PDA

View Full Version : iPhone/iPod Integration

cab13367
10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
We really should have a section for stereo questions/upgrades.

How is everyone intergrating their iPhones/iPods? Below are pics of the Griffin TuneFlex Aux Smartclick that I recently picked up. It consists of an iPhone cradle that plugs into the 12V socket and a flexible arm so that you can position your iPhone where you want it. It is blocking the analog speedo but I never look at that anyway since I look at the PP read out. The cradle charges the iPhone and also has a built in aux out plug. HOWEVER, when using the cradle's aux out plug, the volume is significantly lower compared to using the iPhone's headphone jack. So that is why I have the aux cord plugged into my iPhone instead of the cradle. There is a volume control on the base of the cradle unit and even with it turned all the way up, the volume was way lower than plugging it directly to the iPhone.

It also comes with a nifty wireless remote that attaches to your steering wheel but is easily removable via a magnetic base. I haven't used this set up on the water yet but I can see how the pause/play and skip buttons on the remote will come in handy. My iPhone will go into power save mode so I have to wake it up in order to pause the music or skip to the next song. The remote works even if the iPhone is in power save mode.

My Kenwood head unit (not the factory unit) has an aux-in jack on the back so I just routed a 3.5MM aux cable around the ski locker to the dash.

The phone cradle that is double-stick taped to the fiberglass near the walk thru was my first attempt at iPhone integration. It is pretty compact in the tucked away position so I may just leave it there in case someone has a different phone and wants to play their music.

I would be interested so see what others are doing.

Thanks,

Al

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_5467.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_5468.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_5462.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/IMG_5465.jpg

cab13367
10-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Good stuff Ed.

Now that you've got that fancy sound system, you've got to have something to play thru it besides the radio!

Razzman
10-24-2009, 07:16 PM
"We really should have a section for stereo questions/upgrades." Yes we should and i suggested that before. These subjects get lost in the clutter of the general section, hence they are asked all the time. :cool:

Very cool Al! I connect my ipods/iphone via a 6' mini pin cable to the front of my Pioneer deck which allows me to use the device as intended through the HU. It'll typically last all day on a charge, when drained i hook it up to the deck via usb to charge back up.

cab13367
10-24-2009, 07:31 PM
I was doing that as well but then the iPhone was in the glove box so I didn't have control of it while I was driving. This is my solution to that problem.

Lawdog
10-25-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm not trying to hijack this thread but can anybody direct me to one of the stereo guru's on this forum?

cab13367
10-25-2009, 11:37 AM
I am definitely NOT a stereo guru (haven't you noticed all the dumb questions I've been asking lately? :). Razz and Newty definitely are as well as many others here.

mmandley
10-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Hey Cab i have an Iphone also and i use the 6ft cable and plug it into the deck. I can still reach over and change the music but i typically have it on Random, i press the menu button twice and it bring the Ipod controls up and i skip to the next song if i don't like it.

I like your base you have it mounted in, although i dont have a 12V jack where you do. Mine are in the glove box, at the drivers feet, and the new one i installed on the back of the boat by the Starboard ballast locker.

Razzman
10-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Mike, i guess the changed it for '08 as i have a 12v outlet where Al does as well.

cab13367
10-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey Cab i have an Iphone also and i use the 6ft cable and plug it into the deck. I can still reach over and change the music but i typically have it on Random, i press the menu button twice and it bring the Ipod controls up and i skip to the next song if i don't like it.

I like your base you have it mounted in, although i dont have a 12V jack where you do. Mine are in the glove box, at the drivers feet, and the new one i installed on the back of the boat by the Starboard ballast locker.

You have a 12v plug at the driver's feet? That's not very convenient :(

Yeah, I used to do the same for you but that got to be a hassle, and distracting to do while driving. If you are interested in just a mount to get your iPhone near the dash without drilling any holes, here's another option that I was considering. It mounts to the round windshield support bar.

http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IPM127&click=21

http://www.mountguys.com/v/vspfiles/photos/IPM127-2T.jpg

mmandley
10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Mike, i guess the changed it for '08 as i have a 12v outlet where Al does as well.

Yea its very stupid to have it there. I mean you know how much of a pain the ballast switches can be to get to. The 12V plug is at the very bottom of that same area just above the black rubber seal on the floor.

I used it once and thats about it.

That why i ended up installing a 12V jack on the back of the boat.

KT Mobius
10-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Newty your man

sandm
10-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Yea its very stupid to have it there. I mean you know how much of a pain the ballast switches can be to get to. The 12V plug is at the very bottom of that same area just above the black rubber seal on the floor.

