PDA

View Full Version : Rhino liner

Bcoutsfly
10-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Anyone thought about replacing the worthless carpet with Rhino Liner? I know they offer custom color apps, just wondering if it would make sense on the floor. Seems like it would, it's not slip and durable. Anyone opinions?

Razzman
10-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Worst mistake you'll ever make. Besides what Ed said, it being ultra hard on feet and knees, it's a messy install and almost impossible to remove if you don't like it afterwards.

NCSUmoomba
10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
I like the concept, and want to do something like that with my boat, but not sure what product to use. I want to pull all the carpet out, finish the floor with something, and then get some carpets hemmed with snaps like the Axis and some MC's are done. That way, I can take out the carpets and clean them, and hose out the boat.

brain_rinse
10-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Snap out carpets would be one upgrade I'd gladly pay for.

_sT_
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Seadek would be an awesome floor. Not cheap though.

germa001
10-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I'm partial to the carpet, but if you wanted to take it out you could put down some non-skid paint. West Marine has a few different types. It wouldn't be as expensive as seadek or rhino lining. I have rhino lining in my truck, and although it is softer than line-x, I still wouldn't want to walk on it barefoot very much.

I saw an episode of ship shape tv where he used some non-skid paint to re-do the floor of a boat. It didn't look extremely difficult to do. afterwards you could probably put in some snaps for a removable carpet too.

Bcoutsfly
10-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I think the carpet is worthless because its not removable, it stains and mildews super easy, and nce the carpet is a year old its not as fluffy and soft as it was new. It basically makes the interior of my boat look like hell. No offense to Moomba or anything. :D

The Seadek concept is a good idea, I'll definitley look into that. What kind of price range am I looking at? Any ideas?

As far as the Rhino Liner goes, I guess that would be kind of hard on your feet and knees. Just figured since its skid proof and durable it would make sense in a boat.

Does anyone agree with me on the carpet though?

Bcoutsfly
10-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks but already tried. Out of everything I tried, that was the best method. You could see the dirt rising up,it was gross. haha.

you da man
10-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks but already tried. Out of everything I tried, that was the best method. You could see the dirt rising up,it was gross. haha.

How old is your boat and what are you doing or what is contributing to making the carpet that bad (stored outdoors, messy people, jello shots, the dreaded Doritos or Cheeto stains?)

Bcoutsfly
10-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Boats an 07' so not that old. When I bought the boat I was 20yrs old so I spent the first summer at party cove loaded with friends. I've spent the last 2years trying to clean it up. I strictly ride now so I want it nice again. Everything is in good shape except the carpet and some scratches on the hull.

newty
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
I think I'd like to do something for the floor in the lockers. It gets pretty nasty in there. My idea was to pull the carpet and put some kind of mat down that allows the water to drain into the bildge instead of just sitting in the carpet under the sacs.

I saw this on Jay Leno's Garage a while back and thought it would work really well.
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/extras-1/swisstrax-flooring/

Depending on how many tiles come in a box, I'd would split up a box with with my Moomba Homies.

Here is the link to thier website. Some of the other products they have may be a good alternative to carpet in your boat.
swisstrax.com

I feel the same way about my carpet:mad:

Speaking of Jay Leno's garage... everyone could use one of these. Just slap a roo sticker on the gas tank and your good to go!

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/extras-1/the-hossfly-by-boss-hoss/

you da man
10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
I like carpet (wish it was snap out) but when I did demo an Epic 23v a couple months ago the rubber floor they use felt great on the bare feet, soft but grippy, and appeared durable. Maybe you could try to find out who the supplier is of that material. Safe-floor makes boat flooring

cab13367
10-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I used to think I wanted snap in carpet. Then I spent some time on my brother's Crownline that had it. It was a pain removing it and hanging it up to dry (heavy and bulky), then cleaning the floor under it.

With limited space in the garage where I store my boat, I don't have room to hang and dry the carpet. As I anal as I am, I would have to remove it after every outing to dry it out as I do all the boards, ballast bags, life jackets, ropes, etc. Anything wet, I remove and hang dry then use a couple of cheap box fans to dry all the carpet out. They fit perfectly in the rear lockers. Having removal carpet means one more thing I have to remove and let dry.

I have the ultra thin pre-2007 carpet which works just fine for me (and dries quicker too). I just stay on top of it by vacuuming regularly and using carpet stain remover when I get the occassional spilled pop, etc.

Razzman
10-13-2009, 12:34 AM
I like carpet (wish it was snap out) but when I did demo an Epic 23v a couple months ago the rubber floor they use felt great on the bare feet, soft but grippy, and appeared durable. Maybe you could try to find out who the supplier is of that material. Safe-floor makes boat flooring

I believe it's Seadek that supplies for Epic. Look on their blog site and you can see. it

sandm
10-13-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree with the rear hatch carpet removal, and I'd be all over it except the sides that are carpeted as well. not sure what to do with them..
our center locker has a plastic black mesh that sits on the floor and the bag sits on it. that stuff would be great for the floor of the locker to place the bag on..

personally, I like the carpet and have seen a couple of pics of the interior of epics and looks like that floor takes just as much care and can get trashed as quickly..

