PDA

View Full Version : New OJ Prop - 14.25x14.5

cab13367
09-30-2009, 03:07 PM
I am in the market for a wakeboard prop. I have the stock 13.7x17.5 prop. Had 1300+ lbs of ballast and 7 adults in the boat last weekend and it took forever to plane out pulling a wakeboarder. I understand that OJ has come out with a new wakeboard prop - a 14.25"x14.5 pitch - that supposedly tested better (quicker to plane when heavily weighted) than the old 14.25x14 and the Acme equivalent. Does anyone have this new prop?

I have no doubt that this will take care of my planing issues but what should I expect as far as a top speed loss and additional fuel use when lightly loaded? I run a lot with no ballast (pulling the kids on the tube and when the wife or son or friends wakeboard) so i'm concerned that the 14.25x14.5 is not the best all around prop for me. Top speed loss is not really a concern unless it's significant (more than 5 mph).

Another option, recommended by my dealer, is the 13.7x15.75 prop but I don't know if it's enough of a difference over the stock when weighted down.

Thoughts and comments?

you da man
09-30-2009, 03:39 PM
The Acme 1235 (14.5x14.25) prop is getting great reviews compared to the OJ. Nettles Props has the Acme in stock for $506 and that's the best price I've seen.

yearround
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
i don't konw about hte new prop, i have the old 14.25x14.0 oj prop. we have an 08 lsv. top speed empty is about 37-38 mph fantastic hole shot loaded with stock G3 ballast and 6-7 adults.

just general pulling we get about 5 gph cruising at lake powell going from BF to rainbow we get about 6-7 gph, i think because it is higher rpm for a couple hours, used 34 gallons last week each direction in one day

moombadaze
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
I also have the 14.25x14, its great when loaded heavily, it pulls onto plane with no effort. Only thing I wish was a little more upper end cruising speed and less growling/vibration sounds at lower speeds. I actually have never run it wide open to check for top end speed but think it would overrev.

Razzman
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Daze, I also have the 14.25x14 and have plenty of topend. Mine tops out at 46mph according to both speedos. My buddy's boat has PP stargazer and corrected mine runs 45mph. It's definitely not over revving in fact the ecm won't let it.

you da man
09-30-2009, 07:49 PM
I also have the 14.25x14, its great when loaded heavily, it pulls onto plane with no effort. Only thing I wish was a little more upper end cruising speed and less growling/vibration sounds at lower speeds. I actually have never run it wide open to check for top end speed but think it would overrev.

There are those Moomba owners who have had both the OJ and Acme said that the OJ has the vibration and the Acme did not

sandm
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I have heard the same thing about the acme vs oj.
I'm going to go to a new prop this winter as I have the 13x17 also.
I plan on buying the acme..

top end is not a concern for me either. currently, my pp shows me at 39 topped out, but I don't think it's correct.
also planning on the stargazer upgrade so we'll see what that says when installed..

_sT_
09-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Just another note on top end - I've had mine up to about 42MPH (No GPS confirmation). I'm not at WOT yet for my engine, but at the speed even in calm water I start to porpoise so bad I can't go any faster for fear of losing control. I have no wake plate, trim tabs, or any other kind of trim adjustment on my unit.

EDIT: If I could trim out properly I bet I could hit over 50MPH in calm water. On my old IO, there was a 10MPH swing between trimmed correctly and trimmed all the way in - it makes a huge difference.

yearround
09-30-2009, 10:30 PM
razz, why would i be so much slower than you? i think our boats are the same, you are 07 LSV w/ 325 right? i am 08 lsv with 325. would it be that i am at higher elevation? (5600) but even at powell, the lowest i have been is 3600. what other things might be causing me to have a lower top end?

cab13367
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
The Acme 1235 (14.5x14.25) prop is getting great reviews compared to the OJ. Nettles Props has the Acme in stock for $506 and that's the best price I've seen.

Could you please point me to these reviews. Thanks.

The growling/vibration concerns me. Was it doing that with the stock prop? Is the prop out of balance or the shaft possibly slightly bent?

