PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Outback Questions

Klipper
10-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi All,

I am a new Moomba owner. Picked up a 2007 Outback with 50 hrs. Hope I can get some questions answered by the knowledgable people here. It is my first inboard. I am used to driving outboards and IO's but not used to the inboard!

Is it normal that at different speeds you need to have the steering wheel in different positions in order to go straight? For example, if I'm at idle speed or just a little more, the steering wheel is pionted dead centre (12 o'clock) to go straight. However, when i'm doing 30 mph the steering wheel needs to be pointed at 2 o'clock in order for the boat to be going straight. Is this type of thign normal on a dd inboard?

Is there any way to reverse straight or even towards the port side? I can only reverse towards the right.... Coaching welcome!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

cab13367
10-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Hey klipper,

Welcome to the family! I have not noticed the steering wheel position difference between different speeds when going straight. It's possible that at higher mph, the prop applies more torque steer to the boat so it needs a little more correction to go straight, but that's just a guess. It's also possible you have a very slightly bent tracking fin that would have the same effect.

Regarding backing up, I'm sure you've realized by now that the rudder has little effect so the rotation of the prop dictates which direction you go. There is really no way to remedy this. I just plan around it.

Al

viking
10-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Is there any way to reverse straight or even towards the port side? I can only reverse towards the right.... Coaching welcome!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I second that - just plan around it. I had a 90 supra before my 07 outback and it was a LH turn instead of the RH I have now. Just changes the way you approach docks and load/unload.

Klipper
10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks Viking.

How about the steering questions that I have. I see that you also have an 07 Outback. Does yours always track the eaxact same way despite the speed you are runnig at? Or does it change depending on speed?

Let me know.

Thanks.

you da man
10-08-2009, 11:06 PM
My XLV will "slightly" back up towards port side but like your Outback it's pretty much starboard side backup. We're pretty much at the mercy of the prop rotation. I too just joined the inboard (v-drive) world after only owning outboards. I test drove the Epic with dual rudders. That boat was incredibly manuverable in both directions equally forward AND backwards. I'm still getting used to approaching docks at a slight angle and then a quick tap into reverse will pull the back of the boat towards the dock...kinda like a bow/stern thruster effect.

viking
10-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Klipper,
I really hadn't noticed. This last summer was the first i had my new boat. I'll have to check next season as it's over here in MT now. I would imagine if does it would be due to the extra pressure on the rudder at higher RPM and speed of the prop. All I know is my boat tracks awesome whether pinned and crusing or towing a skier. Hardley need to touch the wheel!

deerfield
10-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Klipper - Starboard side is more controllable that port. Also, there is no way to reverse in a straight line as with an outboard or I/O. In a direct drive inboard boat, patience and bump of the throttle are best for approaching a pier, lift, or other boat. Wind can sometimes complicate things. With respect to the steering wheel, it will only be in the straight position when at 32+ mph. Slower than tournament speed and the boat will not run a straight line with the wheel held straight. Outback is a great model. Ordered my '07 at the boat show. Options include dual axle trailer, heater, docking lights, tower, ballast system, bimini, and upgraded sound system. We ski, wakeboard, skimboard, and tube. Congratulations and welcome to the Moomba family! - Deerfield

Sled491
10-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I ordered my 07 at the same time as Deerfield from the same dealer. We can attest to the reverse problem, no, not problem, just the way it is with a DD. Even the big Dive boats I go out on with a rudder and DD have this issue. As for the steering, it might just be a matter of you not being used to the rudder style steering, at speeds it is much more responsive, while at idle its almost like a dead stick. The rudder needs forward movement to work. If you think back to your outboards and I/O's and how the prop is turned with the lower unit, a little tiny light will come on and you'll get it :) Welcome to the club, soon you will never want to go back!

viking
10-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Sounds like we all have the same boat.
Deerfeild and Sled,
What upgrades have you guys done if any. Interested to know what you've done and why?
I'm in the process of adding tower speakers and upgrading with additional amps and possibly cabin speakers, have seadek ready to put on for next season, putting in depth finder (since mine wasn't ordered with that option), and thinking about upgrading back ballast bag to a 750 from 400lb. Just my short list for this winter...............
These forums are awesome and I am so addicted!!

Sled491
10-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Viking, I have a Z decals 1/2 wrap, upgraded cabin speakers to the Polks, fresh water strainer, sea deck Roo pad, after market depth gauge ( I didn't add it when I ordered, my bad), IPOD lead, Supra stainless steering wheel, 4 blade stainless prop, stainless bilge fitting.

I have no tower as I am a skier, but will probably add one soon as my son is getting to be a pretty good wakeboarder as well as skier and surfer. I want to add a sub and amp as well. Other than that maybe the flip over bow light and snap on bow cover.

I ordered my boat with 3 tube heater, PP, bimini, stainless apperance package, logo cover, and thats about it. I'm at 135 hrs and just in love as when I picked her up April 07 all shinney and new:)

NCSUmoomba
10-12-2009, 01:19 PM
My steering is the same way. I am assuming that becasue of the cavitation and torque of the water, that faster the boat goes, the more steering adjustments I have to make to counteract this force. I notice it mostly if I am running wide open and then pull it back to idle quickly (I try not to do this), then then boat will turn quite a bit as I slow.

deerfield
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
What upgrades have you guys done if any.

viking - Like Sled, I ordered my '07 Outback (at the boat show) with some factory options. But unlike Sled, I have not added or modified anything on the boat or trailer since taking delivery in April of 2007. My Outback: tower, 400 lb. ballast system, upgraded sound system (but no tower speakers), 3-tube heater, depth gauge, bimini top, boat buddy, upgraded color package, and dual axle trailer. It replaced a 1980 Ski Nautique. I ski. My boys mostly wakeboard (beginner to intermediate level). Am finishing the winterization and putting her away in the garage for the winter. - Deerfield

kaneboats
10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Best advice is to plan your moves ahead of time and approach from the easy side when you can. If you have to steer while backing up you have to punch it into forward and over-adjust your line then back up again till you're off line. If you go out alone and practice it will make a big difference.