PDA

View Full Version : 1st REAL boat! Questions?

2007 Outback V
10-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Hello all,

After over a year looking for a boat I finally closed the deal on a '07 Outback V. 44 hrs, wakeplate, one ballast bag, kenwood 6 speaker, moomba cruise. Paid 23K, not too bad. The boat is in amazing shape, just needs to be cleaned and waxed (dirty carpet, vinyl, some pine needles). I'm just glad I don't have to sport the '89 Maxum anymore.

Just took the boat to get winterized at a local moomba dealer. ( I don't know anything about inboard maintanance) $291 stones later I feel like I was ripped off, didn't think it would cost that much? I read the winterizing procedure that was posted on the Forum and I feel that I am capable of taking on the task from now on. Plus they left a bunch of paper towel in the ski locker that is clogging the drain hole and about two or more gallons of water, NOT GOOD. At least they disconnected the ballast bag :x.

Anyways, this winter I would like to add tower speakers and I am considering adding two rear ballast bags (wake surfing is something I really want to try). I don't need competition speakers, I want something that I can hear while I'm boarding and doesn't have a ton of distortion. I have no clue what speakers to go with. I know I like the look of the aluminum bullet cans better. Anyone heard of SOUND STORM , MODEL F-365 speakers? http://cgi.ebay.com/WAKEBOARD-BOAT-TOWER-SPEAKERS-B-4-PAK-AMP-BULLETS_W0QQitemZ130328839818QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e5834468a
Does anyone have any recommendations?????

A subwoofer would be nice too.....Any kits out there that fit in front of the drivers seat?

What about adding ballast bags? How labor intensive is it and what will it cost me? Can I get a kit that can work with my stock system? I would like to control each bag independently. I had the dealership quote me for the bags while I was there and they gave me a figure like $2,400. Pretty steep I think.

Thanks for reading my first post. From what I have been reading, there are some really seasoned members on this site that know what they are talking about. I am glad I am now a member and can learn from those who have been there. THANKS AGAIN!

mmandley
10-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Welcome to the forum and congratz on the new boat. Lots of stuff here to learn about for your upgrades. Tons of smart people here also always willing to help ya out.

What area of the country you in?

As for the speakers havnt herd them. 2400 for a ballast is crazy expensive. Its not that hard to do it your self and lots of people here can and are willing to give you ideas and help.

Once again Welcome.

you da man
10-06-2009, 06:03 PM
My dealer quoted me $1995 for Gravity 3 system and installation but got it negociated in with the boat

yearround
10-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey,
welcome to moomba. like the ride, and only 44 hrs! we have an 08 with almost 200! put some hrs on and break it in.

i think the ballast upgrade will go pretty good, there are people here who will certainly help you out. i am illiterate about that stuff so i can't.

VA LSV
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Link to a recent discussion on upgrade to Gavity III that includes the parts list to be like factory installed. Several other options are available as well. Do a search on the boards for ballast upgrades.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9201&highlight=upgrade+ballast

sandm
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
welcome. you will learn a ton on here.
def. do some trolling around and you'll find answers to install almost anything you want to and not pay the hefty dealer markup.
I feel it gives me a good chance to learn how the boat operates.

sounds like you have a lot of future upgrades planned. $2400 is crazy for the g3 system. heck, parts can't run more than 1k. hmmmm.... maybe I'm in the wrong line of work :)

good luck and welcome

jmvotto
10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Congrats on the moomba and joining the Clan. There is great info here

I have the same boat different colors Thats one heck of a steal too.

Winterization cost is about that where i go and i am not confident not to miss one little thing which could be very expensive. Northeast gets very cold rather put it on the dealer

Ballast , 2400 is out of bounds

I am still looking at this project GI to GIII, buy the 400lb or 750 bags online they are way over priced through sc Like 370 per bag. where they are 99 per bag online. The bags seem to be the biggest price diffrence plus the labor .Also the tightness( small space) of the project of the OBV has me hesitant. might just go with the fly high sacs and tsunami pump, works pretty well (cost effective to surf) wakeboarding the ballast I is fine for my skills right now. i have a surf wave in the profile as well

speakers upgrade to the polk db651 for 50 bucks a pair at crutchfield, well worth it, the kenwoods are worthless.

tower speakers i went with aerial through www.h20sportswarehouse.com with the polks db651s for about 240 /pr . If you need an amp check sonicelectronix for kicker or jl or search this site lots of great ideas.