I used it once and thats about it.

That why i ended up installing a 12V jack on the back of the boat.

they could put 100 12v jacks in the boat and there would be sometime when there would not be one convenient :)

we are debating whether to run xm for another year(cost about $50 for 6months and the bs turnon fee) or to pop for the $90 for the mp3 adapter for the kenwood deck and just burn music year after year. problem is the guy that rides with us most of the time that would have the job of burning music doesn't necessarily share the same taste as the rest of the crew...

i'd get tired of 80's music day in day out....

Razzman
10-25-2009, 05:47 PM
That's why i run a 30gb ipod with a mix of everything, like 3,000 songs and i'm the one that loads it ;) Personally i don't like sat music, too much repetition for me.

cab13367
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
In addition to the music stored on my iPhone, I also listen to Pandora radio. I like it cause you can create your own radio stations and it "learns" your music taste and selects accordingly. Plus, there's no commercials and it's free.

jmvotto
10-25-2009, 07:24 PM
they could put 100 12v jacks in the boat and there would be sometime when there would not be one convenient :)

we are debating whether to run xm for another year(cost about $50 for 6months and the bs turnon fee) or to pop for the $90 for the mp3 adapter for the kenwood deck and just burn music year after year. problem is the guy that rides with us most of the time that would have the job of burning music doesn't necessarily share the same taste as the rest of the crew...

i'd get tired of 80's music day in day out....

should be about 29 to 39 bucks at best buy, cab just sold his for 20, i would not pay 100 for it.

cab13367
10-25-2009, 08:24 PM
should be about 29 to 39 bucks at best buy, cab just sold his for 20, i would not pay 100 for it.

Actually, I haven't sold mine. Forgot I even had it so I just reposted it in the classifieds. But I don't think it's what sandm wants though. I think he is looking for an aux in adapter.

cab13367
10-25-2009, 08:47 PM

Actually, I haven't sold mine yet. Forgot I still had it. Not sure it's what sandm is looking for though. I think he is looking for an aux in adapter? Mine is iPhone/iPod specific.

jmvotto
10-25-2009, 10:55 PM
this is the one i have, three inputs.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=942

sandm
10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
yea, we'd need an mp3 input, not ipod. no one we know has an iphone nor an actual ipod.

best would be a usb input for a thumbdrive.

cab13367
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
sandm,

Hmm, adding a USB interface to your head unit maybe a little tough.

Here's an aux cable for a Kenwood though for $10. This will connect anything with a 3.5mm headphone jack to your head unit.

http://millionbuyplus.com/view_product.php?KENWOOD-CA-C2AX&itemno=KENCAC2AX

http://millionbuyplus.com/images/products/KENCAC2AX_M.JPG

mmandley
10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
AL i got a new deck for my truck, it has a USB cable jack on the face and i used it but of course the cable supplied is really for the Ipod not the Iphone. SO when i use it, it foces my phone into Airplane mod and nothing works. So im back to using the jack. I was hopping to get a cable for my Iphone to USB so i can use it for music and as a car charger.

I havnt seen any have you had any luck in this area?

cab13367
10-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Mike,

Have you tried using the USB/Iphone cable that came with your iPhone home charger? That should work fine.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Al

mmandley
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Ohh yea completly forgot about that one since I always charge my phone in the truck, Claudia took over the other cables because her iPhone always needs charging at home and work.

JesseC
10-26-2009, 01:12 PM
I am still running that Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod control from crutchfield. Through some testing I put a switch in the glove box that opens or closes a green wire inside the box and switches the control from the Ipod to the Head Unit. It has worked on my Nano and the wifes ITouch. We just set it on a play list and toss it in the glove box. When a rider falls, we just hit the pause button on the drivers remote or the remote in the bow and hit play again when ready. All of the controls work, but switching between the head unit control and the ipod control is really clunky. We have to flip to tuner, press the red button I installed and then back to disc to switch the two modes. In head unit mode the display has all of t the information and the boat remotes work the Ipod, in Ipod mode only the Ipod has control and the head unit displayes E-60.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PRqMg7Fss8z/p_113IP500/Kenwood-KCA-iP500-iPod-Control-Interface.html

cab13367
10-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Yup, it was one of my first mods. I got "Supra envy" when I was looking at my Moomba and I knew I was going to put a Supra wheel on it as soon as I could.

Sled491
10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Only 3526 more parts and you'll have a Supra :) Just kidding love my Moomba!