PDA

View Full Version : poll: regular or synthetic oil

sandm
10-10-2009, 10:07 AM
so what do you all use? regular or did you switch to synth after the 100hr mark?
I am going to do my first winterization and wondering what everyone here has done, or if you just have the dealer do it and put in the factory fill pennzoil?

on a side note, let's not get into a debate on what brands suck or are better :)

dru1974
10-10-2009, 11:31 AM
dont know whats best, havent had a boat in a few years but a good question question for sure,we always ran regular oil in our old nautiques and supra's but the ls i just ordered will be my last purchase i think so i want it to last.

Razzman
10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm running regular dino now but will be switching at the next change.

Mikey
10-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Regular oil will do for the amount of use we do.If i was racking up huge hrs and or using the boat for hard use ALL the time i might consider the change,otherwise to me its just not justified.
I recently was told about a brand of synthetic thats 100% synthetic oil vs some of the others that are as low as about 9% synthetic, claiming with a warranty to allow up to 60,000 km or 40,000 miles of use.This is using a magnet attached to the side of the oil filter,to keep metal flakes from floating around as ALL filters do not have a life expectancy to allow for that kind of mileage.
I was told aprox 12,13.00 per litre/quart but at that kind of price vrs mileage and oil change intervals would maybe be worth using in my truck/tow vehicle. Going to look into this as i'm nearing an oil change anyway. Oil brand is MOTRLUBE only available through distributers though. Shouldn't be that hard to find/locate as i was given the name of a local distributer here in Calgary.

zabooda
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Cheapest brand name. Less than 50 hours a year, the oil comes out looking almost as good as new.