PDA

View Full Version : Repairs that you ALWAYS take to the dealer?

WaterBullDawg1980
10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Just wanted to put out a question to everyone as to what repairs/service do you always leave for your local dealer?

I am putting together a list of things that I believe I either do not have the equipment for or think the risk of me messing something up is just too great. Then my next challenge is to find a local dealer who I trust. Apparently the Moomba dealer in Atlanta is changing. :(

zabooda
10-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Warrenty only. The best mechanics don't work in dealer shops and I would go to a dealer as last resort.

WaterBullDawg1980
10-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I should have been more clear. My question really is, what projects do you guys never try to tackle yourself and leave for a professional?

sandm
10-13-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm new to the whole boating scene, so I can't say that there is a list for me, but in my automotive world, there's nothing short of an engine rebuild that I would not tackle. seems that, like the car world, there's more than enough help around the interwebs to get help on any task you want to tackle. it really boils down to an individual's comfort level around mechanical things...

I won't forget buying my last '06 mitsu evo9. drove the car back from cali, had 1000 miles on the clock, the next weekend, the wife came out into the garage to find the entire top half of the motor torn up for new cams/springs/retainers. needless to say she freaked out :) last time she has ever questioned me working on a car...

I second zabooda's comment as well on shop mechanics.. our dealer is good, but expensive...

maxpower220
10-13-2009, 12:45 PM
When the expense to purchase special tools outweighs the cost of taking to the dealer/repair shop, then I let someone else do it.
Also, I look at the cost of time. How much time will it take me and how much is my time worth. So far, I have only found a few things that I let other people do.