PDA

View Full Version : wakeplate for 04 Outback

willnorton
05-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know if the hydraulic wakeplate will fit the newer Outback hull (i.e., 03 &04)?

jburnside
05-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Yes, The Outback is available with the Hydraulic Wakeplate. I went with an '03 Outback LS but I did look at the straight Outback, and our dealer was selling it as an option on that model. Highly recommended option by the way.

carsondoc
05-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I just intalled the Bennett X-22 wake plate (available through Overtons) on my '03 Outback this weekend. If you are interested in doing it yourself, let me know--got a few lessons learned.

The dealer will install one for about $800-$1,000.

willnorton
05-03-2004, 01:28 PM
For carsondoc.

If your 03 is a standard Outback (not LS), I presume your boat came with a small deflector plate installed on the hull bottom directly above the rudder. Did you have to remove this to install the Bennett X-22? Seems like $427 plus shipping and some elbow grease could save me about half what the dealer wants for installation of the Moomba part. Also, were you able to put the control switch in the factory dash panel, or did you have to make your own hole?

carsondoc
05-04-2004, 12:51 AM
Will,
I did have to remove the stock deflection plate. It came off fairly easily. I did not try to wire the actuator switch to the stock dash. The kit comes with a switch that I installed on the driver's side wall right in front of the throttle. I had to drill two 1 1/8" holes and do some fileing (the holes overlap and there is a template with the kit). I also installed a Bennett guage just to the right of the dash unit on that angled piece of fiberglass between the dash and the sidewall. I had to drill a 2" hole for that and file a bit. I could not find a guage that matched the existing guages so I bought the Bennett guage. Actually, it all looks pretty sharp. I'm going out this weekend to see if I got my moneys worth.

If you are going to do this, make sure you speak to Overtons directly and ensure they send you a bottom mount unit and not a transom mount unit. Also, you will need to grind off the corners of the mounting plate (just a little) so that the plate fits nicely in the preexisting insert left from the stock deflection plate (it has curved corners, if you look at it). Also, I found it pretty nerve-racking to drill 3/4" holes and mounting holes for the actuator cylinders in the transom (the mounting holes have to be exact). Drilling into the gelcoat and cranking screws into it is an art in itself. There are several other tidbits I learned doing this and will be happy to share them if you decide to do it.

willnorton
05-04-2004, 11:19 AM
carsondoc: thanks

The surface you put your gauge on is earmarked for my depth meter...might have to make some adjustments, I guess. About how many hours would you estimate it took you?

carsondoc
05-04-2004, 03:53 PM
I would guess that it took about 8 hours. I had to break it up over two days as I needed to keep going to the hardware store to get drill bits, files, electrical connectors, etc.

Da Man
08-11-2005, 10:16 PM
carsondoc :

How did the X-22 work out for you? Was it worth the time and money? I've got a 99 Outback Kanga and am interested in putting one on.

carsondoc
08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Da Man, The X-22 has worked out great. It's been maintainance free since I installed it last year and really does make a difference for the wake and ride of the boat. I'm happy I did it.

Is Overton's still selling the X-22? If not, the guys at Bennett were really great to work with and I'm sure they can help you out.

If you decide to do it, let me know and I can, hopefully, give you some insights I learned when I did it.