PDA

View Full Version : Tower Feet Screws

tazz3069
09-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Well last night I went to change out the rubber pads under the rear tower feet. It was kind of a pain. I could not turn the screw for the life of me. I took my imapact screw gun and stripped the head of the screw. So, I went from the bottom. All thre of them. I removed the nut and washer. I then had to hit the screws from the bottom up. Well when I finally got the screw out, they were all bent. Bent so bad, I could not turn them. After I got those out, I noticed that the base was loose on the tower leg. Those two allen bolts were as tight as possible. That also was a pain to remove. Finally removed the base from the tower leg. I noticed that the threads on the inside of the base was stripped out. That goodness I had a tap set in my work truck. I had to retapp the threads so the screw went in both all the way in and straight. I am glad that the rubber pads had to be changed. I could not imagine what would happen if those bolts failed and the tower came loose. Someone could have been seriously hurt. Check your screws on the your towers. I know that the front bolts are OK because to had to remove them to install my speaker and tower light wires. This is the first time I had to remove the back screw and bolts.
Tazz

bjames
09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Hey Tazz3069,

Why did you have to change the rubber pad?

tazz3069
09-28-2009, 07:14 PM
The rubber pads kept on coming out. This will be the second time that I had to change the pads. I also noticed that it does not matter how much weight is on the tower. When I first bought the boat, and had nothing on the tower, the pad still came out. I think that tower has alot of movement when either in tow or on the water. This movement causes the pads to break loose and move it way out from under the feet. When I installed the new pads, I scuffed up the gelcoat under the pad with sand paper and sprayed 3M spray adhesive to help keep the pad in place. After this weekend, the pad did not move at all.

newty
09-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I was told by the dealer that SC installs those screws with an inpact gun and they are put in so fast that the nylox nuts melt to the bolt. I know when I took one of my tower feet off I wanted to punch someone in the throat! they were stripped bent and broken by the time I got them out!
My rubber pad has been fixed once by the dealer and now is starting to scoot out again. I feel your pain bro!

tailgate
09-29-2009, 10:14 AM
I had my pad looked at before my 1 yr service was up, and it appears they just cut the pad to make it not stick out any more... So how much do these new pads cost... Is there a better alternative than the factory pads, seadek material?

tazz3069
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
I just got an email from Reed Claiborne from SC. He wanted to know about the problem that I was having in regards to the screws and pads. I had called him and waiting for a response. Nice to see that SC is browsing these threads to see what everyone is talking about.
Tazz

tailgate
09-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Mine is doing the same thing...

What is the reason for the pads slipping out? is the tower not on tight enough at the base? The dealers install the towers right, not the factory?

Tazz, when you removed the back bolts, did you have enough play to get under it without removing the rest of the tower? Ill have to attempt this this winter, since I'm missing part of my pad...

Also side question, when removing the front bolts, did you have enough play to drill a hole for the speaker/light wires...

bjames
09-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Does anyone have a photo of the tower foot gasket? I am trying to figure out how they would fall out. I thought that they would be a single peice that covered the whole contact area with holes in the center for screws.

Also how tight are these tower feet screws supposed to be? How do we know if they are too tight?

tailgate
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Dont have a picture, but if I remember correctly, there are 3 screws, 2 in the back (1 inside and 1 outside) and 1 on the front (outside). Mine was starting to slip out the inside front/side, sticking out about 1/2 inch. but I notice the outside side pad is up under the base now...

phospher
02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Also how tight are these tower feet screws supposed to be? How do we know if they are too tight?

I'm curious about this as well. I put a scew driver on the tower feet screws and was able to turn the screws quite easily. I'm thinking they should be tighter but how tight?

Ian Brantford
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
It would be great if someone from the factory could post a torque rating (it's probably in inch-pounds) for these screws.

DOCDRS
02-02-2010, 08:35 PM
I went in from under neath and tightened all my bolts when i did a once over on my boat after 5 hours..... check just about every screw nut on the boat. going to do it again after 20 hours as well as everything ano the 20hourr check list

DOCDRS
02-03-2010, 10:23 AM
on my 2009 its easy to se and reach the front tower feet..backing plates with bolts on the screws. They are easy to tighten with a deep socket or wrench. The rear supports are almost a 2 person job one to hold the screw and one to reach up from the storage compartment locate and tighten the bolt , these were the most difficult as i didn't have someone helping me at the time, also the reason i can see why they were not tight in the first place. I did hand tight plus a1/2 turn on the nylon washered bolts

Razzman
02-03-2010, 11:44 AM
When i did my stereo makeover i also pulled the nuts and cheap washers out and replaced them with SS washers and nyloc nuts, problem solved.

04OUTBACK
02-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I have replaced mine too. and still coming loose
i wonder if you could tighten the nuts down and then put a second nut on it?
They vibrate loose