PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the market for tower speakers

you da man
09-30-2009, 10:44 PM
It appears that Bullet Speakers are having a very nice sale on their 650 and 770 HLCD tower speakers at 35% and 40% off. That's a crazy deal out there. I'm taking a day off and going up to Dallas on Monday to pick up 2 pair of the 770's and 6 of the 650's coaxials (also on sale but not advertised) for inside the boat. Replacing the stock Kicker amps with 3 JL Audio amps. I guess this is my winter project. I'll save over $1,000 on this sale.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EarmarkMarine#play/all/uploads-all/0/OWv-39ftIZo

09-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I was just looking at that sale. Have you heard these speakers before?

you da man
09-30-2009, 11:30 PM
I was just looking at that sale. Have you heard these speakers before?

I haven't heard them in person but if marine audio junkies are saying Wetsounds, Bullet Hollow Point, NVS, and the new Exiles are the top speakers in the game...then none of them are going to be a bad choice especially since they are HLCD speakers. I love the Exile 360 degree clamp but I just cant see paying the additional $300 per pair for that feature. I can barely see paying $599 per pair for the 770's :smile: but that is an awsome deal.

10-01-2009, 02:06 AM
Hey, I was actually loking at these HCLD from a similar site: http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=465

They are on sale for a great price.

you da man
10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Hey, I was actually loking at these HCLD from a similar site: http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=465

They are on sale for a great price.

That's without the pods/cans

sandm
10-01-2009, 08:37 AM
hey da man, I'm not seeing any sale prices on the bullet website. just a price of $329 for the 6.5 hlcd drivers with no cans. doesn't show a sale price or a % off. is that the regular price or is there a different price on them?

I'd pick up 2 sets in a heartbeat if they are on sale beyond the $329 :)

edit.. btw, I already have the speaker can pod hanging off the tower with room for 4 speakers, just tired of the crappy factory stuff :)

you da man
10-01-2009, 08:50 PM
hey da man, I'm not seeing any sale prices on the bullet website. just a price of $329 for the 6.5 hlcd drivers with no cans. doesn't show a sale price or a % off. is that the regular price or is there a different price on them?

I'd pick up 2 sets in a heartbeat if they are on sale beyond the $329 :)

edit.. btw, I already have the speaker can pod hanging off the tower with room for 4 speakers, just tired of the crappy factory stuff :)

Go to the Earmark Audio website and check their online store. It has the Bullet Hollow Points 650 and 770 HLCD on sale. The price of $329 for the 650 HLCD is the 40% off price for the speaker only, with the pods its $479. For the 770 with pods its $539 for black pods and $599 for chrome pods.

jmvotto
10-02-2009, 06:49 AM
check this one out, it in AU though

http://sydney.craigslist.com.au/boa/1372501855.html

sandm
10-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Go to the Earmark Audio website and check their online store. It has the Bullet Hollow Points 650 and 770 HLCD on sale. The price of $329 for the 650 HLCD is the 40% off price for the speaker only, with the pods its $479. For the 770 with pods its $539 for black pods and $599 for chrome pods.

I checked on the website for bullet speakers and it lists the same prices you are quoting from earmark. not really a sale unless everyone is selling them for that price now, including bullet..

you da man
10-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I checked on the website for bullet speakers and it lists the same prices you are quoting from earmark. not really a sale unless everyone is selling them for that price now, including bullet..

Old Bullet price for 770's was $959 per pair...now at $599. That's a $350 savings per pair. Call it a sale or just re-pricing but it still a great price for one of the top speakers in the class AND no other HLCD company is dropping their prices yet. If Wetsounds does then OMG...it's on.

10-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey guys, those HLCD I posted above are selling for $200/pair for the 6.5's and like $250 for the 8's. I'm really close to buying them, just haven't decided for sure yet.

you da man
10-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey guys, those HLCD I posted above are selling for $200/pair for the 6.5's and like $250 for the 8's. I'm really close to buying them, just haven't decided for sure yet.