Bcoutsfly
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree with the rear hatch carpet removal, and I'd be all over it except the sides that are carpeted as well. not sure what to do with them..
our center locker has a plastic black mesh that sits on the floor and the bag sits on it. that stuff would be great for the floor of the locker to place the bag on..

personally, I like the carpet and have seen a couple of pics of the interior of epics and looks like that floor takes just as much care and can get trashed as quickly..

I dread opening up the ski locker, it's a sespool. I take out the center sac once every few weeks to spray it all down. If you get that horrid smell in there like I do, poor some bilge cleaner in there. Makes it smell good and is mold preventive. I may try to take that mesh out, seems like thats part of the problem other than not having a plug in the bow.

sandm
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
mesh is just set in there. it's easy to take out. I had not ever removed mine after 2 years. big mistake. it was nasty...
I would think that the plug would just let water accumulate in there and not have anywhere to go, especially since we take water over the bow a couple of times a year :(

I learned after cleaning it out that I will be taking the ballast sack out after every outing to clean it up..

carpet in the back just doesn't make sense though. that should be some sort of finished fiberglas imo.

cab13367
10-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I dread opening up the ski locker, it's a sespool. I take out the center sac once every few weeks to spray it all down. If you get that horrid smell in there like I do, poor some bilge cleaner in there. Makes it smell good and is mold preventive. I may try to take that mesh out, seems like thats part of the problem other than not having a plug in the bow.

I took out the ski locker liner out right away and never used it again since I drain all the water and wipe down the ski locker every outing. I think that liner is to protect your skis if you store them in there.

mesh is just set in there. it's easy to take out. I had not ever removed mine after 2 years. big mistake. it was nasty...
I would think that the plug would just let water accumulate in there and not have anywhere to go, especially since we take water over the bow a couple of times a year :(

I learned after cleaning it out that I will be taking the ballast sack out after every outing to clean it up..

carpet in the back just doesn't make sense though. that should be some sort of finished fiberglas imo.

I put my wakeboards and surfboards in the rear lockers when going from the house to the lake and back so I like it that it's carpeted. I bought a couple of 18" box fans from Home Depot that fit perfectly in there. I run them overnight when I put the boat away (in the garage) and the carpet is all dry the next morning.

Bcoutsfly
10-13-2009, 10:44 PM

The carpet it the rear didn't make sense to me for the longest time until I rode with a Moomba rep. He told me that the carpet in the engine compartments were for noise reduction. I guess it's super loud without it. Kind of a lose lose situation for the rears.

Bcoutsfly
10-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I put my wakeboards and surfboards in the rear lockers when going from the house to the lake and back so I like it that it's carpeted. I bought a couple of 18" box fans from Home Depot that fit perfectly in there. I run them overnight when I put the boat away (in the garage) and the carpet is all dry the next morning.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea. Also West Marine sells a humidifier/heater until that you place in the middle of the boat after every outing, it's supposed to dry everything up really quick. It's around $60.

bjames
10-15-2009, 01:27 PM
Has anyone ever removed the carpet? I am wondering how well finished the substrate would be. I would be surprised if you found smooth polished gelcoat under the carpet, perhaps you would see a rough film of adheasive? But who knows... I personally like the wall to wall carpet as it looks more finished.

BUT I have to agree that the carpet seems to show its wear too soon IMO. My 2009 LSV only has 47 hours, but the carpet seems to be packing in a lot of areas - kind of like a 10 year old home carpet in heavy traffic areas.

If I ever had to replace the carpet, I would probaly go with a similar color super hi-grade commercial exterior UV stabilized "sculpted" berber type to lay througout the cabin area. There are actually some nice good exterior carpet out there that rival the high end interior stuff.

But... this spring I will shampoo the carpet through out.:)

bjames
10-15-2009, 01:32 PM
I bought a couple of 18" box fans from Home Depot that fit perfectly in there. I run them overnight when I put the boat away (in the garage) and the carpet is all dry the next morning.

Help me understand this better... Do you just store the fans in the rear storage or did you somehow 'mount' the fans so that all you have to do is plug them in and the fans will blow air from inside the storage and up through the base of the seats? Beciase that sound like a pretty good idea. If this is the case, do you have photos of your set up?

Geeze... if a person really wanted to get creative, they could mount small fans in certain locations wired to a switch so when you come home, you flip a swich and a half dozen fans all over the boat will start circulating air to dry things out - built in ventilation system.;)

mcdye
10-15-2009, 01:44 PM
I use a shopvac then when backed in the garage basement I have a hanging box fan that I turn on for a few days and leave the compartments open to air out.