Daze, I also have the 14.25x14 and have plenty of topend. Mine tops out at 46mph according to both speedos. My buddy's boat has PP stargazer and corrected mine runs 45mph. It's definitely not over revving in fact the ecm won't let it.

Wow, Razz, that seems fast. What rpm is that? Did you confirm that with a GPS? Not saying I don't believe you, that just seems awful fast, especially with the 14.25x14.

There are those Moomba owners who have had both the OJ and Acme said that the OJ has the vibration and the Acme did not

Which Moomba owners?

I've heard about the vibration issue of the OJ but have not read anything about it.

Does anyone know of any controlled test done on the Acme and the OJ back to back on the same boat? Or are all these subjective, seat of the pants comments?

If someone can point me to a test comparing the two props, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Al

Razzman
09-30-2009, 11:41 PM
I've never seen an Acme prop on a Moomba, at least not from the factory. It's possible the dealers may have changed them. OJ has had the contract for quite awhile now.

I have the OJ wakeboard prop and have the growl as well, doesn't bother me enough to re-prop and works just fine.

Altitude does play a great difference in performance, enough to to drop top end. I boat at no greater than 1,000' so i see no diff at all but many at higher altitudes re-prop to compensate.

you da man
09-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Could you please point me to these reviews. Thanks.

The growling/vibration concerns me. Was it doing that with the stock prop? Is the prop out of balance or the shaft possibly slightly bent?

Wow, Razz, that seems fast. What rpm is that? Did you confirm that with a GPS? Not saying I don't believe you, that just seems awful fast, especially with the 14.25x14.

Which Moomba owners?

I've heard about the vibration issue of the OJ but have not read anything about it.

Does anyone know of any controlled test done on the Acme and the OJ back to back on the same boat? Or are all these subjective, seat of the pants comments?

If someone can point me to a test comparing the two props, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Al

Well I don't know any Moomba owners personally and I didn't mean actual "reviews" just comments those who have used the OJ and Acme. Before I bought my new XLV I did lots of research on the props vs the 325hp engine. All I did was a bunch of Google searches and found that the Acme 1235 prop was favored much more than the OJ prop.

you da man
09-30-2009, 11:45 PM
My XLV came with the OJ wakeboard prop but I plan on getting the Acme 1235 prop this next summer.

Razzman
09-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Al,

I checked it against PP Stargazer which is GPS based. The noise from the OJ is harmonic vibration at very low rpm's for moments only and yes they all will do it.

98outback
10-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Here is a discussion going on over on wakeworld.com about the oj vs the acme props.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/733640.html?1254394046

moombadaze
10-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Al, this is the prop the boat came with, I just know my old 03 lsv with the same motor did not make the growling sound and it had the regular prop on it. Its really not that bad but noticable at certain speeds.

aintskeered
10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
my '07 came with an oj wake board prop upgrade. I bought an oj cruise prop for lower elevations and better fuel economy.

At about two hours on the cruise prop (first time using it)I swam under the boat and changed it back to wake board prop.I was at powell about 1.5 hours from the trailer. I gave it back to the dealer. I now have three props. Original Oj wake board upgrade. And two Acme. I have not ran the oj since my first acme wake board prop. The second acme I put on for powell/ crusing. It dose not guite have the hole shot at powell but lowers the rpms for crusing.

My original Oj has a little better hole shot when weighted alot but all around preformance I do prefer the Acme wake board prop.

The reason for two diffrent Acme props, we change almost 3,000 ft in elevation between lakes. More air for the engine= more power...= diffrent prop.

Hillbilly
10-01-2009, 12:05 PM
One reason the OJ's could have more vibration is the fact that they appear to be thicker. I had Acme's on my old boat and loved it, But they are very thin in the blade area's.

I have the OJ on my LSV and I notice the growl also. But the OJ feels a lot beefier than the Acme. I would have purchased an Acme but got 2 of the OJ's for less than cost.

cab13367
10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Here is a discussion going on over on wakeworld.com about the oj vs the acme props.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/733640.html?1254394046

Yup, I've been following that thread. It's good that the OJ rep is contributing to the discussion, I wish an Acme rep would also.

given what I was told by a major vendor of Supra & Moomba, if I needed another prop, it would be an Acme

Ed, care to elaborate?

