PDA

View Full Version : Cold outside but dont want to winterize

jester
10-09-2009, 12:31 PM
So this weekend i am planning to go wakeboarding both days but the over night lows are dropping into the low 30's saturday and sunday night. the boat is in a building but it is not heated and lots of air can get in. Is there anything i can do that would be a easy or long pull apart and out together so i can still go wakeboarding this weekend or do i need to do a full winterzation and be done for the year? I also have a heater. It is only 2 days that are getting that cold. Any help would be great.

skiyaker
10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I've heard of putting a low wattage light bulb in the engine compartment- anyone ever done this? I'd be a little worried that a spark could lead to blammo! I've also been told that if the temp drops briefly into the low 30s or high 20s you'll be ok which makes sense as the engine is probably a pretty big heat sink. Would love to hear from an experienced boater on this one.

seems strange that I'm alternating between the moomba forum and the wood burning stove forum (I have a used lopi freedom bay one the way- oops wrong forum!)

jester
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I have also heard about the light in the boat but the issue is that i do not have power where the boat is at. I called my dealer today and they said that getting into the 30's just over night should not cause an issue with the engine. I should blow out the heater since that takes a lot less to crack then the engine block. If anyone has any more advice i would love to hear it.

RobertJ
10-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Where are you planning to ride this weekend? I am trying to get one last run in as well.

cab13367
10-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Can you go get the boat, pull it back to your house, then put an electric heater in it??

jmvotto
10-09-2009, 09:11 PM
jester, put a bottle of water outside and see if it freezes, most like it is not going to get cold enough for a continuous freeze. you should be fine.

jester
10-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I will be out both Saturday and Sunday. I have a boat crew that is excited to go out. I really cannot tow back to my place since I live in a townhouse. Saturday night it is going to be 33* out so it makes me a little worryed.

jmvotto
10-09-2009, 09:33 PM
not to worry it has to be blow freezing for most of a 24 hour period.

Go A Rod........:D

zabooda
10-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Put a wireless thermometer in the engine compartment and and wake up all night looking at the temperature. This time of year a night around 27-28 degrees would be fine.

cab13367
10-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I will be out both Saturday and Sunday. I have a boat crew that is excited to go out. I really cannot tow back to my place since I live in a townhouse. Saturday night it is going to be 33* out so it makes me a little worryed.

Jester,

If they are calling for a low of 33 you should be fine. It would have to be below freezing for several hours before you need to worry about it.

NCSUmoomba
10-10-2009, 08:45 AM
yep, at 33 you will be fine. Of course it only takes 5 minutes to drain the block.

mmandley
10-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey Jester dont sweat it man. Its gonna be fine bro. You know as well as i do that 33 wont be till like 3Am and by 7 when the sun shows its goign to be back in the low 40s.

If you realy want to play it safe man pull the hoses off the impeller housing. Pull the plugs out of the block, and V drive and drain that water.

I really wouldnt worry to much about the heater system as wafer freezes it expeands and since your draining the rest of the system theres lots of air and space for anything expanding to move to.

newty
10-10-2009, 11:10 PM
2nd what jmvotto says, Its gotta be below freezing for 24 hours or better at even 29 before you have to worry. You'll be fine! I shoot for November before I winterize.

Ian Brantford
10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
The lake water will act as a huge heat buffer. Can you leave the boat in the water overnight? Putting covers on will also slow heat loss to the air.

jester
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Guy's thank you for all of your posts. I think i am going to pull the plugs tonight since i will not be out again for about 2 weeks. Thanks to Al's post i now know how to do this.

My only question is when i put the plugs back in do i need to put water in the system before turning her on or do i just drop her into the lake and turn her on and she will self prime?

cab13367
10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Just drop her in - no need to pre-fill.

Good idea draining the water considering your storage situation. Don't forget to disconnect & drain the hoses as well.

I winterized mine yesterday. Water on the river was 54 degrees! Stick me with a fork cause I'm done til next year!