PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Packing Nut - Can I still use the boat

cab13367
09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
The packing nut on my boat has been letting water in at a steady stream instead of a drop every few seconds like it's supposed to be. I have tightened it to no avail. I know I need to replace the packing but my question is, can I continue to use it the way it is for now? I will probably use the boat a couple more times before I put it away for the winter (and replace the packing) - will I damage anything if I use the boat with the packing leaking like it is?

Thanks,

Al

cab13367
09-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Well, I guess I'll answer my own question. According to the dealer, it will be fine.

I think I am going to upgrade to the dripless seal over the winter though.

VA LSV
09-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Dripless is the way to go. Search for an old post with step by step drive shaft removal instructions. On a v-drive, install the tee for dripless seal cooling water in the hose on the drivers side of the thermostat housing.

cab13367
09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I can't seem to find that post - mind posting a link to it?

Thx.

VA LSV
09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Instruction to seperate the shaft from the flange. It is a taper fit.

"Once you unbolt the shaft flange from the transmission you will have to take off the nut holding the flange to the drive shaft. To do this you will need to find a block of wood to rest the prop on to keep the shaft from turning, it will take a 1 1'16 socket to unscrew the nut from the driveshaft. Dont worry, no damage will be done to the prop. Once you get the nut off you will put a spacer, I used a socket betweet the end of the drive shaft and the transmission, get some 4" bolts and nuts to fit, bolt the flange back to the transmission with the spacer in between and slowly tighten the nuts, this will pull the flange off the shaft."

LSV04
09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Mine has been leaking for 2 seasons. I will get it fixed this winter. Just keep an eye on it if you leave your boat in the water. The bilge pump might burn out- I would not let 2 days go by without checking the water in the boat.