The guy that owns that company is and has been in legal trouble about his alleged business practices by allegedly cloning products developed by other individuals and companies and/or going to the source of manufacturing trying and getting copies made for him (Wetsounds basically stopped him from trying to copy their badass WS-420 parametric equalizer). I've heard from a very reliable source that soon he will not be able to sell those speakers and warranty is none existent. Word is that Bulletlines doesnt include instructions, warranty paperwork, and hardware (I believe they have now included the screws ;)). In addition, the crossovers are not even protected and have open/exposed circuitry. The guy will not become a site sponsor on wakeboarding forums but will see interested people and send them PM's about his products (I have been contacted in this way). Kind of strange that Bullet Speakers had the Bullet Hollow Points for a few years then this guy shows up with a company called Bulletlines and shows up with a clone. With all that said, I have heard the speakers he has for sale that are the Bullet Hollow Point look alikes sound good and pretty much all who have bought them are satisfied, some were not satisfied with the lack of paperwork, hardware, and exposed circuitry.

sandm
10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I don't see them for any cheaper than the bullet hollow points.
maybe he is pm'ing for lower prices, but they show the same price.http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=465

I, too, have heard things about krypt as a speaker line and some of the unscrupulous practices that they have been using, but if they really are $200/pair, then I can do without screws/instructions and exposed circuits really aren't a big deal if they are sealed properly in a can.

I am looking into ordering the hollow points though. waiting for an email to confirm that they will fit in my stock roswell speaker cans. dont' really want to replace them as I think they look much better than the aftermarket cans being sold.

you da man
10-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't see them for any cheaper than the bullet hollow points.
maybe he is pm'ing for lower prices, but they show the same price.http://www.bulletlines.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=465

I, too, have heard things about krypt as a speaker line and some of the unscrupulous practices that they have been using, but if they really are $200/pair, then I can do without screws/instructions and exposed circuits really aren't a big deal if they are sealed properly in a can.

I am looking into ordering the hollow points though. waiting for an email to confirm that they will fit in my stock roswell speaker cans. dont' really want to replace them as I think they look much better than the aftermarket cans being sold.

He sent me a PM to PM him back to get a coupon code to get the price. I won't be buying from Bulletlines. I have the Roswell pods that came with my boat and can't stand the look of them. I have a friend of mine buying them and my stock amps when I get the Hollow Points and the JL amps

sandm
10-03-2009, 03:00 PM
nice to get them sold like that.

I would ditch the roswell rack if I was going to add more than 4 speakers, but to spend another 5-6bills just for cans is a new prop or the stargazer upgrade I have planned for the winter as well :)

good luck and it sounds like we'll be sporting the same awesome sound this next summer..

bzubke1
10-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I bought a pair of 770's for my 08 LSV yesterday. Cant wait to get them installed. Search bullet tower speakers on youtube there are some pretty good videos for anyone that is wondering how they sound.

you da man
10-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Monday I'll be at Earmark Marine Audio in Lewisville, TX getting 2 pair of 770's and probably 3 pair of 650's coax for the cabin. Looks like I'll be making some home owners mad next summer on the lake.

bulletlines
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
You Da Man:

Don't believe everything you hear.

First of all Bullet Lines does not sell a speaker: Krypt Marine Audio sells 6.5" and 8" HLCDs. 2nd Bullet Lines has been in business for longer than Bullet Speakers. 3rd our speakers are not a copy of Bullet Hollow Points, as we paid for the tooling. 4th we are not and never have been in legal trouble. 5th we will not be forced to stop selling the speaker. 6th we will warranty the product for 1 year from defect. 7th we are already manufacturing our 2nd generation of this product.

Razzman
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Let me kick in on this before it spirals out of control, we don't need this crap on the Moomba forum.

I can say for fact that these rumors, yes rumors, generated from WakeWorld. I happen to remember the original thread posted by some jerk whom i can't remember that somehow escalated into widespread Bulletlines hating on WW which for some reason keeps happening because the uninformed keep buying into it.

