PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Stainer

Garn
10-23-2009, 06:37 PM
I read the thread on installing a Fresh Water Strainer. Two questions. One, I wasn't sure on what hose it goes on. Does it go on the house that runs from my fresh water intake to my impellar? And second, where is a good place to buy a strainer?

Thank you,

Garn

mcdye
10-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Do search on fresh water strainer. You want it located before any other components. Look for a locations near the hull inlet. I got my parts from www.skidim.com

cab13367
10-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Garn,

Not sure which boat you have but you will want to put it on the intake hose. On my boat, the intake hose goes from the intake scupper under the hull to the v-drive. It's the big hose in the middle of the picture below.

If you have a DD, the intake hose could very well go from the intake scupper directly to the raw water pump.

Al

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/Winterizing/IMG_3048.jpg

Razzman
10-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Checkout Discount Inboard Marine (http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1006)

Garn
10-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks guys.

Garn
11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Does it matter if the strainer is poking up or does it have to be poking down? On my DD the intake hose runs right along the bottom of the engine compartment into the impellar. It would be a piece of cake to just cut into it there and install the strainer with it poking up. That way I wouldn't need any 90 degree fittings or anything like that.

Garn

DOCDRS
11-03-2009, 01:56 PM
no doesn't matter, up, down,sideways. advantage of down is the water wont get in your bilge when you take it off. On my dd it was to the stern of the oil filter higher than the transmission. If it was forward of the oil filter i would have had a prob removing and reinstalling new on i believe, and i always fill the filter with oil before installing so i needed the room to keep the oil filter upright. But on the 99's the tranny cooler was before the impeller beside the oil filter