Al, this is the prop the boat came with, I just know my old 03 lsv with the same motor did not make the growling sound and it had the regular prop on it. Its really not that bad but noticable at certain speeds.

daze, did you buy your current boat new?

my '07 came with an oj wake board prop upgrade. I bought an oj cruise prop for lower elevations and better fuel economy.

At about two hours on the cruise prop (first time using it)I swam under the boat and changed it back to wake board prop.I was at powell about 1.5 hours from the trailer. I gave it back to the dealer. I now have three props. Original Oj wake board upgrade. And two Acme. I have not ran the oj since my first acme wake board prop. The second acme I put on for powell/ crusing. It dose not guite have the hole shot at powell but lowers the rpms for crusing.

My original Oj has a little better hole shot when weighted alot but all around preformance I do prefer the Acme wake board prop.

The reason for two diffrent Acme props, we change almost 3,000 ft in elevation between lakes. More air for the engine= more power...= diffrent prop.

Which Acme wakeboard prop do you have?

One reason the OJ's could have more vibration is the fact that they appear to be thicker. I had Acme's on my old boat and loved it, But they are very thin in the blade area's.

I have the OJ on my LSV and I notice the growl also. But the OJ feels a lot beefier than the Acme. I would have purchased an Acme but got 2 of the OJ's for less than cost.

I've heard that as well and the OJ rep confirmed that the OJ is thicker than the Acme.

Thank you all for the discussion. This is very informative. I understand that both Acme and OJ have a generous return policy. I may have to buy both, test them, then keep the one that best suits my needs.

Venom93corba
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I was looking at the 1235 but then I saw the 1273 which is the exact SAME dimensions as the 1235 but has quite a bit larger cup size. The 1235 has a .105 cup and the 1273 has .150 cup. This should give you minimal top end loss if any and allow to keep the performance of the 1235 prop. Just a thought.

Glassguy001
10-02-2009, 01:52 AM
http://www.ojprops.com/home

Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
750 Natalie Blvd
Loudon, TN 37774
Phone: 865-458-5205

I spoke with the guy that designs the props. Very helpful. I just order the XMP Edge. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it worked out.

cab13367
10-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Please, please, please do some before and after tests and post the results. Things like time from zero to wakeboarding speed with ballast full, rpms at 20, 25, 30, 35 etc mph, top speed and at what rpm, etc. That would be valuable info for many.

Thx!

sandm
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
I, personally, think that any 14x14 prop will be a nice upgrade from those of us that have the 13x17, and we don't ski, so top speed is not an issue at all.

I wish someone had some definitive proof of the difference between acme and oj and the oscillation/vibration issues that oj seems to be known for.
seems that oj has the vibration issue, but has a "stouter" prop made with thicker material
acme has no known issues with vibration, but seems to be a thinner material that is harder to repair and MAY bend easier hitting those pesky underwater obstacles.

dtlaine
10-05-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a 2007 OB V with an OJ 14.25x14 prop. It makes the "growl" from about 8-12 MPH (annoying for surfing), but it gets on plane very quickly. I have the Stargazer, and it said 40 MPH @ 5000 RPM with no ballast and four people on calm water.

The boat made no growl and really didn't want to go much faster than 43 or 44 on small chop with four people and no ballast with the stock prop.

It's not quite apples-to-apples, but you don't give up a whole lot of top end for all the extra 0-20 power. I can't quantify it, but based on the throttle position to get on plane, I think I'll get my $$ back in fuel savings.

The dealer took my stock prop in on trade, and he only charged me a $100 difference.

jmvotto
10-06-2009, 06:47 AM
dtlaine i could get to about 47 with myself and my daughter on flat water. o ballast wake plate 1/2 up Have not really ran above 35 anymore. might have to if i want to barefoot again an i do slalom when the water is ever flat and not windy:mad:. I am intrigued about the new OJ prop

TommyL
04-22-2018, 11:21 AM
I have a 2018 Moomba craz with a OJ 14.25x14.5 prop with no ballast filled when at idle and wide open throttle the boat jumps to 5,000 rpm then comes down and takes off is this normal for this.