PDA

View Full Version : Lake Travis (Austin)

BOOM-BA
05-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Does anybody board lake travis in Austin? I'm planning a trip and want to know the best place to go for boarding at travis.

austinlsv
05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
The perdanales, it is all the way upstream. I would not advise boarding on Travis, Lake Austin is much smoother.

tjramsey
05-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Sandy Creek arm, (where Volente Beach is) is often pretty good for boarding, from the main lake go about 1.5 miles in to where it takes a 90 degree turn to the left, and look for smooth water on one side of the bend or the other. That said, austinlsv is right, Lake Austin is almost always better for boarding. If you are going to Travis, try to go on a weekday, or at least as early in the morning as possible.

TJ

BOOM-BA
05-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the input. I hear that on Memorial Day weekend its pretty crazy on Travis? What can I expect for that weekend? I will probably make a 3-4 day trip to cruise Travis and board on Lake Austin.

tjramsey
05-14-2004, 12:52 PM
I keep my boat on Lake Travis, and I will NOT be going anywhere near there Memorial Day weekend. Lake Austin is crazy busy that weekend as well. If you must go boating Memorial day weekend, I guess I would say that on either lake, the further upstream, the better (that would be Northwest, generally. PWCs are banned from Lake Austin on holiday weekends, so at least you only have to watch out for regular boats, but boy are there a lot of them, and I don't know where the heck they come from! It seems like there a re twice as many boaters around, and many, MANY of them really seem to not have a clue what they are doing, I guess if you only go boating once a year on a big holiday weekend, that's what happens.

I don't mean to make it sound THAT bad, I'm sure you will have a good time. I last went out on memorial day weekend on my 16ft 1970 correct craft, and basically swore it off forever after that experience. (it was still fun, but not relaxing while underway.)

Good luck,
TJ