PDA

View Full Version : Post Boat Season Depression?

newty
10-12-2009, 11:49 PM
Also known as PBSD.
Maybe I'm all alone here but I sure get it bad around this time.

Since boating is our primary family investment, we don't spend a lot of money or time on other winter stuff like: skiing/snowboarding, sleds, fishing/hunting etc.
What do you guys do to pass the time, besides drinking heavily? I usualy find myself sitting in the boat in the cold garage thinking about summer ... drinking heavily.:p

The good thing is I'll be here a lot more thinking of things I can do to my boat!!!
Bring on the boat mod's!!

zabooda
10-13-2009, 12:48 AM
I picked up a dual sport motorcycle four years ago and never thought much of the winters after that. You live in a great area where the winters are mild enough to ride and after the initial investment the costs are rather minimal around $5 for a day of riding. I belong to a riding club that has a lot of family outings and campouts and the expensive part is oufitting the kids.

I'll be leaving this weekend with three other people for Moab (all water skiers). I have gotten where I am just as enthused with the rain and winter coming as I do the boating in the summer.

10-13-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm right there with you Newty. I HATE this time of year. I used to snowboard a lot in the winter before kids but it's much harder now. We live at a lake and take advantage almost every good day there is and I usually look forward to the fall for all the glass water but this year, fall was awful.

I'm installing a sub and a few other thigns this winter. It'll help pass the time but there is nothing like summer.

BensonWdby
10-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Spend a lot of time in the gym getting ready for skiing... Saying it and doing it are two different things...

sandm
10-13-2009, 10:20 AM
agree 100% with you newty. hanging in the boat in the garage and drinking a cool one will be happening here...

buddy is trying to get me to go snowboarding with him. says it's just like wakeboarding....

except it's snow, not water, hurts like h#ll when you fall, colder than crap outside so you have to wear 10 layers of clothing, and the cooler full of beer is 4 miles away in the car.. but I guess otherwise it's just like wakeboarding :)

official member of the "I HATE WINTER" club :)

jmvotto
10-13-2009, 10:30 AM
At least you get to sit in your boat play music, drink beer and dream of summer surfing and boarding.

Just took mine in for winterization and indoor storage. Can't see it touch it only dream about until may 1 2010. Come on summer.

SandM, there is a bar at the bottom of most ski resorts;)

got to get the skiis waxed for snow season

sandm
10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
newty, how come the garage is cold? we move our patio heater into the garage and use it during the winter. granted, sparingly as it's propane, but takes the bite off and can usually get the temps up to around 65 fairly quickly..

WaterBullDawg1980
10-13-2009, 11:10 AM
I too enjoy a cold beverage while sitting in my boat. I put on some music, open a beer and kick my feet up.

My wife, while disturbed, tolerates my sickness.

Although, I am glad to say, I still have a few more weeks of boat season down here in Ga!!

jimmobius
10-13-2009, 11:44 AM
I have the same problem, I hate hibernating!! Our winters here are sort of tolerable to say the least. I am leaving for Arizona next week with the boat in tow hopefully, and will spend 10 days around there discovering the lakes. After that, work on the hobby car, drink beer, boat show in January, maybe hit the slopes this season after 2 years of not doing it. February maybe Mexico vacation for a week . Put the boat in the garage for cleaning , polishing, canvas work , etc.. getting ready for 2010 season.
Jim

deerfield
10-13-2009, 01:06 PM
maybe hit the slopes this season after 2 years of not doing it.

