PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Top - Stupid Question

squeeg333
09-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Alright, this is probably a stupid question, but I once hear that there aren't stupid questions, just stupid people. Either way, here it is...

I recently bought an use 08 LSV, and it has the factory bimini top. It works great, and when it's open is great. I am curious though if there is a way to adjust the height of it. It seems that the side legs can slide up and down, but for the life of me I haven't been able to move them. The reason I ask is because the straps are all extended as far as they can go, and are VERY taught when it's open.

I am just curious if they are suppose to be super tight (I know they need to be tight for wind reasons, but still). I also am confused because I don't have any adjustment room at all - meaning I can't make the straps any looser.

I don't know if this makes sense either, but if it does, let me know what you guys have. Thanks!

Razzman
09-21-2009, 05:26 PM
The factory bimini is kind of confusing, i had the same issue when i first got mine only to figure out that the legs are supposed to be collapsed to their shortest length when it's up, and extended to their longest when it's stowed for travel. That way you'll have all the adjustment you need on your straps. You do want them fairly taut when the bimini is up.

I no longer have the factory bimini but when i did i, did it this way;

1) Erect the bimini and hook in the front straps.
2) Twist the rear straps a couple times to prevent flapping.
3) Extend the straps so that they are about 2 inches from the loop.
4) Pull down gently on the rear bimini bar to hook the straps to the loop.

That should get the bimini and the straps at the proper tension so it doesn't flap in the wind.

squeeg333
09-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks Razz. Are there supposed to be two holes in the main pole? One for open and one for stored positions? The explanation in the manual talks about the bimini pole have two positions, and have a "push-button" to move between the two holes. Mine doesn't have two holes in the pole. There's only one - unless on has been covered up one of the plastic brackets.

But either way, this makes much more sense. I appreciate it. I'll give it a little more effort to move the poles this coming weekend.

Razzman
09-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Nope only one hole, one position like i said is totally collapsed/bimini up position. If you pull it all the way out until it clicks and then try and erect the bimini you'll bend the supports. Same if you try after it's up. If you want to raise the bimini higher you have to move the clamps up.

moombadaze
09-21-2009, 08:26 PM
yep, only one hole for the storage position.

Now,what i did was add one extra hole so the top is just about 4inchs higher from the bottom. I kept hitting my head on the bimmini and this helps.

squeeg333
09-21-2009, 08:37 PM
That seems to be about where mine sits when it's open. The pole is about 4 inches up from the bottom when the bimini is open. It maybe be more than 4 inches, not sure. I'll have to check that.

Looks like I now know why I was confused. I've left it where it sits, no matter if it was open or closed. It's pretty close (I think) to the storage/closed position right now. With it being that high up, the straps are stretched to their adjustable limits, but the poles arent' extended enough to get the snap to go thru the hole. I was confused because I was sure that there had to be something for that hole. I'll have to mess around with it when I get home. We were out a few weeks back, and I tried to extend/retract the poles, and it just didn't want to budge. But, like Razz says, I think the poles may have a little bow in them now due to being mis-used.

Thanks guys!

cab13367
09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
squeeg,

It's not a dumb question, it's poor execution by Skier's Choice. I went thru the exact same thing when I first tried to put up the bimini and posted on this forum. I was told (correctly) that SC meant for the bimini to be opened in the lowered position and stored in the raised position. Well, that's just dumb because then you're having to duck under the darn thing all the time when it's open.

Fortunately, the solution is simple (if you haven't bent your bimini poles already). Just replace the two front straps with longer ones (got mine at the local boat shop for cheap). You can then open the bimini with the poles in the fully extended position (with the pins in the holes), the front straps will reach the front eyelets, and you'll have 6' of headroom under the opened bimini. The rear straps are long enough so you're good there.

If SC would have just specified longer front straps, then we would have the option of opening the bimini in either the raised or the lowered position.

Here's a pic of my boat with the bimini in the open position with the longer front straps.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/boat7.jpg?t=1253585144

squeeg333
09-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks Cab. The photo helps some.

It looks like the previous owner went to the extent you did, ecept for getting longer front straps. Basically, both front and back straps on mine are all the way extended. The biminin iteself isn't fully in the "closed/storage" position as the pins aren't in the holes, but I am guess it's very close.

I noticed the same thing you mentioned though, that I was hitting my head on the front of the bimini when walking thru, so I was a little bummed to hear they meant for it to be even lower! That's just crazy.

SC must have thought all of us would have been 5' tall. Even then we might have to duck!

cab13367
09-22-2009, 09:23 PM
If the pins aren't in the holes, I wonder why it won't move then. Maybe he glued them together or something??

squeeg333
09-23-2009, 10:51 AM
I was pushing on them pretty hard too. I am going to take the bimini off this weekend and see what I can do when it's off the boat. I'm thinking they are either glued in place, or maybe have some gunk that's got them stuck together.

The funny thing is, if they are glued, they aren't exactly the same height. That was the reason I was trying to move them in the first place. We're not talking extreme different lengths, maybe an inch or two, but I can tell - and it bugs me.

Ah the fun of an used boat... you never know what was done to it before you. I just hope I can get it figured out.

Does yours move pretty freely up and down?

cab13367
09-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes, mine moves very freely up and down.