PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Problem....Gear in jack broken

WaterBullDawg1980
10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I managed to break the bevel gear inside my jack yesterday. Now instead of the trailer lifting off my hitch, it simply keeps spinning when cranked and does nothing. I took off the cap and saw the top gear inside had broken in half.

Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Thoughts on using an outside jack to lift the trailer?

mmandley
10-10-2009, 06:11 PM
If all you need to do is get it off your truck then no reason you cant use a bottle jack or something of the sort. The frame of the trailer is designed to lift the boat up with only 1 side. The way its designed is 75% of the entire trailers load is right at the axles.

Grab a seperate jack and a peace of wood, lift her up and set her down on a jackstand. Get a new trailer jack installed and your set. man.

I keep the nose of my trailer on a jack stand already just so it cant move around while im in the boat in the garage.

zabooda
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
I've got to replace my jack next year and you can go on line and get a replacement. A necessary piece of equipment that needs to work properly and after two years I realized that.

WaterBullDawg1980
10-11-2009, 12:01 PM
The replacement part found is only $11-$12 so it looks like I can just replace that part and be all set.

Anyone ever replaced the gear bevel in the trailer jack? Looks simple, but Ive thought that before many fixes before. :(