PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable

MEDIC151
05-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Has anyone had any trouble with the steering cable getting stiff and making the steering wheel hard to turn? I noticed at the end of the last season that turning the wheel was getting harder. I got the boat out the other day and it is really stiff and hard to turn. I asked the dealership and they said that it was the steering cable, I just don't know what causes it to do that. I guess that I will have to take it in to be replaced. Let me know if there any of ya'll that have had any similar experiences. Thanks in advance.

Medic

willnorton
05-04-2004, 07:59 PM
I've had problems with both steering and throttle/shift cables stiffening up on previous boats (not Moomba). This is especially a problem if you operate a lot in salt water, as I do. The solution is rigorous preventive maintenance -- make sure the dealer lubes your cables when you take it in for service. There's also supposed to be a cable lubricating kit that you can buy if you want to perform the maintenance yourselef, but I don't know any details about it. However, once your cables have corroded too much, no amount of lubrication will return them to smooth function. Sounds like yours may need to be replaced.

MEDIC151
05-05-2004, 08:03 PM
I called about it the other day and there is apparently only a one year warranty on this. They said that it could be from lack of use, which i find hard to believe. I put 150 hours on it in 2 short seasons, but that may be minimal compared to some. 125.00 for the cable and 4 hours of labor at 80.00 an hour is the estimate for replacement. Thanks for the info on this. I'll have to check out my options.

Medic

willnorton
05-16-2004, 08:31 PM
Medic151

You can probably save a bunch by looking up an independent repair shop for this. The part will probably be about the same, but you'll should be able to save on labor. I used a small shop near me for my last cable replacerment and saved amost 40% over what the regular dealer wanted. Good luck.