PDA

View Full Version : Surf Tabs?

jmvotto
10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Anyone know how well these work and can you add them aftermarket. Sanger had them in 09 and MC has an x2 for 2010. looks like a decent idea to "cant" the boat to the surf side.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/720929.html?1249300760

moombadaze
10-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Since those "surf tabs" are nothing more than trim tabs I see no reason they would not work for varios reasons, I would love to see someone mount a set on a lsv and report on it. How cool would it to be able to run 1/2 the ballast and still get a great wave all from a plate, or run full ballast and get a tsunami big wave:D

sandm
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
^^are you volunteering to lead the charge toward the tsunami wave?

moombadaze
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I wish, but not now.

you da man
10-05-2009, 08:04 PM
The cost of the trim tab is probably nothing compared to the price of installing them. I think the trim tab system is around $800-ish

RobertJ
10-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Yo Da, I installed some Bennet Trim tabs, on a previous boat (I am sure that is what the "surf tabs" are). They were a pretty easy install and took about 2 hours. The first hour was spent measuring everything about twenty times before I drilled into the boat.

snowboardcorey
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Figured you guys might like some photos of an install we just did. We installed the outside "surf" tabs and raised the swim platform about 2" (using spacers between brackets and platform) to get better clearance of the wake and for a better bracket location for the actuator.

moombadaze
02-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Awesome, any soft water to give it a try out or are all the lakes still frozen over?

Are the tabs in the way of the tie down straps?

Did you have to raise the platform for the actuators to have room?

Is that on a 02-05 LSV or a 06-08 Outback V ?

kaneboats
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Dying to see the results. Hope you took a "before" pic of the surf wake.

snowboardcorey
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Even the river is pretty full of ice yet! It was 50 degrees this week but only 18 today so ice out is still a ways out. The Tech installing the tabs owns a Supra Launch DD and installed a similar setup on it last year. I haven't ridden with him since the install but he thought they worked well for cleaning up and shaping the wake.

I had to compress the images to get them to fit but the tie downs should not be affected but the lifting eye is an inch or two inside of the tab itself.

Yes, that was the main reason we raised the platform, we felt the system would work a lot better with the actuators placed as they are. FWIW we still had to remove a bit of the platform on the side nearest the boat to get the right fit.

KG's Supra24
02-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I'd be interested to see some pics of how it changes the shape of the wave.

I've read so much stuff since then but I was thinking the x2 still wasn't a great surf, even with the tabs.

Canuckle Head
02-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Any chance you could post single pictures of the tab placement and the swim grid modifications?

Can't wait to see pics of the wake!

snowboardcorey
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
This was an 02' LSV, sorry though likely no pics of the wake as this is a customer boat. I'll see if they'll snap some this spring.

I only have the photos the Techs took during the install, so hopefully these work. It's hard to tell but the mounting plate had to be trimmed to fit the contour of the hull (towards outside edge of hull). The green highlighted area is the portion of the platform we removed.

snowboardcorey
02-18-2011, 03:22 PM
This should help with the placement, green highlighted area is where the mounting bracket was trimmed to fit under the body line.

Canuckle Head
02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
:D Thanks man! :D

sandm
02-18-2011, 03:51 PM
would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of same boats-same weight and see how they do. I have not heard real positive reviews of the x2 tabs, and would certainly think that most of the manufacturers have tried this on a test boat in the last 3-4 years.

snowboardcorey
02-18-2011, 03:55 PM
I think most people are using the tabs a bit incorrectly. The people I know that use them (with extra weight) use the tabs to "push" the water around the swim platform (deploying tab on same side as boat is weighted) instead of trying to create lift on the opposing side. This helps to keep the platform from dragging and shaving off the wake. Thats what the TN and FL people tell me, as I said still ice around here so I'll have to verify that in the spring.

viking
02-18-2011, 08:21 PM
Why isn't the owner of that boat on the forum to speak for him/herself?
Now that's what I wanna know :)

moombadaze
02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Why isn't the owner of that boat on the forum to speak for him/herself?

dang good question

jmvotto
02-18-2011, 10:52 PM
great install

I alwys thought you needed to pushed the surf tab down on the weighted side to keep that part of the boat buried. using the tab on the unweighted side seems like it would not lift the boat but do the opposite drag it down.:confused:

snowboardcorey
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Deploying a tab would create "lift" on that side. Same effect as a center mounted trim tab, when down it helps lift the transom higher in the water/pushes the bow lower. This is why some ski boats have "hook" in the transom of the hull.

At 10-11mph you can't create much lift, but you can push the water to help shape the wake.

moombadaze
02-19-2011, 12:34 PM
At 10-11mph you can't create much lift, but you can push the water to help shape the wake.

I can see that almost the same as adding xtra lbs to push the water down further-as long as the balast can overpower the lifting effect of the tab at 10mph ---kinda creating a lower/deeper hull line with the same amount of ballast

sandm
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
ragboy on ww did some testing with the platform off of his old tige and iirc, taking it off had adverse affects on the wake. seems that the platform helps.
will be real interested to see some a/b comparisons if that is possible, but seems that this will be a lot of cash for not a big improvement..

on a related note, the install looks top notch. nice job :)

jmeacham
02-27-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm very interested in the raising of the swim platform. Does it help get it out of the way of the wake and create a better (higher, longer, deeper) wave? I have been surfing behind our Moomba OBV for a couple of years now and had heard this change made a difference on other Makes of boats out there.

Figured you guys might like some photos of an install we just did. We installed the outside "surf" tabs and raised the swim platform about 2" (using spacers between brackets and platform) to get better clearance of the wake and for a better bracket location for the actuator.

sandm
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
some info for you to look at..

http://wake9.com/community/showthread.php?140-Swim-platform-mod&highlight=swim+platform

jmeacham
02-28-2011, 01:58 AM
That's good stuff Sandm, and I respect everything that Ragboy and the Wake9 folks have done for Wakesurfing.

Aside from a replacement / mod to the swim deck, have you seen the results of simply raising it up a bit with spacers?

some info for you to look at..

http://wake9.com/community/showthread.php?140-Swim-platform-mod&highlight=swim+platform

sandm
02-28-2011, 08:27 AM
nope. I just remember him saying that removing the deck had adverse effects on the overall wake. that the best solution was reshaping it and cleaning up the bottom of it.

dusty2221
02-28-2011, 12:28 PM
This may have been posted, but like Sandm said, I think the key is a completly smooth bottom, with zero lip on the platform.

jmeacham
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
Good point Dusty. I do recall someone mentioning that the lip of the deck was the largest contributor to hindering the wake. I was chatting with the local Moomba dealer shop guys and they said they could "fill" the deck with foam and spray fiberglass over it to harden it.

This may have been posted, but like Sandm said, I think the key is a completly smooth bottom, with zero lip on the platform.

lsvboombox
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
any posive results from this trim tab install? always looking to increase or shape the wake better..... would love to hear how the owner is liking th ewave...