Check my pics of the tower speakers in my profile , nothing fancy simple and effective. I may add another pair to have four cans over the winter.

Welcome again.

kaneboats
10-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Congrats! If you hear a loud knock on your front door, slip out the back. They'll be coming to arrest you soon for STEALING THAT BOAT!!

csm
10-07-2009, 02:33 PM
If you're looking for sub ideas, I just had one installed, and it is by far my favorite addition to my boat so far. I stole the idea for my setup pretty much directly from what Tazz3069 has in his boat.

I bought a Boston Acoustics G3 10" sub off of ebay for $165. This sub doesn't need much air (I believe .65 cubic ft.), so I had it installed in a fiberglass sub enclosure from www.audioformz.com . The enclosure is attached directly to my kickplate, so it sits above your feet, and faces down.

It's almost embarrassing how hard this thing hits. My friend has 3 subs in his boat, and I'm pretty sure my bass sounds better.

Just an alternative for a sub idea if you're not wild about building a box or cutting a hole in your kickplate.

Congrats on your boat!

2007 Outback V
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the info. I am going to take my upgrades one step at a time. First thing is going to be tower speakers and a sub. I'm still not sure on what tower speakers to get. I really like the polk MM and one of the Kicker models. I would like to have speaker cans that run the wires through the mounts. I think that would be nicer looking and keep things more water tight?

I have seen the tower light rail speaker combos. They look good, but (this may be a goofy question) what is the point of having lights face the rear of the boat. I could see reason for having lights face the bow, possible being used like docking lights, but why facing the rear?

csm, I really like the idea about the fiberglass sub enclosure, any pics of this?

jmvotto
10-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Jessec did the wireless towers with audio formz cans.

http://lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaTowerProject/index.htm

csm
10-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I don't have any pictures of my sub yet, but you can see where I got the idea in Tazz's thread below. If you scroll down towards the end of the first page, you can see his sub and enclosure. Mine is mounted a little differently because my '05 LSV doesn't quite have the same room as his does, so I couldn't fit it there. But my sub and enclosure are the same.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=6132

2007 Outback V
10-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Jessec did the wireless towers with audio formz cans.

http://lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaTowerProject/index.htm

Thanks, I really like Jessec's idea. I'll have to get in touch and get some more specifics.

All these great ideas!!!!

Anyone know if the HLCD speakers like the krypt ones are worth the extra money http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=465&click=2 I could get polk MM's for about $110 a pair or a HLCD speaker for almost $400. Better be a night a day difference for that much!!!!

you da man
10-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Thanks, I really like Jessec's idea. I'll have to get in touch and get some more specifics.

All these great ideas!!!!

Anyone know if the HLCD speakers like the krypt ones are worth the extra money http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=465&click=2 I could get polk MM's for about $110 a pair or a HLCD speaker for almost $400. Better be a night a day difference for that much!!!!

HLCD speakers are in a totally different league and you can't compare them to non-HLCD speakers...it's just not fair. They are worth it. You could have 4 or 6 of the Polk MM speaker and they couldn't touch just 2 HLCD in any way. I refuse to have a "cheap" stereo system so I want to buy highend equipment first and not buy "cheap" then be unhappy and have to buy again. I splurged on the Bullet Hollow Points for $1200 for 2 pair of 770's (basically 8" HLCD). Regular price on these is $1900. With the right clean power and lots of amp hour batteries I'll be set up for years to come. Bullet Hollow Point speakers are no way affilliated with Bulletlines. However, contact Bulletlines and talk to Ken and he can give you the hook up for even cheaper than on their website. Bulletlines are a heck of a deal but I'm more than happy with the Hollow Points that are being added to my boat in the very near future.

viking
10-09-2009, 01:34 AM
HLCD speakers are in a totally different league and you can't compare them to non-HLCD speakers...it's just not fair. They are worth it. You could have 4 or 6 of the Polk MM speaker and they couldn't touch just 2 HLCD in any way. I refuse to have a "cheap" stereo system so I want to buy highend equipment first and not buy "cheap" then be unhappy and have to buy again. I splurged on the Bullet Hollow Points for $1200 for 2 pair of 770's (basically 8" HLCD). Regular price on these is $1900. With the right clean power and lots of amp hour batteries I'll be set up for years to come. Bullet Hollow Point speakers are no way affilliated with Bulletlines. However, contact Bulletlines and talk to Ken and he can give you the hook up for even cheaper than on their website. Bulletlines are a heck of a deal but I'm more than happy with the Hollow Points that are being added to my boat in the very near future.

