PDA

View Full Version : Marina performs winterization, is this a good price?

graybmg
10-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey guys,

I trust everyone here and this is my first year to have a boat. My marina gave me a price list today for winterization $399! It includes:

engine oil and filter change
fuel filter replace
upper and lower gearcase oil change (what is this?)
check and fill power steering
check and tighten belts
grease all fittings
fog engine for storage
drain manifolds and block
add antifreeze
add fuel stabilizer

Is this reasonable? I know it can be done for far less by myself, but I'm not so inclined to want to do this. Is it a jyp? If so, I can call someone else out to do the work. How far off base is it?

Thanks for your help guys!
Brian

sandm
10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
dealer here charges a lot less for that. iirc, it's around 275, 325 with impeller.

seems steep for what you are getting...

check other boat dealerships or ask around for some local mechanics that work out of their own shop.

graybmg
10-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Sandm, thanks for the input. I'm flying blind. Don't want to get ripped off. Also, I guess the skype call will happen at a later date!

moombadaze
10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
hate to say but sounds wrong

there is no upper and lower gearcase oil--thats only for i/o's(inboard/outboard) or outboards have lower gearcase fluid. Now you do have a transmission and posssible v-drive.

there is no power steering on any moomba's--its a cable direct from the steering wheel to the rudder.

no anti freeze unless you have the saltwater cooling system-thats a radiator type heat exchanger.

now its possible they are just qouteing you a generic winterization, and if so your price should be lower cause you dont have some of those items

Razzman
10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I paid $190 for that very same service as you listed last year. I'd be checking around if i was you.

graybmg
10-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys, it was just a price list I picked up for generic winterization. I will call to get specific quote for my inboard. I think most at my marina are in/out. I just want to make the call without sounding totally uninformed. I will try to bargain for something, plus shouldn't impeller be included too?

moombadaze
10-18-2009, 08:29 PM
yes on the impellar-should be done yearly or every 2 years, and keep the old one just in case or for some other boater in need.

deerfield
10-18-2009, 09:04 PM
gratbmg - Here's the price breakdown for winterizing my 2007 Outback: engine $149, ballast system $89, heater $50, and oil change $99. Usually took the dealer about an hour to do the work. Summerize consisted of putting the drain plugs back in and reattaching the lines. Charge: $119.

With the warranty period ended, I now do the work myself.

Rather than drain everything, I run antifreeze through the cooling system. Heat the engine up to operating temperature to ensure the thermostat opens and antifreeze runs through the heater core. Change the oil and filter while the engine is warm. Disconnect the ballast and bilge lines, and blow them out. Remove the battery and bring inside.

That's it. I figure my annual combined winterize/summerize cost dropped from approximately $550 (including taxes and cost of fuel for the 140 mile round trip to the dealer) to the cost of oil, filter, and anitfreeze. Impeller is extra cost.

Good luck. - Deerfield

viking
10-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Ya - it sounds a little steep. Alot steep actually.
My Winterize and Service was $150 (parts and labor). That included running antifreeze through it and ballast system and oil change.
My bill was same as they charge you there but included all parts and labor for depth guage and transducer as well.
I'd look somewhere else.

As for tranny fluid, my dealer said not to worry about it this year and they recommend every few seasons at most. Said they go along time before change?

graybmg
10-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Got it, I thought $400 sounded steep. I'll see if someone else will do it for less! Thanks for everybody's help.

cab13367
10-18-2009, 11:52 PM
My first thought on reading the list is that it was the description for an I/O winterization. Doing it yourself is not very difficult - see my winterization post on this forum. It will save you lots of money over the years.

If you are not interested in doing it yourself, I suggest you take it someplace that works on inboards on a regular basis.

Al