PDA

View Full Version : Got on the water today

you da man
10-18-2009, 08:24 PM
After 2 straight weekends of solid rain I finally got a chance to go out on the lake today. Prior to the rain the lake was down 7-8ft and is now about 3ft low. The docks near the ramps are floating now at least. Air temp today was 75 degrees and water was 73-74 degrees. Prior to the rain the water varied from 76-78 depending on where you were on the lake. I wore my new heater top which worked great and kept me warm between sessions and made it easier to re-enter the cooler water. Only saw one other boat with a wakeboard rider (an older Moomba), everything else was bass boats and a couple runabouts. Maybe one or two more weekends left.

graybmg
10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
you da man,

how the hell is your water 10 degrees warmer than Alabama water??? I was out there today too and we have 66 degree water. A bit nippy but I had fun anyway! Love it out there man!

you da man
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
you da man,

how the hell is your water 10 degrees warmer than Alabama water??? I was out there today too and we have 66 degree water. A bit nippy but I had fun anyway! Love it out there man!

I live just north of Austin, TX where water temps are reported at 74-75. In the Dallas/Ft. Worth area which is 2.5hrs north of me, they are reporting water around 73 at Lake Lewisville and someone mentioned high 60's at Lake Worth in Ft. Worth. Not too long ago we were at 86 degrees.

sandm
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
with that water temp and air temp, what are you doing wearing a top?????

man, we have water temps that max out in the upper 60's in the middle of the summer and we are riding with just boardshorts on...

i'd be in heaven down there right now :)

kinda fun to watch the guys in the bass boats cruise the lake. have to go balls-out anywhere they go. we have a ton of them here and I could sit on a dock and watch them all day. they're funny...

graybmg
10-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I envy you man! Take a look at my thermometer. A tad cooler. I though Alabama wearther was the best until now! Glad for you, keep boating as long as you can. I'm probably going to turn the boat in before November hits. Just not into the cold water. Of course, Florida has everybody beat.

viking
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
with that water temp and air temp, what are you doing wearing a top?????

man, we have water temps that max out in the upper 60's in the middle of the summer and we are riding with just boardshorts on...

i'd be in heaven down there right now :)

kinda fun to watch the guys in the bass boats cruise the lake. have to go balls-out anywhere they go. we have a ton of them here and I could sit on a dock and watch them all day. they're funny...

Diddo..........talk about a long season everywhere but MT and Idaho.

jimmobius
10-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Colorado...

viking
10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Colorado...

OH YA - Sorry.
Short seasons in Colorado, Wyoming and ND.
Although I don't know if you can boat anywhere in ND :)

10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
OK we were out on friday and the water was 43, air was about 48. Beat that :)

It was a disaster BTW, and overall terrible and expensive day.

jimmobius
10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear about your day . You never know what will come up out on the lake.
jim

cab13367
10-18-2009, 11:25 PM
After 2 straight weekends of solid rain I finally got a chance to go out on the lake today. Prior to the rain the lake was down 7-8ft and is now about 3ft low. The docks near the ramps are floating now at least. Air temp today was 75 degrees and water was 73-74 degrees. Prior to the rain the water varied from 76-78 depending on where you were on the lake. I wore my new heater top which worked great and kept me warm between sessions and made it easier to re-enter the cooler water. Only saw one other boat with a wakeboard rider (an older Moomba), everything else was bass boats and a couple runabouts. Maybe one or two more weekends left.

da man,

If the water temp was 73-74, why only two more weekends left? Do you expect the water temp to drop quickly?

Sorry to hear it - what happened??

viking
10-18-2009, 11:27 PM

We get that weather all the time. Normal this time of year. But that is too cold for me!! I'm a brave one compared to some and will call a 75 degree/60 degree water a good day. But 48 and 43 - That's nuts.
Sorry you didn't enjoy it more. It can be cold but if there's glass out there it can sometimes be worth it!

you da man
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
da man,

If the water temp was 73-74, why only two more weekends left? Do you expect the water temp to drop quickly?

Night time temps are getting in the low 50's and upper 40's so I figure the water temps will drop soon with the day time temps coming down as well. All my boating friends refuse to get in the water so I think it's going to be hard to find people to go out with. The lake I go to is a large lake but not known for core riders and wakeboats so I haven't met anyone else that would share a pull or want a pull since I'm new to wakeboats.

liquidlite
10-19-2009, 09:56 AM
northern indiana got up to about 54 yesterday. Water temps right around the same. Pretty soon it will be time to bust out the heater tops.

sandm
10-19-2009, 10:01 AM
Hopefully next weekend it will hit 80 and with the wet suits on we will go skiing! :)

that's the funniest thing I have read all morning. you put 80 and wetsuit in the same sentencehttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing001.gif

yearround
10-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Colorado...

nay nay my friend, went out today for monday night ride. had the lake to our selves, water was 55, air was 70ish. i put on my dry suit just cuz i had it, had a girl with us who wore a heater shirt and and board shorts. she did use the neo boots and gloves.

if the water is soft lets go for a ride!

you da man
10-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Water is now a brisk 72 as of this morning at the ramp

graybmg
10-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Odd weather year...finally my weekends are decent. Skied Sun (10/25) with water at 66 degrees, air just over 70. Looks like this weekend will be even better with mid 70s. Only wore my rash guard shirt and my regular trunks. It's not over yet!

you da man
10-26-2009, 10:15 PM
This weekend is looking almost 80 degrees but we got a couple inches of rain last night and today so it may have chilled the water a bit. Went kayaking yesterday a couple hours south of here and water temps in the river were 62

graybmg
11-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Did it again today (11/01/09), water 65 degrees, wore the shorty. I'm feeling like I can make it to spring now. Got a couple of odd looks while skiing. But I'm realizing that you can keep going, just need the right apparel. Here's the facebook post.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1199529001425

you da man
11-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Today was 68 water temp by the dam and a little cooler in the upper arms

mmandley
11-02-2009, 12:36 PM
GrayBmg awesome man that looks like it was a ton of fun man.

I'm not on your friends list so i couldn't post a reply to your video. I have Facebook and tons of photos on it.

FlatH20. You know they says its bad when you let the smoke out of the box. LOL

graybmg
11-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey mmandley,

It was fun. I think I'm going to try it again this weekend. We are supposed to be in the 70s and sunny all week so water should still be tolerable. I'm running out of drivers though! Can you believe it? It goes below 75 and these crazy Alabamians pull out the sweaters...

eseebeck
11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
We're bundled up here in Michigan, boats are winterized, fireplaces are burning and were waxing the snow skis. The famous white tail deer will be out soon, to give us some recreation though, keep our mind off you guys still skiing.

sailing217
11-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Last run of the year this weekend coming up in Ohio. Air in upper 60's and water a chilly 49. Daughter and I will wearing wetsuits and try not to fall much. We might just surf as we boarded last week when the water was a warm 52 LOL

Big Boss
11-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Hit Lake Austin yesterday, air temp 78, not sure on water temp, but no higher than low 60's. I'm still trunking it, but the wife and some of my lesser endowed friends are wearing the shorty suits already. Hot water shower on the swim platform makes it a little easier.

You da man, if you can't find peeps to ride, head down here. We ride Lake Austin all year.