PDA

View Full Version : axis boat just arrived in Boise

sandm
09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Our local skiers dealer also sells malibu. they have a brand new axis a22 sitting on the floor.
gave it a once-over this morning. granted I have no idea how the boat actually performs on the water and the wake it throws, so all my opinions are just from looking at it in the showroom, and I have to say I would not be taking it out on a ride based on what I saw, and I don't think moomba has a thing to worry about :)

overall, the boat kind of looks cheap. gel has no shine, flat black surfaces on the windowframe and tower, upholstry looks cheap, the area under the passenger long bench seat is open and visible, not a good feature. It just didn't feel like a quality boat..

Now the price...
$48k with tower speakers, bimini and manual wedge. has hard tanks built in, but has another 1300lbs of ballast to make 2400lbs that can be added thru bags for another 1k. sales manager said mid45k boat for '09 but the '10 version would push 50k loaded.

the sales pitch was a vlx wake without the 70k price for the core rider.

you da man
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
The Axis wake is getting decent reviews for wakeboarding. There's a video on YouTube I believe about the Axis.

Jeff W
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
The wake is badass and there is a lot of room in them.

They are not competing with Moomba. The only real similarities is the price point.

This is a hardcore, wakeboat. No unneeded features, no flashy bling, not pretty for your wife who slalom skis.

I'd never buy one - but I like my boats to do "more" than wakeboard.

you da man
09-29-2009, 09:04 PM
The wake is badass and there is a lot of room in them.

They are not competing with Moomba. The only real similarities is the price point.

This is a hardcore, wakeboat. No unneeded features, no flashy bling, not pretty for your wife who slalom skis.

I'd never buy one - but I like my boats to do "more" than wakeboard.

Me too, I just can't afford the pimpest Malibu 24 LSV. I'm happy with my XLV.

sandm
09-29-2009, 09:17 PM
I think that they may compete more than you think. in today's day, pricepoint is what some people are shopping..
now someone will walk into our dealer and say I want to spend 45k on a boat. they will be shown axis and moomba, possibly a malibu vride.
2 boats trying to grab the same 45k that one consumer has to spend are competing imo.
now start picking them apart and someone is going to say why spend the same coin for a no-frills wakeboard machine when the moomba has the bling that will make the boat more enjoyable on the water, and a decent wake that will please 80% of the wakeboard market.

axis is a good idea and may have a killer wake, but a high30's pricepoint would have made much more sense after seeing one in person. I just don't see where you are getting 50k worth of boat.

you da man
09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Before I pulled the trigger on my new XLV a couple weeks ago I had an Epic dealer call me back after my demo drive and dropped the price of a new 09 Epic down to $43k and we all know how crazy huge the Epic wake is. The Epic's wake was big, crisp, and clean. We didn't even have the ballast full. However, there was more than a few things I just did not like about the boat that turned me off of it.

viking
09-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Gotta Say that I love my Moomba. But if money wasn't an object...........I'd have the Malibu LSV right now! Love that boat!

Me too, I just can't afford the pimpest Malibu 24 LSV. I'm happy with my XLV.

Jon
09-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I am a skiers choice dealer but spend a lot of time in other boats pulling tournaments. I spent about 4 hours in an axis 2 weeks ago. The handling was good at speed but was a pig around the dock. The wedge made it near impossible to position the boat where I wanted. The interior is just flat out plain IMO. The wake was okay but definitely nothing special. It has some size but no lip at all. With my experience, put the equivalent weight in an lsv than the axis has and the lsv will walk away with a win hands down on all aspects except interior room.

Jeff W
09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Meh.

Axis is a wakeboat

Moomba is a do all boat.

When weighted, the wake isn't even comparable. The pickle fork front is a big selling point for people hauling. The whole boat - including the seating options is designed for wakeboarding. The controls, the options available - all wakeboarding.

It's almost like saying that someone shopping for a $40k Mobius will also look at a $40k Chaparral with a tower or something.

Jeff W
09-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I am a skiers choice dealer but spend a lot of time in other boats pulling tournaments. I spent about 4 hours in an axis 2 weeks ago. The handling was good at speed but was a pig around the dock. The wedge made it near impossible to position the boat where I wanted. The interior is just flat out plain IMO. The wake was okay but definitely nothing special. It has some size but no lip at all. With my experience, put the equivalent weight in an lsv than the axis has and the lsv will walk away with a win hands down on all aspects except interior room.

Interesting insight. Aside from the docking issue - I disagree. The wake on the Axis I was in was sick. Nothing like a Mob. The interior is boring for a reason - function, not form.

I'd buy a new MB Widebody before I'd buy either.