PDA

View Full Version : Epic last outing of the year!!!

KurtL
10-10-2009, 08:59 PM
So two weeks ago we had our last outing of the year. Water was as flat as I've seen and the setting was incredible. No other boats on the lake! Today the temp was 3 F this morning. Great memories to carry us to 2010!!! Here are a few pictures.

KurtL
10-10-2009, 09:02 PM
A couple more pics.

ssmith
10-10-2009, 09:09 PM
Those pics are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

deerfield
10-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Holy Crap! Where in Montana is that lake? Is it near an airport? How much does a modest house cost? What are the closest winter ski resorts?

Sled491
10-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Easy Deerfield, easy boy :)

Beautiful background, great pics

viking
10-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Hey Kurt,
what lake is that? Is that in Glacier?
You don't see that kind of glass around MT very often.
But then again - you can't always go out first part of October either.
Nice pics..............

jimmobius
10-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Kurt, glad you could get out. No jackets? Isn't it amazing the conditions you can get there? I see you are skiing without a suit also. I was watching on the news Montana had 90 deg days late in the season , crazy weather up there. Cool in August and hot in Sept.
Jim.

KurtL
10-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Deerfield the answers are yes, and Whitefish Mountain Resort (AKA Big Mountain ski resort).

The lake is actually in Glacier National Park as Viking had guessed. First time we've ever been on this lake. They do have some restrictions being it's in the Park.

Jim no wetsuit. Air was 78-80F and water I'm guessing was about 63-65F. Truly the greatest lake I've had the opportunity to ski.

Last night it was 5F for overnight low. High was 31F. It's going to be a long winter. (So deep south Moomba owners how's Florida for skiing in March?:cool:)

deerfield
10-11-2009, 01:32 PM
KurtL - Found this picture on the Glacier National Park web site. Near perfect setup. Snow ski in winter and water ski in summer. Both right there. I read the Park's boating rules. Nothing unreasonable about them. Skiing is restricted to two of the lakes, including Lake McDonald. - Deerfield

Did some checking of air service. Closest airport is Missoula. Takes most of a day through connecting city to travel from Missoula to East Coast. Ticket pricey, too. Probably not workable for weekly commute.

cab13367
10-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Kurt,

Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing. That's the kind of water you dream about.

KurtL - Found this picture on the Glacier National Park web site. Near perfect setup. Snow ski in winter and water ski in summer. Both right there. I read the Park's boating rules. Nothing unreasonable about them. Skiing is restricted to two of the lakes, including Lake McDonald. - Deerfield

Did some checking of air service. Closest airport is Missoula. Takes most of a day through connecting city to travel from Missoula to East Coast. Ticket pricey, too. Probably not workable for weekly commute.

Deerfield,

You and are are kindred souls. If I won the lottery, I would live in a ski in/ski out cabin in winter and on a lake in summer.

moombadaze
10-11-2009, 03:51 PM
(So deep south Moomba owners how's Florida for skiing in March?:cool:)

Awsome. its very hot out, water is still very warm and most people are not useing the lakes. This is the best time of the year down here.

Not sure on lake temp but, My pool is 86 today(not heated) and felt cooler than the lake.

Your lake photos are truly impresive-that is so beautifull.

KurtL
10-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Deerfield, Believe it or not the closest airport (Glacier Park International,FCA) is 15 minutes from our house in Kalispell. Daily flights to Minn/St paul, Seattle, Salt Lake, other season routes available.

On another note, 28 F and first snow of the season on the ground. Just got snow skis for the family this afternoon. Were newbies to mountain skiing, let the adventures begin!

deerfield
10-11-2009, 09:28 PM
KurtL - Looks like you have a great setup with Whitefish Resort about twenty minutes north of your town. Base elevation of 4,400 feet. No headaches from altitude sickness (like Breckenridge @ 10,000 feet). Nice vertical drop of 2,300 feet with terrain for every ability level. Average snowfall of 300 inches should keep you going into April. All I can say is get the season pass and take advantage of being so close to some great skiing! - Deerfield

sandm
10-12-2009, 05:51 AM
lived in kalispell back in '95 for a year, well actually across highway 2 from a town called kila about 5 miles out of kalispell. the most scenic place I ever lived and some of the nicest people we ever ran across.

I won't ever forget seeing lake macdonald our first trip into glacier.. remember something about the only ones that can own cabins on that lake are grandfathered, or something like that. lucky people.. store manager I worked for lived in lakeside on flathead lake. some guy building a crazy-big house on an island everyone was pissed about from his seaplane landing at odd hours.

always said I would love to have a summer house in bigfork or lakeside..
still keep in touch with a few up there and have heard the californians have been invading the last 10 years and it has lost some of it's charm that we remember, but still one of the best places I have lived..

SEARK
10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Just beautiful scenery there. Can't have water like that often enough.