I'm on WW multiple times a day, everyday, for over four years now and have never seen anything to substantiate these rumors.

sandm
10-05-2009, 03:52 PM
^^ good post.
bet there's fanboys and haters of every vendor out there. problem is that the haters of bulletlines are just a little more vocal.
glad to see he's at least making an effort on here to protect his rep. a sign of a business owner that cares about his well-being..

now back on topic..
da man, how was the trip to earmark? won't have mine until next week :(
really anxious to hear the difference in hlcd's and regular automotive speakers. won't get them installed until later this year though.
thinking I'm going to tackle the fman/tazz ballast project first, since I'm going to rip out all the ballast gear as I'm winterizing.

hotrod62
10-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I am a happy customer from Bullet Lines. Excellent communications, quality products and even better value.

you da man
10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
now back on topic..
da man, how was the trip to earmark? won't have mine until next week :(
really anxious to hear the difference in hlcd's and regular automotive speakers. won't get them installed until later this year though.
thinking I'm going to tackle the fman/tazz ballast project first, since I'm going to rip out all the ballast gear as I'm winterizing.

I just walked in the door from going up to Earmark Audio. Nice set up they have. They had 3 boats inside getting audio/lighting done to them. David gave me a little tour of the shop in the work area. Nice, clean shop with separate areas for paint, carpet/vinyl covering, and a separate closed off area for woodworking (that probably helps a ton in keeping the shop clean and not putting dust on the boats). They demoed the 770's for me in the shop with just the 770's, the 770's with a "cheap" 10" sub, and the 770's with a good 12" sub. When I was listening to the speakers we listened to Rush, Akon, and a little MJ so I got to here the speaker response to a little variety. I got 2 pair of 770's and 2 JL G1300 amps. Your speakers went out today David said (I mentioned you ordered the raw speaker for your Roswell cans). I was there for about 2 hrs in the shop. David went over everything with me as far as upgrading batteries, what type of battery I needed/wanted, chargers, Perko vs. combiner/separator, and how they would wire my system up for future growth. David even priced my install down to the last connector and foot of wire so I know ahead of time what it'll cost me and gave me options of EQ and subs. Even though I'm not having my boat worked on until early Spring, David said he would keep all the pricing and info for me in a file until then.

sandm
10-05-2009, 10:23 PM
wish I had cans big enough for the 770's, but the 6.5's will be fine. wish I had seen the shop. would like to have heard them first, but oh well.
I was impressed with the salesman I spoke with on saturday. they called this am to confirm ship address. seemed to be a real organized shop.

probably going to add 2 good 12's as well over the winter. one under the dash and one in the compartment where the batteries/amps go.
only have 2 batteries but that should be plenty..

only question I have unanswered are power caps. think the deep cycle marine batteries make it a non-issue, but I had them in all my cars prior..

you da man
10-05-2009, 10:44 PM
wish I had cans big enough for the 770's, but the 6.5's will be fine. wish I had seen the shop. would like to have heard them first, but oh well.
I was impressed with the salesman I spoke with on saturday. they called this am to confirm ship address. seemed to be a real organized shop.

probably going to add 2 good 12's as well over the winter. one under the dash and one in the compartment where the batteries/amps go.
only have 2 batteries but that should be plenty..

only question I have unanswered are power caps. think the deep cycle marine batteries make it a non-issue, but I had them in all my cars prior..

You were talking to David on Saturday. If you have any questions I'm sure David can help you out. I would like to get the Bullet 6.5 coax speakers but almost $200 with tax per pair. I'm sure it's night and day difference between the stock Kicker 620 coax speakers but David said even if I just stepped up to the Polk db651 it would be a noticeable improvement.

sandm
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
he seemed very knowledgable..
I was going to go with the polks, but bought the skylon r125ib's for the interior. we'll see how they sound..
db651's are on sale at crutchfield right now for a steal.. might want to pick them up while they still have them..
shopping for amps next. too many to choose from, and I have always kind of had a thing for old school 80's-90's amps. MUCH better than some of the crap for sale now...
I'd love to run a set of orion hcca 425's. system would rock :) wallet says no though..

you da man
10-05-2009, 11:04 PM
he seemed very knowledgable..
I was going to go with the polks, but bought the skylon r125ib's for the interior. we'll see how they sound..
db651's are on sale at crutchfield right now for a steal.. might want to pick them up while they still have them..
shopping for amps next. too many to choose from, and I have always kind of had a thing for old school 80's-90's amps. MUCH better than some of the crap for sale now...
I'd love to run a set of orion hcca 425's. system would rock :) wallet says no though..

