PDA

View Full Version : propellor replacement

markgreenberg
10-12-2009, 04:29 PM
I am looking to replace my prop. I have a 2007 Outback V.
Any suggestions

sandm
10-12-2009, 05:26 PM
little more info.
what do you have on there currently?
what do you spend most of your time doing?
why do you dislike the prop on there currently?
how much weight and peeps do you run with?
where are you located?

answer these questions and more answers will come..

markgreenberg
10-12-2009, 08:13 PM
we do about 2/3 waterskiing and 1/3 wakeboarding
i am at lake simcoe in canada north of toronto
i have the original 4 blade prop on there now. i am replacing it because i have damaged my original and in speaking to another moomba owner he replaced his prop with an acme and is much happier with it.
he has an outback, so he suggested i solicit opinions of other outback v owners as to what the right choice is.;)

cab13367
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Mark,

Welcome to the forum. The other Moomba owner who replaced his prop from OJ to Acme, did he also change diameter and/or pitch? That would help explain why he would be happier with the Acme.

Skier's choice does have a prop they recommend for heavily ballasted boats. They call it the "wakeboard prop". It is 14.25"diameter x 14 pitch. The stock prop is 13.7x17.5 so the wakeboard prop gives you a lot more pull out of the hole at the expense of giving up some top speed and fuel economy (on a moderaly ballasted boat).

So if you mostly ski and don't do a lot of wakeboarding while sacked out, the stock prop is probably fine. To put it another way, were you unhappy with the performance of the boat with the stock prop and if so, what were you unhappy about? Once you tell us that, we can make some suggestions.

Al

markgreenberg
10-13-2009, 11:34 AM
generally happy.

Laz
10-13-2009, 11:57 AM
First, you have a nice looking boat. Almost as good ad the Outback in the next slip.

I bought an Acme prop based on the forum's recommendations. I was just looking for a backup prop. The big performance improvement was a bonus.

Has anyone seen an improvement in performance on the Outback V with Acme vs OJ props?

Mark, I don't think you need a prop designed for lots of ballast.

deepcove
10-14-2009, 12:12 AM
I bought an ACME 3 blade as a spare on my 04 LS that came with a 4 blade OJ prop. The OJ is now my spare. The ACME feels like a performance upgrade.

VA LSV
10-14-2009, 08:31 AM
You could get your stock prop repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

cab13367
10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
laz/deepcove

What are the specs on the OJ vs the Acme?

jmvotto
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I have the OBV 07 and I have the 13 x 17.5 4 blade wakeboard prop. This i believe was an uprade when i got the boat Oj just came out with the 14X14.25 ( heavyboat LSV, xlv ),ballast prop. to compete I assume with the acme blade

My .02 is get yours fixed by OJ or a local shop. Acme props are a bit thinner, SC puts OJ on their boats for a reason

We ski, board and wakesurf (900 lbs plus 6 peeps) without any problems, top end wot two peeps 1/2 wake plate is about 47 on smooth water.

the OBV is a much lighter boat with less draft than the lsv, xlv. those boats certainly may need the xtra hole shot

theres a thread on here with a link to Wakeworld that is worth a read.

Laz
10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
laz/deepcove

What are the specs on the OJ vs the Acme?

I don't know the specs.. The recommended ACME prop was part #541.

There was a very noticeable improvement in both bottom and top end performance.

deepcove
10-15-2009, 09:55 PM
I bought the Acme # 543 which is pitched to carry an extra 1,000 lbs ballast.