PDA

View Full Version : Towel warmer

Fman
10-09-2009, 12:22 AM
After riding yesterday and the weather getting chilly here, I thought how nice it would be to build a towel warmer in the engine compartment. Having a warm towel after getting out of the boat in the late fall and early spring would be great. My friends Malibu LSV has a plastic tray that is used for this. I cant see any reasons why it would be a problem to have some type of tray built to extend across the top of the engine compartment to place towels/gloves to dry and warm up.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Do you think the engine compartment has to many fumes in it to create a problem? Would a sealed unit be a better solution to avoid any fumes from coming in contact with the towels. The Malibu has an open tray in the compartment.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks....

you da man
10-09-2009, 12:28 AM
I wish Moomba would come up with some sort of engine compartment tray like other highend boats have.

Razzman
10-09-2009, 12:41 AM
That's why i have a heater. ;)

sandm
10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
^^ second that..

yearround
10-09-2009, 09:52 AM
3rd the heater. when it is cooler weather, we usually have wet or dry suits on and really don't use towels any way. i guess i would like the engine tray to warm up a burrito or something like that.

how else do these tray get used? are they primarily to give you warm towels? i haven't seen them to know.

sandm
10-09-2009, 10:36 AM
I've seen them in a few nautiques if it's what I'm thinking of. just a tray that sits over the engine that becomes accessible once you open the engine hatch. good place to store ropes, gloves, etc. the ones that I have seen are only around 4-5" deep and just make the space useable over the engine when you have a deep-hulled boat.

engine compartment usually does not smell that fresh. not sure that I would want a towel getting warmed in that air...

jester
10-09-2009, 02:28 PM
3rd the heater. when it is cooler weather, we usually have wet or dry suits on and really don't use towels any way. i guess i would like the engine tray to warm up a burrito or something like that.

how else do these tray get used? are they primarily to give you warm towels? i haven't seen them to know.

That is a great idea. I like the burrito warmer. Also for a towel warmer you put it in front of the dirvers feet with a heater on it. Keeps my feet warm and the towel warm.

zabooda
10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm looking for something that is tailgate tested. Better yet, tailgate approved like the Shotte which is part shower and part latte machine. It's going to be a long winter.

Fman
10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
That's why i have a heater. ;)

I have a hotwater shower and a three vent heater on the boat with 2 pull outs, just thought it would be a nice addition to have a towel/glove warmer. I think all the Supra boats come standard with the three vent heater system.

Fman
10-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I've seen them in a few nautiques if it's what I'm thinking of. just a tray that sits over the engine that becomes accessible once you open the engine hatch. good place to store ropes, gloves, etc. the ones that I have seen are only around 4-5" deep and just make the space useable over the engine when you have a deep-hulled boat.

engine compartment usually does not smell that fresh. not sure that I would want a towel getting warmed in that air...

Yes, this is what I was referring to. I am going to have to do some research on how well this works and if owners are using them to warm towels.

mmandley
10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Towel warmer? I thought you all would know the trick to this by now. We leave the towel in the Ballast area between the bag and engine compartment. Run around doing our thing and when we stop the towels are always hot.

Never had a cold towel yet. Once there wet wring them out and lay them back in the ballast area between the bag and engine compartment and in about 15 to 20 minutes there dry and warm again.

Guess you could get some of those office organizers, the metal ones. Mount it in the back of the engine above the muffler. Might have to measure that out but opening the engine bay is a pain all the time LOL.

Sled491
10-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I know this isn't the answer your looking for, and by the way I like the way your thinking, but Drysuit, comforter, 3 tube heater and I'm good to go. They only other thing I want is a bow cover to keep the cool air from blowing through the boat.