I still have 3 Rockford Fosgate Punch 30 amps, a Rockford PA-1HD pre-amp and the Rockford XV-1 crossover. I'm leaning towards the Pold db651 from Crutchfield and the JL G6600 amp to run the interior and sub. I'm for supporting local businesses but the difference in retail and online for JL G6600 amp is just over $200...so online it is.

10-06-2009, 12:16 AM
I am surprised that the Polk DB651's would be an upgrade to the stock kickers. I have 4 of those Polks on my tower and am running them with more then enough power and they sound ok, but not amazing or anything.

I ordered 4 of the Krypt HLCD from Bulletlines so I will do a full review on them once I get them and have a chance3 to test them out.

you da man
10-06-2009, 08:24 AM
I am surprised that the Polk DB651's would be an upgrade to the stock kickers. I have 4 of those Polks on my tower and am running them with more then enough power and they sound ok, but not amazing or anything.

I ordered 4 of the Krypt HLCD from Bulletlines so I will do a full review on them once I get them and have a chance3 to test them out.

I'm sure the Krypt HLCD speakers will sound great as the reviews have been good. Plus, at the price Ken is selling them for it's a steal for anyone wanting to upgrade or jump into a tower system. I just decided not to go with this brand.

sandm
10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
would be nice to see some head to head reviews of the few vendors that sell hlcd speakers. some independent magazine testing, but I doubt it will ever happen. there seems to be too much of a price disparity between the bottom and top brands and I'm guessing those at the top would not want the results published ;)
501-post up your .02 when done..

da man, that old fosgate stuff was the bomb. used to dream of a basic system using 2 punch 45's. owned an old power100, but haven't ever seen one since. it was the baby to the power 300/1000. ran 25x4 and it pounded for what it was. I remember a company called waveguide that made a hlcd for under the dash for a few years. some guy had a car with those and the rest alpine system that cleaned up the show circuit for a few years. never caught on in the car world, thinking due to size and cost, but interesting that they(hlcd's) ended up being the premium tower speaker.

10-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I remember the wave guides. I never heard them but they got great reviews.

I ended up ordering 4 of the HLCD's from Ken at Bullet Lines for a smoking deal. I was just going to order the drivers but ended up ordering can's too so I could sell my Polks as complete tower speakers and hopefully almost break even. I am going on the word of Ken and some internet reviews, so I hope these speakers are as good as they look.

I have an old but very Powerful Pioneer Premier Amp that will feed the speakers with about 120-150 watts of RMS power so they should be well matched. I can't wait to hear them and hopefully the out perform the Polks. I also blew three of the Polks this year (perhaps from overpowering) but they were replaced on waranty so we went a lot of the summer without music and I don't want that to happen again.

you da man
10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
would be nice to see some head to head reviews of the few vendors that sell hlcd speakers. some independent magazine testing, but I doubt it will ever happen. there seems to be too much of a price disparity between the bottom and top brands and I'm guessing those at the top would not want the results published ;)
501-post up your .02 when done..

da man, that old fosgate stuff was the bomb. used to dream of a basic system using 2 punch 45's. owned an old power100, but haven't ever seen one since. it was the baby to the power 300/1000. ran 25x4 and it pounded for what it was. I remember a company called waveguide that made a hlcd for under the dash for a few years. some guy had a car with those and the rest alpine system that cleaned up the show circuit for a few years. never caught on in the car world, thinking due to size and cost, but interesting that they(hlcd's) ended up being the premium tower speaker.

I'm hoping the Polk db651 will do ok as cabin speakers. It's $150 for 3 pair and free shipping so if they sound bad it's not a huge loss. I really would like the Wetsounds 6.5" cabin speakers but that will be $700.

501 - I personally would not have tried to use the db651 as tower speakers but how do you think they would do as cabin speakers?

I remember the wave guides. I never heard them but they got great reviews.

I ended up ordering 4 of the HLCD's from Ken at Bullet Lines for a smoking deal. I was just going to order the drivers but ended up ordering can's too so I could sell my Polks as complete tower speakers and hopefully almost break even. I am going on the word of Ken and some internet reviews, so I hope these speakers are as good as they look.

