PDA

View Full Version : Tower Mount Backing Plate

viking
10-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Hey all,
As I was climbing around my boat preparing for my stereo upgrade project I noticed something odd...............
3758 this is the middle mount backing on passenger side
3759 this is the rear mount backing on passenger side
3760 this is the front mount backing plate on passenger side. And all of the 3 mounts on driver's side have this plate.

Why would this be?

mmandley
10-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I would think it has to do with the Stresses they expect on the tower. Not sure why there all different.

On mine the Front mounts have a huge 1inch added fiberglass block the bolts go threw on both sides and the rears have a much thinner block. I figure its because the tower creates a much larger stress point on the front de to it being pulled back by the boarding.

As for your tower its a 3 point mount and im not sure why it would be different on one side of the boat as to the other.

tazz3069
10-25-2009, 06:21 PM
I would think it has to do with the Stresses they expect on the tower. Not sure why there all different.

On mine the Front mounts have a huge 1inch added fiberglass block the bolts go threw on both sides and the rears have a much thinner block. I figure its because the tower creates a much larger stress point on the front de to it being pulled back by the boarding.

As for your tower its a 3 point mount and im not sure why it would be different on one side of the boat as to the other.

Mine is exactly the same as yours. I do not understand why if it is the same manufacturer, thaey would have different mounting for the towers. Does not make any sense to me at all.

viking
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
bump bump......
I still don't know if I should try and get some alluminum plates for the tower mounts where there are just blocks of HDPE for backing or not?

Worries me that stress cracks might start to develope where there are no plates? Is this something that SC would provide and stand behind if the dealer took a shortcut installing? Or maybe this was done at the mfg? I don't know?

Maybe I should email pics to Anthony at SC?

Thoughts?

deerfield
12-23-2009, 05:15 PM
bump bump......
I still don't know if I should try and get some alluminum plates for the tower mounts where there are just blocks of HDPE for backing or not?

Worries me that stress cracks might start to develope where there are no plates? Is this something that SC would provide and stand behind if the dealer took a shortcut installing? Or maybe this was done at the mfg? I don't know?

Maybe I should email pics to Anthony at SC?

Thoughts?

Viking - I will crawl into my '07 Outback, take pictures, and post here on the board for you to see. My tower was part of the deal at the time that I ordered my boat. Don't know if the mounting plates were installed at the factory or dealership. In any case, I'll take pics and we can compare to your situation. - Deerfield

jmvotto
12-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Viking. I would e-mail sc and see if you tower was installed at the factory or the dealer based on your vin # and should the backing plates be there for support.

brownski
12-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah Viking,

First thing I would do is see if it was a factory install and if so leave it alone so you know they will cover it. I would think that tehy would in the lifetime hull warranty if put on at the factory. I will try and get picks of mine to post too.

deerfield
12-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Viking - You are on to something. Just one of the six mounting blocks in my '07 Outback are positioned correctly. As a result, in my opinion strength and security of the tower mounting plates are compromised and SC should redo the job. See the below pics. Took these today. - Deerfield

viking
12-24-2009, 05:58 PM
YA!! Isn't it odd? It's almost like they used whatever was laying around at the time.
Deerfield,
On your pics only the first one has proper support IMO and the last 1 for sure is comprimised with only washers?
On mine I have 3 pretty thin plates on the drivers side (all three mounting points) I think they are alluminum but not sure. On the passenger side the front mount is the same and the back 2 have small chunks of HDPE whereas yours the used one each mount but not properly placed?
I think we need to get some answers :(

Viking - You are on to something. Just one of the six mounting blocks in my '07 Outback are positioned correctly. As a result, in my opinion strength and security of the tower mounting plates are compromised and SC should redo the job. See the below pics. Took these today. - Deerfield

deerfield
12-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Viking - An email I sent to SC customer service failed. I explained the situation, included a link to this post, and asked what it recommended regarding what would appear to be poor installation of five of the six tower mounting plates. Instead of trying a second email to customer service, I will reach out next week by phone and keep you posted. - Deerfield

viking
12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Viking - An email I sent to SC customer service failed. I explained the situation, included a link to this post, and asked what it recommended regarding what would appear to be poor installation of five of the six tower mounting plates. Instead of trying a second email to customer service, I will reach out next week by phone and keep you posted. - Deerfield

SOUNDS GOOD!

deerfield
12-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Viking - Sent the letter w/ pictures today to Skiers Choice corporate in Tennessee. Here's the essential request in the letter: "Please let me know if this situation with the placement of the backing plates has compromised the integrity of the tower mounts and is cause for concern because it could result in stress cracks to the fiberglass deck or possible wholesale failure." Will let you know what I hear back. - Deerfield

viking
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Deerfield. Still confuses me why they would all be different? Looks like scraps to me except for the 3 plates on my boat?

deerfield
02-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Viking - Here's the update and outcome.

Engineering and production at Skiers Choice looked at all the facts. Upshot: There is no compromise to the integrity of the tower as currently mounted or possibilty of stress fracture to the fiberglass deck.

Nonetheless, Skiers Choice wants to do things right and bring this tower install into conformity. It has asked the dealer from which the boat was purchased to do the underside glass and bracket work, with cost to be absorbed by the factory.

I have learned that deck construction on different models, as well as on the same models over different years, can vary. In addition, factors such as tower design, bracket placement, and underside reinforcement also differ from applicaiton to application. So, the decision with respect to the tower situation on my '07 Outback may not apply in other situations.

Next step is for me to schedule a service repair date with the dealer. Want to avoid hauling her back and forth in the snow. She's my pride and joy. - Deerfield

phospher
02-05-2010, 04:28 PM
That's awesome. Another example of SC being a stand up company. i'm going to check my 08 outback tonight and see how my tower is mounted.

deerfield
02-06-2010, 12:12 AM
i'm going to check my 08 outback tonight and see how my tower is mounted.

phospher - Please let us know what you find. Thanks. - Deerfield

phospher
02-06-2010, 01:40 AM
Checked my rear four mounts and they have the extra thick reinforced fiberglass and the mounts are perfectly centered. However, only 1 mount (the front left) has a metal backing plate. I forgot to check the front two..

Seemed pretty damn solid though.

deerfield
02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Checked my rear four mounts and they have the extra thick reinforced fiberglass and the mounts are perfectly centered. However, only 1 mount (the front left) has a metal backing plate. I forgot to check the front two..

Seemed pretty damn solid though.

phospher - Based on what I learned from my conversations with Skiers Choice, I would conclude that your tower is properly mounted and secure. No worries! - Deerfield

phospher
02-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Awesome. Thanks Deerfield. I'll check the other two front mounts and report back if I find anything different.

phospher
02-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Checked the other two forward mount points. They are all reinforced with the thick fiberglass and bolts are centered. Also, it is both the front mount points that have the steel plate. So it looks like mine is both consistent and setup correctly. :D

deerfield
02-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Checked the other two forward mount points. They are all reinforced with the thick fiberglass and bolts are centered. Also, it is both the front mount points that have the steel plate. So it looks like mine is both consistent and setup correctly. :D

phospher - That is EXCELLENT news. I like the sound: 1) reinforced with thick fiberglass, 2) centered bolts, and 3) steel plates on front. You are definitely good to go! - Deerfield

2007 Outback V
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Wow, can't believe I didn't see this post sooner. Concerns me........I'm going to check my boat tomorrow. I'll let you all know what mine has.

2007 Outback V
02-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Mine has metal backing plates on all 6 mounts!!!!! No thick fiberglass used. Hmmmm, why so much variation??