PDA

View Full Version : Arizona boating

jimmobius
10-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I have stopped here in the past but have never had the boat with me, so here we are with the boat. Absolutely flat water, WARM WATER !! , and very little boat traffic. No other water skiers on the lake. Sure beats Colorado cold water ..
Jim

viking
10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Jim,
Gotta say I'm extremely envious up here in the Rockies.
Looks like you had the whole lake to yourself.
Where exactly are you and how long did it take to get there?

Oh,
By the way. I've got some friends in Kansas and we were kicking around the idea of meeting in or around Denver this next season. Where should we be looking since I wouldn't go without my boat :)

jimmobius
10-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Roosevelt lake , N E of Phoenix, 750 miles from Denver. My sister lives in Payson and we are visiting there. Let me know what your plans are as time goes by and we can find a lake for you . Oh yeah it took me a day and a half to get there. Jim.

jester
10-24-2009, 10:00 PM
Dang that looks great. I might just have to move there to get away from the winter.

jimmobius
10-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Yup , it is pretty nice . If you don't have to go into the valley (Phoenix) it is great. No traffic , smog, people, etc..
Jim.

cab13367
10-25-2009, 11:42 AM
That looks awesome Jim. Beats the heck out of Chatfield and Cherry Creek, I'm sure!

mmandley
10-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Awesome Jim. I grew up in Tucson and spent a lot of time all over AZ but never had a boat to enjoy it. Never even knew anyone with a boat LOL. I'm glad to see you got awesome water after that long drive.

jimmobius
10-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes it is great to get out of town and to warm water and weather for the end of the season for me. I think people here in AZ can ski year round if they so desire. We are heading out tomorrow for the lake again for more fun in the sun. Then drain the engine and pack it up for the return trip to Colorado. I am thinking about moving here in a few years if all goes well.
Jim.

yearround
10-25-2009, 11:03 PM
hey Jim,
looks like tons of fun and glad you are taking full advantage of it all. we went our saturday afternoon, were almost solo on the lake, but it was 60a and 50w.

btw, it snowed this afternoon. bring some sun back with you!

jimmobius
10-26-2009, 10:33 PM
More pics from today. 2 times at this lake and no one else is skiing on the lake . Every once in a while a fishing boat would go by. Absolutely flat water at times. Heading back to Colorado Thursday . Jim.

jimmobius
10-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Hey sled, I have a pic from that same spot from last year.
Jim.

Sled491
10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Jim go to my albums under Misc, that is a picture of my just outside Payson after makeing the run along Roosevelt.

yearround
10-27-2009, 11:26 AM
hey jim
make sure you are winterized on the way back, we are supposed to get snow on wed/thurs, but you won't be here til fri. we are going out on sat for a trick or treat ride. planning on CC. can anyone get on your lake (standley right?)or are they closed now?

congrats on reaching senior status.

jimmobius
10-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Yah, I plan on draining the engine/ cooling system tomorrow before I leave Thursday. I just returned from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport and dropped the wife off . She caught an earlier flight back to beat the snow storm . I hope I have a good uneventful trip back. Standley lake closed the end of Sept.
Jim.

aintskeered
10-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey Jimmobius, Stay there for a couple days if you can! We got slamed last night and more through thursday pm! I was just thinking about not winterizing our mobius till this hit! What was the water temp down there? Was thinking about making a late trip that way..... Thinking not so much now!

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/44657/2891997160100333629S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2891997160100333629SITbkS)

jimmobius
10-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Yah, I don't know which way I will be traveling yet .I might be up your way through UT 191 , to GJ tomorrow or, I 40 - I 25 N . I don't know yet. I have been checking the weather report and road reports and the front range is looking like it is getting a little snow. If I come up your way will you be around Thursday? Let me know. Jim.

jimmobius
10-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Aintskeered, if you check roosevelt lake marina it will give the weather report and current temps . Also long range forecast , which looks to be back up in the 80's by early next week. Today here is 50's and sunny . Jim.

yearround
10-28-2009, 01:53 PM
jim,
good luck with either way you take. i'm sure you have talked to your wife in town, but we are slammed here today.

if it was me, i would go I40/25 and stay out of the mtns. go to Abq thurs, then finsih fri, you would probably have better travel.

i think 191/GJ I70 will be in rough shape for a few days to come.

though meeting skeerd would be good too, take his suggestion and stay a few more days!

jimmobius
10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the advice . I will check the weather/road reports tomorrow to see whats up.
Jim.

jimmobius
10-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Well I made it back ok. I decided to go the I 40 -I 25 route and drop the boat off at Rocky Mountain Boat Co. in Pueblo where I bought the boat and have some work done on it. By the way they are really great people to work with . I ran into some weather ( snow storm ) I 40 on the divide , and then Friday Raton Pass was messy on the Colorado side , rest of the trip was good roads. It was good to get away and enjoy the Az weather , most likely I will be back in the future. Lake Roosevelt is really a nice size lake to go to not too small or big, nice campgrounds no showers though. If you are self contained camping it is pretty good. There is also a motel down the valley a little ways too. Water conditions just fantastic. There were more water fowl than people and boats!!
Jim.

desert wake 360
11-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I love Roosevelt Lake. Especially late in the season. The water is still warm, no wind, no boats. You'll find that we arizonans are whimpy when it comes to cold water, so most boaters stop going right around the start of football season (especially Sundays). I'm glad you had a good time.

jimmobius
11-01-2009, 08:22 PM
Yes it was great ,I still check Roosevelt lake marina website and the temps are still in the 80's !!

aintskeered
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Okay pehaps a late season harroa down at rosevelt! Items to bring... Beverages and meals, plus required items to winterize before we make the last pull into cold weather for the winter months... we could do a October ski,swim wakeboard/surf gathering, where we winterize our babys before we go home to the freezing cold, and snow??? I was thinking about making the havsu trip the end for this....?

jimmobius
11-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Are you talking next season? I am done with our boat for this season. Too many things to catch up on after playing all summer at the lake and the drag strip. Jim .

aintskeered
11-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Yep I am thinking a late season trip South, One last good by to our lady's before we put them to bed for the winter.... I keep thinking one more trip and then I will say good night and my beloved lady ends up spending the last month in the barn waiting for me to get of me arse and say I am done.... I hate that day, The day of the third or fourth snow storm! when I have to finally give in and say see ya when it thaws out!!!

yearround
11-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Are you talking next season? I am done with our boat for this season. Too many things to catch up on after playing all summer at the lake and the drag strip. Jim .

Jim you race too? Or are you a spectator? A friend of mine had a vega that I did a couple passes with. He is now building a valiant. Just had the motor dynoed it is like 750 hp and tons of torq. He also has a new dodge challenger drag pack coming soon. Can't wait to get that and go for a ride

jimmobius
11-03-2009, 11:41 PM
I am a participant. Sport compact , turbo awd, Eagle Talon. I am in the 13's and shooting for the 12's this season. Had some issues with the tranny and have to rebuild it again. Lots of fun though. I would rather participate than spectate. Jim.