I have an old but very Powerful Pioneer Premier Amp that will feed the speakers with about 120-150 watts of RMS power so they should be well matched. I can't wait to hear them and hopefully the out perform the Polks. I also blew three of the Polks this year (perhaps from overpowering) but they were replaced on waranty so we went a lot of the summer without music and I don't want that to happen again.

Razzman
10-06-2009, 12:08 PM
You will not be disappointed in the Polks in the cabin, they are one of the best you can get. They are clear and can handle the power.

sandm
10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
sounds like there is a lot of stereo projects going on this winter.
can't wait to compare notes as seems that everyone is going just a little different route. will be interesting to see what positives/negatives come out of each install...

10-06-2009, 01:01 PM
The Polk DB651's as tower speakers are ok. I can hear them at 70 feet , but they aren't amazingly loud or anything. But with that said, they would probably be pretty good in the cabin now that I think about it because they do go quite loud for a 6.5" speaker. I have a lot of power running to them on the tower which helps too.

I honestly never thought of replacing the kicker speakers in the boat till this thread. I always thought they sounded pretty decent and from behind they look like they are built well. I think adding the sub will make the biggest difference.

For my sub I have a plan to put an illuminated toggle switch by the driver that connects to the remote turn on, on the amp. This way I can turn the sub on or off with the flick of a switch and no playing with the deck or remotes or anything.

Why does it have to be winter now?

10-06-2009, 01:04 PM
we certainly are going in different directions!

Just in case anyone is interested in a Kenwood amp, here's the one I ordered.

Prices at this vendor are pretty good - with free shipping

http://www.eclectic-mart.com/servlet/the-489/KENWOOD-KAC-dsh-7204-2-dsh-CH-POWER/Detail

Hey Ed, that's a good deal for an amp.

viking
10-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm hoping the Polk db651 will do ok as cabin speakers. It's $150 for 3 pair and free shipping so if they sound bad it's not a huge loss. I really would like the Wetsounds 6.5" cabin speakers but that will be $700.

501 - I personally would not have tried to use the db651 as tower speakers but how do you think they would do as cabin speakers?

Am I missing something. Doesn't Polk have a "marine" version of the db651's. Or is everyone just using the car version cause it's cheaper?
And since I'm not up on the technical specs and electronics like I used to be when I was younger.........what is the laymen's explaination of the HLCD type speakers?
Thanks!

sandm
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
you guys with the factory kicker speakers I guess are lucky. I have what I think was the upgraded sound system for supra in '06 and it's all kenwood. 6.5's are ok for what I would consider a "factory" speaker, but they still suck. kind of like the bose system in my wifes murano. it's ok for an upgraded "factory" system, but still not very high quality.
interestingly enough, the 6.5's are bottom of the line kenwoods, but the sub that supra uses is actually a pretty nice kenwood sub. still getting jettisoned, but much further up the food chain than the 6.5's..

501-sub will make a HUGE difference in the overall sound of the system. you will be very happy with the end results.
I'd move the polks into the interior and jettison the kickers imo...

sandm
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM
hlcd are horn loaded compression drivers on the tweeter end. they project the sound a lot further back and typically play a wider frequency than normal tweeters.. what most concert systems use and some high end home speakers(klipsch). they take a ton of power though..

you da man
10-06-2009, 01:25 PM
Am I missing something. Doesn't Polk have a "marine" version of the db651's. Or is everyone just using the car version cause it's cheaper?
And since I'm not up on the technical specs and electronics like I used to be when I was younger.........what is the laymen's explaination of the HLCD type speakers?
Thanks!

The Polk db651 are marine grade speakers but are mostly used in car applications

sandm
10-09-2009, 12:36 PM
my bullet hollow point 6.5's showed up today.
can't wait to get home and oogle at them :)

guy I work with came into my cube earlier today and asked me what kind of gun I had that I needed that much ammo for. had to chuckle a little.

jmvotto
10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Sandm, thats funny. Let us know how they sound. they testes on youtube are impressive but the quality through a digital recorder may not do it justice.

