and have all kinds of electronic junk hooked up then they are unnecessary.

But I will tell all what the best deal in batteries is, Costco Deep Cycles. Seriously! I have used them on four boats now between mine and families and they are a real good deal. They are made by Interstate and with Costco's warranty you can't go wrong. And for around $70 they are affordable. ;)

I agree, if you are just running 2 amps or even 3 class D or H amps and don't sit at a party cove, then one good stereo battery will be fine. I'm going with the 3 battery setup just for added safety/security but I'll also have 3 JL Audio amps

sandm
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
I have 2 new deep cycle interstate batteries that I replaced this last summer..
am going to run 2 fosgate class ab and one fosgate class bd amp for a total of around 2000 watts and only running 2 batteries.
a good deep cycle battery should be able to run that setup for a couple of hours at a time without losing any real power, then just run the boat for a few..
def agree with razz that all those high end batteries are, imo, more for show.. but to each his own.. they do look pretty when installed in a custom setup.

cab13367
10-27-2009, 02:58 PM

razz,

Thanks for the tip on the batteries. I am all over those Costco deep cycles!

Al

Lawdog
10-28-2009, 12:24 AM
I wasn't really looking at the Kinetik batteries because they were high end. My father in law is a distributor for them and gets them pretty cheap which is why I was asking about them. I dont know anything about them and I have been out of the "stereo systems" since my highschool days. Alot has changed in the last 10 years. The boat I recently purchased has the factory speakers in the boat with amp. No tower speakers though. All I would like to do is add some good tower speakers (not sure what brand yet) and at most in the future replace the factory speakers. (that wont be for quite awhile) I would also like to eventually add a heater. The boat has almost everything else. I'm not the type that needs the biggest and loudest system on the lake. Just something nice.

cab13367
10-28-2009, 12:16 PM

Razz,

Exactly which costco battery should I buy. Do u have a part #?

Thx.

Al

Razzman
10-28-2009, 01:10 PM
They carry the house brand (Interstate) and Optimas. You want the group 27 marine deep cycle house battery