Jim - You're killin' me. One of my favorite places on planet earth is the Colorado Rockies. Every business trip to Fort Collins, summer or winter, has included al least two additional days for side trip to one of the resorts west of the Divide along I-70. Family vacations have included several 2,000 mile road trip to the Rockies, summer as well as winter. Even talking about spending our upcoming twenty-fifth wedding anniversary in the Rockies. For all of the jealous flatlanders here in the Midwest, this season you gotta get back up into those mountains! - Deerfield

KT Mobius
10-13-2009, 01:17 PM
It's comforting to know Im not the only one out there with the same sickness. Maybe we can get a weekly support group together. It would something like this, " hi my name is kt möbius and Im addicted to my boat". Hang in there guys I feel your pain.

sandm
10-13-2009, 01:26 PM
who wants to set up the conf. call for this?? :)

newty
10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
WaterBullDawg1980 My wife, while disturbed, tolerates my sickness.

I about fell out of my chair when I read that!!:p:p:p

WaterBullDawg1980
10-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone, My name is WaterBullDawg and I am not sure why my wife sent me here. I dont have a problem! I just love my boat, whats wrong with that? It's all of YOU who have the problem!

;)

tprkolbas
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
i spent last off season searching the internet for deals on upgrades - speakers, ballast, wakeboard equipment, etc. it was time consuming, but i got some great deals and had some stuff to really look forward to.

bjames
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
i spent last off season searching the internet for deals on upgrades - speakers, ballast, wakeboard equipment, etc. it was time consuming, but i got some great deals and had some stuff to really look forward to.

Thats exacly what I do.... I look for upgrades for the new season. I already purchases new Titan spinner racks, Next I am thinking of getting a sundeck cover made out of beach towel to snap onto the sun deck for when we are wakeboarding - it should help protect the vinyl. :)

you da man
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Air temps are looking like 77-78 for Saturday/Sunday here and water temps in 73-74 range. I might get the cajones up and make a few passes.

sandm
10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
^^ those conditions above and I'd be all over it. wouldn't even have to think about it...

had a chance to install the speakers/amp yet or is that this winter??

you da man
10-13-2009, 06:30 PM
^^ those conditions above and I'd be all over it. wouldn't even have to think about it...

had a chance to install the speakers/amp yet or is that this winter??

^^^probably won't happen for a couple more months. So in the meantime, the HP 770's and the amps are staring me in the face in my spare bedroom.

sandm
10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
yea, know what you mean. just got my skylon in-boat speakers today. been looking hard at amps. don't really have the cash(bonus not until end of nov) but want to do it all at once. narrowed it down to either kicker or soundstream. thinking hard about soundstream rubicon. good price, good specs and can fit 3 amps in the space of the 2 kenwoods currently installed. figure might as well do it once and right :)

viking
10-13-2009, 09:31 PM
Thats exacly what I do.... I look for upgrades for the new season. I already purchases new Titan spinner racks, Next I am thinking of getting a sundeck cover made out of beach towel to snap onto the sun deck for when we are wakeboarding - it should help protect the vinyl. :)

SPENDING MONEY...........that always helps.

newty
10-13-2009, 10:48 PM
You da man, 73-74 water temp? seriously we may get that warm around here for about a month, month and a half in the summer!
62-64 is about my limit for trunking it.

you da man
10-13-2009, 11:35 PM
You da man, 73-74 water temp? seriously we may get that warm around here for about a month, month and a half in the summer!

95% of the people here have called it quits even with 75-76 degree water. I can go down to 71-72 without wearing a heater top (Jet Pilot F35). Just a month ago our water temps were 84-86 but we've had a lot of rain the past 2 weeks straight so the surface temps may be down to the low 70's.

sandm
10-14-2009, 06:14 AM
I'm with newty. 70 is tops here in the middle of august. most of the time, it's in the mid-60's. I'd kill for the temps you have and probable be riding an empty lake :)

cab13367
10-14-2009, 09:43 AM

Yup, water temp was 54 this past Saturday on the river when I winterized!

I don't even know what 84-86 degree water feels like :)

Jeff W
10-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I'm experiencing sever post boat depression currently

sailing217
10-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I have the sickness. I believe I'm still at step one 'DENIAL'.