I have some kicker horns in some old school dorm speakers , they really blarred but my bose 301s had better sound.

501, what cans did you get and i would be interested in how the Krypt sounds.

enjoy.

sandm
10-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I have no doubt that a killer set of high end separates will blow these out of the water when it comes to a house, car or the interior of the boat. the hlcd's are really meant to be heard a ways away, and I am not expecting them to have the musical nuance of my setups in either car.

my first truck had a set of kicker truck boxes. they were a horn tweeter, an 8" sub and a 10" passive radiator in each box. they sounded good and got real loud, but did they sound great? no. kind of the expectation I have for these. good sounding, especially at a long distance, but not outstanding.

show me a speaker that can project like an hlcd and have the musical clarity of a high end set of focals or diamond audio's and I'll show you an engineer that won't ever work again for money :)

jmvotto
10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
I'll split the royalties with you when we find it;)

you see this one, pretty cool on the water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3HVgyHEG0

sandm
10-09-2009, 10:12 PM
yea. nice vid.
I don't need that kind of sound, but surfing/boarding, they will be nice..

viking
10-10-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm hoping the Polk db651 will do ok as cabin speakers. It's $150 for 3 pair and free shipping so if they sound bad it's not a huge loss.

Man these are an awesome price. Thinking about buying 3 pair myself. Would it be an UPGRADE from the stock Kenwoods they put in 2007 or about the same?
thanx

you da man
10-10-2009, 03:52 AM
Man these are an awesome price. Thinking about buying 3 pair myself. Would it be an UPGRADE from the stock Kenwoods they put in 2007 or about the same?
thanx

Much better than the Kenwoods. Kicker is stock now.
Wetsounds just started selling a new 6.5" speaker, the SS-65 (I pretty sure that's what they call it). Supposed to be $149 retail vs $229 for the XS-650 and 60w RMS vs 100w RMS for the XS-650. I was going to get the Polk db651 but I just learned bout these today. Wetsounds does not even have them on their website but Tim of Wetsounds says these are very solid speakers and will outperform anything in under $200 range. The SS-65 is a direct drop in speaker so no cutting like alot of boat owners have to do for the XS-650.

sandm
10-10-2009, 05:54 AM
thanx

anything would be an upgrade from those spekaers. they are crap. can't wait to get them out of my boat.. still amazed though if you have the kenwood sub what kind of quality they put into that driver. it's real nice..

jmvotto
10-10-2009, 07:25 AM
viking, night and day. 50 bucks from crutchfield is a great buy. Without an amp it was a great trade up with the amp its even better, clean crisp sound.

viking
10-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Much better than the Kenwoods. Kicker is stock now.
Wetsounds just started selling a new 6.5" speaker, the SS-65 (I pretty sure that's what they call it). Supposed to be $149 retail vs $229 for the XS-650 and 60w RMS vs 100w RMS for the XS-650. I was going to get the Polk db651 but I just learned bout these today. Wetsounds does not even have them on their website but Tim of Wetsounds says these are very solid speakers and will outperform anything in under $200 range. The SS-65 is a direct drop in speaker so no cutting like alot of boat owners have to do for the XS-650.

Thanks,
Let me know when you get word on where we can check them out and purchase. Price doesn't sound all that bad either. The db651 Polks are direct drop in's too aren't they?

you da man
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks,
Let me know when you get word on where we can check them out and purchase. Price doesn't sound all that bad either. The db651 Polks are direct drop in's too aren't they?

The Polk 651 are direct drop in speakers and from what I hear the screw holes line up as well.

Razzman
10-10-2009, 03:16 PM
In the main cabin yes, but not always in the bow area. I had to trim the abs backing behind the the speaker wall as have others.

ssmith
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I replaced all of my stock speakers with the polks about 3 wks ago. They were direct drop for the most part. I did enlarge the existing screw holes on my cans to fit the polk screws but the pre-existing holes did line up perfectly just needed to be a tad bigger. I would get a lot of distortion at 25 vol range with the stock and its clear and crisp now, even at 30. I got mine from crutchfield for $50 and it was well worth it. I also purchased a 10" db sub and sub cover as well. It looks really nice, IMO.