On the HLCD subject.........have you or any members heard or have any experience with the new samson sports S7HD Speakers? $900 a pair for chrome.
http://www.samsonsports.com/wakeboard_tower_speakers.html
I like that they have the wireless setup and quick disconnect. I was originally going to get a roswell kicker setup but after reading and reading about all the upgrades; I think that I'm going to pony up NOW instead of later and get just a pair of really good tower speakers. Wetsounds, Bullet's, or These?

you da man
10-09-2009, 02:08 AM
On the HLCD subject.........have you or any members heard or have any experience with the new samson sports S7HD Speakers? $900 a pair for chrome.
http://www.samsonsports.com/wakeboard_tower_speakers.html
I like that they have the wireless setup and quick disconnect. I was originally going to get a roswell kicker setup but after reading and reading about all the upgrades; I think that I'm going to pony up NOW instead of later and get just a pair of really good tower speakers. Wetsounds, Bullet's, or These?

Those are basically just like (may as well say "exactly" like) the Exiles that everyone is raving about. Exile and Samson have something to do with each other on those speakers. Those are awsome speakers. I would look into the Exiles as well if you really like the Samsons, however, Exile has no plans on going chrome at this point in time.

you da man
10-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Here's a couple links to HLCD speakers. The first is Bullet Hollow Point 770. I was at this exact store this past Monday and got the same set up in the SAN in the video (4 HP 770's powered by 2 JL Audio G1300 amps).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWv-39ftIZo

This is a Wet Sounds 3-some package...crazy loud and clear. This stereo shop is only 1.5 hrs from my house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs

sandm
10-09-2009, 08:30 AM
I believe that samson is the chrome version of exile.. same speakers, just different colors and marketing.
I know that wireless speakers have come a long way, but something about having them connected with a good strand of cable :)

you da man
10-09-2009, 10:28 AM
I believe that samson is the chrome version of exile.. same speakers, just different colors and marketing.
I know that wireless speakers have come a long way, but something about having them connected with a good strand of cable :)

Are they truely wireless or is it that they just have a wireless connection at the speaker...more like a plug in?

sandm
10-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I would think that you either have wireless, or you have a quick-disconnect plug, or you have wired. wireless, imo, means no wires, period.
technology has been around in home audio for years, but I still don't see it as that reliable.

2007 Outback V
10-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Ok, I really like the bullet hollow point HLCD speakers.......Can't decide which ones, 650s for $480 or 770s for $540. The 770s wouldn't be in the way of a bimini top, would they?

Da Man, you ordered the 770s from earmark? Where does the speaker wire run on the hollow point pods? Can it be run through the clamp to give the wireless look? Or could they be modified like jessec did to the audioformz pods. http://lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaTowerProject/index.htm Not sure why I'm suck on the wireless look thing?

RickT
10-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Glad to have a new family member!

jmvotto
10-10-2009, 09:46 AM
the 770's would be a tough fit with the bimini.

you da man
10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Ok, I really like the bullet hollow point HLCD speakers.......Can't decide which ones, 650s for $480 or 770s for $540. The 770s wouldn't be in the way of a bimini top, would they?

Da Man, you ordered the 770s from earmark? Where does the speaker wire run on the hollow point pods? Can it be run through the clamp to give the wireless look? Or could they be modified like jessec did to the audioformz pods. http://lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaTowerProject/index.htm Not sure why I'm suck on the wireless look thing?

The connection to the pod is just to the right of where the clamp mounts. I saw them on a couple boats they had in Earmark Marine's shop. They look great mounted up. They had the small length of wire covered up nicely when it comes out of the tower. It's not an eye sore. As far as doing the mod in the link you posted, I know I would do it for my speakers...the wire in the clamp is too small in my opinion. I plan on using a much heavier gauge than that so it wouldn't work.