Air temps are upper 40's for a high, water is in the 50's. Boat is still not winterized cause well 'damn, we rode last year until the first week of November. This year we were shut down 3 weeks into September.' Nighttime temps are not freezing yet and next week are some 60's in the forcast. Hopefully they hold for the last ride...

Some small projects over the winter but the boat is pretty much the way I want it.

jester
10-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Who in the world would call it quits with water temp above 75. I think us northwest guys need to do a road trip this next summer so we know what it feels like to have water temp above 75*'s.

Also it is too bad i cannot drink at work since it is raining outside right now it is now getting into winter time. I am holding out hope for 2 more weekends on the water.

sandm
10-14-2009, 04:16 PM
going to be 70 here on saturday. have a wetsuit ready to go. winterized the boat last weekend and have to work on saturday :(
think I'll drink a beer saturday night in the boat, make vroom noises and pretend that I'm on the lake..

jester
10-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Don't forget to fill a kiddy pool behind the boat, put on the wetsuit and ski and attach a rope to the boat and hold onto the handle. Beer in one hand and handle in the other. Just like being on the like.

graybmg
10-14-2009, 06:52 PM
I have this illness too. I'm serious. I'm depressed and the water temp here is still above 70. Summer water is waaay into the 80s and I guess we hit 90s, sometimes it's actually not comfortable to get in.

The depressing part is that everyone is packing up and leaving. And I feel like summer left without saying goodbye. We got so much damn rain this year. I'm buying a spring suit next week. I just can't bear the thought of it ending.

And I'll be having a beer with you guys in spirit too. Probably more than one;)

brenpire
10-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Brothers from another lake. I was about to go out for 1 last run on the weekend. Soon as i put my wet suit on it hailed, then snowed a bit. i chickened out after that.

winterizing this coming weekend. getting excited about scrubbing alage off the bottom of the boat..

I love the conference call idea. who is going to organize that?

anyone up for a wakeboard trip in march? the projects maybe?

graybmg
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
We could conference on skype. Who's in?

sandm
10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
i'd be in but what's skype?

and only one ground rule:

one MUST be in a boat and "drink" in hand. preferrably being chilled by a moomba koozie :)

graybmg
10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
ha ha. Of course drink in hand and at least one finished. Skype is an online way to communicate if you have a microphone and even better if you have a cam. Go to skype.com to get the details.

newty
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
Thats a great idea!

jmvotto
10-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Sign Me Up!!! 6" of snow expected today 10/15/09 COME ON!!!!

may start drinking earlier than expected

Brad, welcome to NY :shock:

KT Mobius
10-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Name the time and day and I'm in. I'm interested in talking to others who have done the FAE mod.

sandm
10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
i'd have to get skype-friendly, but I'd be in as well..

someone would have to tell me what I would need :)

jester
10-15-2009, 02:48 PM
You guys are crazy talking about a phone help group. Good thing i have a wireless headset so i can have a beer in both hands as i talk with you guys. I am in.

graybmg
10-15-2009, 07:41 PM
i'd have to get skype-friendly, but I'd be in as well..

someone would have to tell me what I would need :)

You need a computer, which I have to assume you already have, and at the very least a microphone, even better if you have a cam to go with it. Then go to skype.com and create an account.

Then we need to pick a time. Let me make some proposals:

Tonight @ 8pm CST (anybody up for a test call) 10/15/09
Saturday @ 4pm CST
Sunday @ 4pm CST
Sunday @ 8pm CST
Monday @ 8pm CST

I've got the same skype name: graybmg
I think I'll try it at 8pm Central U.S. Standard time. Ring me up if you get online.

graybmg
10-15-2009, 08:50 PM
sandm,

If you need more help, let me know. I'll walk you through it. No prob.

sandm
10-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I'd be down for monday. gives me time to get the requisite computer hardware...

I don't own a camera or microphone/headset, nor do I know how to get one plugged into my laptop, but I'll work on it sunday :)