Here's a pic of the sub that I had on my phone...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00225-20090925-1200.jpg

viking
10-11-2009, 12:30 PM
looks nice - You replaced all cabin speakers with Polk too?
If so, they were all drop in with no mods were'nt they?

ssmith
10-11-2009, 10:32 PM
looks nice - You replaced all cabin speakers with Polk too?
If so, they were all drop in with no mods were'nt they?

Yes, replaced a total of 10 speakers plus the sub and they were all drop in. It took up maybe 1 hour of my day :). Also, just FYI... you don't need the 651s (shallow version) anywhere. I thought maybe I would in the bow but not the case. Just order what you need of the 651 speakers and you'll be set.

jmvotto
10-12-2009, 08:01 AM
ditto, i did the same on my obv and no problems. had to remove vinyl padding to get to the two rear cabin speakers if you want to get all four screwd in. my ,02

2007 Outback V
10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
I replaced all of my stock speakers with the polks about 3 wks ago. They were direct drop for the most part. I did enlarge the existing screw holes on my cans to fit the polk screws but the pre-existing holes did line up perfectly just needed to be a tad bigger. I would get a lot of distortion at 25 vol range with the stock and its clear and crisp now, even at 30. I got mine from crutchfield for $50 and it was well worth it. I also purchased a 10" db sub and sub cover as well. It looks really nice, IMO.

Here's a pic of the sub that I had on my phone...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w126/scotties2006/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG00225-20090925-1200.jpg

I really like the way the sub looks there!!! Did your Supra come stock with a sub there? Is the sub in an enclosure or is it more of a free air sub? Do you think it is possible for me to build a sub mount like that for my '07 Outback V?

sandm
10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
looks drop-in with no box.
my '06 supra has a 12" in the same location, but the panel is angled at a 45 for part of it and then straight up and down. it's a free-air as well, but I'm replacing with a boxed sub. start messing around with your boat and you will figure out what you have back there.
personally, I'd build a box for a sealed sub. usually will get much better response out of a sub in a box than free-air.

follow this thread and it will give you some ideas and there are some pics in the profiles..
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9392

jmvotto
10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
2007 Outback v,

I had my sub done last season at the dealer ( did not want to cut the wires behinf the kick panel) imo it sounds great, i got a great deal on the 10 " polk momo. 10" is the max that will fit there.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=730

you da man
10-12-2009, 05:33 PM
2007 Outback v,

I had my sub done last season at the dealer ( did not want to cut the wires behinf the kick panel) imo it sounds great, i got a great deal on the 10 " polk momo. 10" is the max that will fit there.

What about 2 10" in that same area?

jmvotto
10-12-2009, 07:14 PM
don't need two 10" bass is plenty for passengers and riders, if you do put two in there , you would need to support the kick panel, there would not be much to hold them there. Also i think it it narrower toward the ski locker, like 9 3/4 vs 11'' by the outer hull wall.

2007 Outback V
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
2007 Outback v,

Is yours a sealed sub or is it just mounted to the kick panel and free air?

sandm
10-13-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm thinking of doing 2 kicker L7's. one in the kickpanel as shown above and ditching the stock kenwood 12, building a box for it, and placing the other one under the stroage compartment where the batteries are. tons of room under there for a box.

that install on the polk is very clean.. looks factory. you are correct on doing 2 though. I would not think that the panel would support 2, however you could always build it out with 2 pieces of 7\8 mdf and cut 2 holes for the 10's. need to glas them to waterproof them though.

jmvotto
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
07 obv, just free air. the size is about right but a natural port in both kick panel hole for wires one on the locker other on the top right. i have the bass adjuster knob from jl for complete control, kicker has one as well.

2007 Outback V
10-13-2009, 08:38 PM
07 obv, just free air. the size is about right but a natural port in both kick panel hole for wires one on the locker other on the top right. i have the bass adjuster knob from jl for complete control, kicker has one as well.

So in short I could just cut a hole in my kick panel and throw in a sub? I don't think the wiring would be too hard, and a rotozip should cut that hole in no time!

jmvotto
10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
yep. but be careful not to cut the wires that run through the kick panel.