PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer placement in an 08 XLV

10-03-2009, 10:16 PM
After over a year of putting it off, I finally purchased a 10" sub and amp with the plans on building my own box for my XLV. I have built dozens of sub boxes over the years so the construction is no problem. The problem is where do I install it? I was thinking of right in front of the driver under the drivers side seat in the bow, but I can't find the space. I thought on the driver side rear under the passenger seats but again it's so tight. The sub needs 0.9-1.1 Ft^3.

Where does everyone else put their subwoofers on their XLV's? Pics please.

you da man
10-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Right there with you on this one. I'm wanting either a single 12" or two 10" subs.

sandm
10-04-2009, 09:10 AM
mine is installed in the kickpanel under the dash on the drivers side. don't know if moomba's are built the same as supras, but under the dash, there's a 90deg panel and then a 45deg panel that you can rest your feet on. the 45 is fiberglass. cut the hole in that and run it freeair. it's big enough for a 12" with around a 5-6" mounting depth.
have seen others that place the sub in a box where the batteries are under the glovebox. downside is you lose some storage.

btw, da man, have 4 hollow points coming monday.. thanks for posting the link..

you da man
10-04-2009, 12:06 PM
mine is installed in the kickpanel under the dash on the drivers side. don't know if moomba's are built the same as supras, but under the dash, there's a 90deg panel and then a 45deg panel that you can rest your feet on. the 45 is fiberglass. cut the hole in that and run it freeair. it's big enough for a 12" with around a 5-6" mounting depth.
have seen others that place the sub in a box where the batteries are under the glovebox. downside is you lose some storage.

btw, da man, have 4 hollow points coming monday.. thanks for posting the link..

No prob, leaving early tomorrow morning to make the 3hr drive to Earmark Marine in Lewisville, TX. Can't wait to see what their showroom has. Did you see that they also put the JL G1300 Monoblock amps on sale...two amps for $400. I'm going to power the 4 Hollow Points with the two JL G1300 and get the JL G6600 6 channel amp for the cabin and sub. I already have a 2 battery setup and may add a 3rd.

sandm
10-04-2009, 12:25 PM
can't afford amps right now. going to reconfigure the 2 kenwood 4ch I have to run everything right now. will add another amp next year to run the towers.

not to take business away from earmark, but if you check ebay, those same amps are cheaper.
granted the warranty issues are harder to deal with, but it's been my experience with the 10-12 systems I have built in cars over the years that car audio either works out of the box or it doesn't. haven't ever needed a warranty after day one.

you da man
10-04-2009, 01:10 PM
can't afford amps right now. going to reconfigure the 2 kenwood 4ch I have to run everything right now. will add another amp next year to run the towers.

not to take business away from earmark, but if you check ebay, those same amps are cheaper.
granted the warranty issues are harder to deal with, but it's been my experience with the 10-12 systems I have built in cars over the years that car audio either works out of the box or it doesn't. haven't ever needed a warranty after day one.

I'll go ahead and get the JL G1300 amps for Earmark (only a few bucks more). I'm definately getting the JL G6600 on ebay since its about $200 less.

newty
10-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Check out my profile under the stereo pics. I ended up turning the sub forward and it sounded a lot better. It does solve the space issues. But are you willing to do the work? Cutting into the footrest was the hardest part (mentally).

mmandley
10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
Did you change your subs Newty? Or are you talking about the one you have in front of the drivers feet and the other one is on your Port Bow side isnt it?

newty
10-06-2009, 11:46 AM
No, the only thing I did was turn the sub so it faces forward under the drivers feet instead of straight back.
Those kickers need to have something to bounce off of.

sandm
10-06-2009, 12:24 PM
dang database error newty..

ohwell, got all winter..

newty
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Yea the database thing is odd, I can't seem to upload pics either. Dunno whats up with the site right now.

newty
10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Ok its working, you can see my profile now. Let me know if you have any q's.

sandm
10-06-2009, 09:23 PM
nice pics. thanks for detailing that install on the sub. planning on doing the same thing, but not sure how much room I have behind the sub that is currently there. thinking I will lose some legroom...

oh, the sacrifices we make in the quest for good sound :)

newty
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Indeed!
I def took that into consideration. I'm 6' and that was one of the first requirements. I originally made that a Slot port box and then reduced the overall size and made it an sealed enclosure. The box is now roughly 2/3 the size that it was in the pics. I could have increased the foot room and shrunk that up quite a bit but I had already made the face plate with the grill and heater outlet. so I left it. As I mentioned before, the sub sounded far better facing forward so I just flipped it over, painted the back of the box black and put the panel back up. You cant see through the grill cloth anyway.
I don't know how close our floor sizes are with regard to the space between the seat base and the foot rest but as you can see in the pics the panel in place is foward of the front cup holder about 1". That actually leave quite a bit of foot room. Lay a straight edge across your floor and see what's comfortable. Then build from there.
You will be far happier than just plopping a sub in the footrest, there is a night and day difference in the quality and volume of sound.

sandm
10-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I already have a kenwood 12" mounted in that angled footrest. I pulled it out and there's about 6" behind it for airspace. I know that I have enough room for a kicker 12" sub, thinking the L7, but not sure yet, however it's going to require some work like yours as well.
thinking about placing another one in the area where the batteries and amps are, but haven't gotten real serious about measurements yet. gotta winterize first.

just finished replacing the lights in the garage with 5 twin-tube flourescent fixtures for the winter projects so I can see what I am doing :) amazing the amount of difference they make from a 100 watt bulb. heater is next to warm the space up, but haven't found a good space heater yet. have almost 1000sqft to heat and most seem to work in the 4-500ft range at home depot.