PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best Lake in America?

desert wake 360
09-27-2009, 01:20 PM
I've always wondered who has the best lakes. Living in Arizona is great for year-round wakeboarding, and we have some great lakes close by, but the lakes get packed in the summer. Lake Powell is the Mecca for wakeboarders and is not too far away, but I was just curious where your "hotspot" is.

BensonWdby
09-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Probably need to define 'best'. For me best is small - no traffic - and calm - preferably private. For people who like to socialize or sight see or go the bar on the lake, or miles of open water - you are going to get different responses. And anyone who has a great 'hot spot' is not likely to share it if it is currently low traffic ...

My 2cts...

sandm
09-28-2009, 05:53 AM
I would guess that part of the distinction of the wakeboard capital has to do with the weather.

not to say that there aren't great lakes in florida, as I have not visited any, but I would guess there are lakes around the US that are much better than what you will find in florida, especially looking at the depth(for surfing) and the color of the water, but florida has the great weather going for it :)
annual ramp pass at the lake I run at most of the time is $25 at one end, $20 at the other and has 2 ramps that are free, and it's the only lake in the area that charges. the other 3 local lakes are free.

moombadaze
09-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Been on a few lakes from the pacific northwest to florida and havent found the best yet-found lots that I like for different reasons but not one alaround best.

jimmobius
09-28-2009, 09:27 AM
We have been on a lot of lakes also in the mountain west , some charge a fee, some don't. Montana has the least usage and most scenic , if you can stand cooler water, 70- 75 deg. Powell for warm water , and if you know where to go , very little boat traffic. Colorado, front range lakes are always busy , you need to buy a lake pass to minimize the boat traffic and travel time to the lakes if you know what I mean. Wyoming lakes , some don't charge at all . I know there are other areas in the country that I have seen pictures of and would love to check them out . Arkansas lakes look great , long boating seasons and reasonable real estate. Arizona lakes I have seen without my boat look real inviting with warm weather and water. I will find that out real soon .
Jim.

zabooda
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
I would say Lake Powell even though I haven't been there (yet). Anytime you can boat in an area the resembles the Grand canyon it has to be cool. I keep my favorite lake to myself as it has limited access even though it is 50 miles long. You won't see but a few fisherman even on the the 4th of July so you need to know survival skills if you break down as the chances of seeing someone and getting help is rather slim.

I go to certain parts of Lake Roosevelt but I go to a campground there where no one goes because they can't tow a ski boat on a one lane primitive road. My friend broke a spring on his fifth wheel getting into that spot this year. Again, there is nobody around and over Labor Day weekend there was only one other camper and they had a jet ski.

All I ask for is 100 degree weather, 80 degree water, glass and no people. Very simple.

newty
09-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Lake Powell hands down. With the exception the those freak storms.

jester
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
If you want to expand past lakes into rivers i would have to say the snack river just outside of Pullman WA. I grew up skiing on this river. On a busy day you had 1 or 2 boats in the same area and it is a very wide area so you where not hitting each others chop. If it did get choppy in one area you go around the next bend and it would be calm or you wait about 10 min and it would be calm again. water temp was great (ok i was a kid on a boat so any water temp was great). Also this was from about 13 years ago so my information is old.

For more current would be Cougar Res in Oregon just outside of Eugene. Lake stays calm all day, or you go into the arm to get calm from the little chop and you might see 3 or 4 other boats on a bad day. Only down side is there is no dock. Could be a plus side too since it keeps people away.

yearround
09-28-2009, 09:30 PM
we have just spent five days at Lake Powell. fantastic time, as aintskeed and others will verify. will get a few pix sometime. visited at least 1-2 weeks/year through the 80's and early 90's (wow im getting old)

but i would say the best lake is a state of mind. flat water and one boat (are we really all that solitary?)

zabooda
09-29-2009, 01:46 AM
"but i would say the best lake is a state of mind. flat water and one boat (are we really all that solitary?) "

I feel that way sometimes. That is a good thing.

desert wake 360
09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Thanks for all your comments. Its interesting to read different perspectives of what the "ideal" lake is. Flat water, fun with friends, family, and a great state of mind is what I think most of us search for. Maybe that's why we own boats.

jmvotto
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
The one i can walk right out on to my dock , jump in the moomba and go, My lake, has virtually all aspects of water sporting on it,( board ski, surf, tube, party bar hop etc.) even Ice fishing and ice sailing in the winter. No ramps fees at the public acesss. Virtually free except Mortgage and taxes:p

jclevoy
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
The best lake in the USA???? Why..........the lake that is in my backyard;)

At least it is literally in my backyard. It is 15 minutes from my home. Dale Hollow lake in TN is up there with the best of them..........ESPECIALLY this time of the year. Absolutely empty.

yearround
09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
morning shot of lake powell, i just wish i could get people to wake up early enough to ride this water!
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=12&pictureid=1830

my bow riders
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=12&pictureid=1831

jester
09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Ooo Ooo i would go. For some reason i have the same issue. don't people know they can take a nap mid day. Also that is a lot of people in the bow.

scoot_gt
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
morning shot of lake powell, i just wish i could get people to wake up early enough to ride this water!

#@$%$!!! I was just there and soooo would have gotten up early to ride

BensonWdby
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Early morning runs rock...

jmvotto
09-29-2009, 09:25 PM
ditto......

kaneboats
09-30-2009, 02:50 PM
That shot looks a heckuva lot like my bow.

jimmobius
10-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Luv that lake powell pic. Where did you go on the lake? I missed it this season , next year 2 trips maybe. It ranks right up there on the favorite lake list. Arizona is calling me this month and I am hoping to take the moomba with me to check out the lakes I have visited from shore .

yearround
10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
kane,
that is the joy of families moomba! only 2 of that bow bunch are mine.

jim,
we car camp from stanton creek. that is where the sunrise shot is. we took 2 other families with us who had only been years ago as teen's. we had 20 people and 2 boats!

we did what i would call the usual 1st timers stuff, north to forgotten, moki sand dune, then to rainbow bridge, a few slot canyon hikes/swims, lunches under overhangs... traveled close to 200 miles on the water (gps lost reception ALOT in the canyons)

would really like to boat camp like aintskeed if had a friend with a houseboat. lots of good stuff up escalante and san juan that you can only get to if you spend the nights down.

good luck with the AZ trip. you still going out up here? my week day rides are probably done, will be going out on saturdays when i don't have out of town runs. will be doing a halloween ride on CC.