PDA

View Full Version : How much water should be still in ballast bag after emptying?

viking
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
This might be a dumb question...........call me newbie!
How much water should be left in the fat sac after emptying with pump? Maybe it's normal but there's enough that it sloshes around a bit. Didn't know how much the pumps were supposed to be sucking out?

Also - seems like it empties alot of it if we all sit on one rear side or the other and let the water accumulate there (that's a no brainer)!! Just a pain to tell the passengers it's time to get up and gather.

moombadaze
10-01-2009, 03:37 PM
there's enough that it sloshes around a bit. .

sounds about right.

cab13367
10-01-2009, 08:59 PM
This might be a dumb question...........call me newbie!
How much water should be left in the fat sac after emptying with pump? Maybe it's normal but there's enough that it sloshes around a bit. Didn't know how much the pumps were supposed to be sucking out?

Also - seems like it empties alot of it if we all sit on one rear side or the other and let the water accumulate there (that's a no brainer)!! Just a pain to tell the passengers it's time to get up and gather.

Viking,

There will be several gallons left if you just hit the switch. I always completely empty the sacs so I have to raise up the end opposite where the hoses attach to get most of it out. Then I disconnect them and drain the rest out with gravity. Another trick is to empty while underway or starting out (bow up) as that forces the water towards the hose end. You get most of it out that way.

Fman
10-01-2009, 10:38 PM
With the '08 and older boats, you can improve the draining of the bags by moving the pump directly off the bag. I just installed the Tsunami 800's with a quick disconnect right off the bag. There is about a 4" line with a 90 degree quick disconnect elbow. This drastically improves the draining, and it also removes the pumps from the engine compartment and the heat. Another nice feature is its a 5 minute job to replace the pump. You can still quick disconnect the bags and remove them easily with this setup.

Another way to improve draining is make a ramp, and elevate the front of the bags upward to drain the water towards the pump. Adding vent lines will also help drain the bags, because it pushes the air out when you are filling them. When you go to drain the bags there is much less air pockets to stop the priming of the aerator pumps.

The '08 and older boats use aerator style pumps, they will not pull a prime, so the water must be available for the pump to work properly. The '09 and new boats went to the impeller driven JABSCO ballast puppy's, they will pull a draft/prime and drain the bags much better.

If you are set up properly, the pumps will remove about 95% of the water. You should not be able to hear any sloshing of water in them.

viking
10-06-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys..............

viking
10-23-2009, 03:14 PM
I only have the rear bag as my outback is DD. The drain pump is back up under the the rear of the boat close to the drain outlet by the rear storage compartment (probably 3 ft of hose before pump). I'm sure there is a better setup but the fill pump in in the engine compartment with the "sprinkler type" Orbit valve.

With the '08 and older boats, you can improve the draining of the bags by moving the pump directly off the bag. I just installed the Tsunami 800's with a quick disconnect right off the bag. There is about a 4" line with a 90 degree quick disconnect elbow. This drastically improves the draining, and it also removes the pumps from the engine compartment and the heat. Another nice feature is its a 5 minute job to replace the pump. You can still quick disconnect the bags and remove them easily with this setup.

Another way to improve draining is make a ramp, and elevate the front of the bags upward to drain the water towards the pump. Adding vent lines will also help drain the bags, because it pushes the air out when you are filling them. When you go to drain the bags there is much less air pockets to stop the priming of the aerator pumps.

The '08 and older boats use aerator style pumps, they will not pull a prime, so the water must be available for the pump to work properly. The '09 and new boats went to the impeller driven JABSCO ballast puppy's, they will pull a draft/prime and drain the bags much better.

If you are set up properly, the pumps will remove about 95% of the water. You should not be able to hear any sloshing of water in them.

jclevoy
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Manipulate your bags and leave NOTHING in them. Easy to do, and keeps your bags from getting skunky.