PDA

View Full Version : What to use on the gel coat?

you da man
09-21-2009, 12:30 AM
Is there any good spray products you guys are using to clean/detail the gel coat after you come out of the water. Looking for something that is easy on, easy off, and of course friendly to the gel coat. I know some of you have your boats at the house but that's not an option so a little soap and water is not possible everytime I take the boat out

viking
09-21-2009, 12:36 AM
White Vinager and Distilled Water 50/50 mix

you da man
09-21-2009, 12:39 AM
White Vinager and Distilled Water 50/50 mix

Stinky...but very effective on water spots

brain_rinse
09-21-2009, 08:26 AM
If you do it every time you take the boat out, Babes Boat Bright is the best I've found so far. It doesn't do that well on the water spots though.

I have been trying a lot of different products trying to find something that shines as well but also removes the water spots. All the products I've tried are either thicker and more like a wax that require a second pass with a dry towel to bring out the shine, or just a quick detailer that doesn't do as well as BBB.

moombadaze
09-21-2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.babesboats.com/

they have a spot remover--i havnt tried it yet but i have bought the seat soap,seat saver and boat brite by the gallon---love this stuff,

they have bucket kit that includes all the products

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
09-21-2009, 10:20 AM
What about amonia? I have some awful water spots.

brain_rinse
09-21-2009, 10:37 AM
There are a lot of products that are good at taking off water spots, but they also take off wax. I wish I could find an easy to use product that does both, but maybe it's just wishful thinking and it has to be a two-step deal.

GeauxTigers
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
Ducky! I buy the gallon jug and dilute it 50% water 50% Ducky. Even if you are (God Forbid) lazy enough to let the water dry up overnight (it has happened once or twice after too many Coronas back at the camp site after a loooong day on the water), it still wipes down like brand new.

moombabound
09-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Vinegar/water to remove grime (I suggest not wasting $ on commercial product. I tried the dealer's product, Mastercraft Hull Cleaner, and it was completely ineffective. Returned it. Vinegar removed grim instantly with little effort).
-> One cloth & a small bucket

Wipe & dry with water to remove vinegar/dirt residue.
-> Two cloths (one wet; one dry), same bucket

Shine it up with Dri Wash 'n Guard. Friend put me onto it and it's great.
-> Two micro-fibre cloths

End-to-end, doubt it takes me more than 15 minutes.

09-21-2009, 04:18 PM
I've been using Hot Sauce from boat bling and it's great. Picked up one of the big packages and has been working on my boat for over a year.

link: http://www.boatbling.net/

Razzman
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Waterspots. All of the above will work unless you live/boat somewhere like i do where there is a very high mineral content in the water, then your hosed. NONE of the above mentioned solutions will remove hard water spots. I know because having black hull boats for the last five years i've found the one solution that works. Prevention, don't get 'em in the first place!

If you clean the hull of the boat real good and apply a couple heavy coats of a good quality marine wax a couple times a season then you won't have a problem. I wax with Meguiars Flagship Marine Wax twice, then immediately apply Babe's Boat Bright over the wax. This makes it so slick that virtually nothing will stick to it.

When you pull the boat out of the water, immediately use Babe's Boat Bright at the ramp clean-up area and it will look like new. Even if the water dries before you can do it you'll have no problem. Spray on the Babe's and using a microfiber towel wipe the boat down, wet or dry, clean or dirty, it will not scratch the boats finish. The wife and I tag team it, she applies and wipes the grime and i come right behind and buff it all out before the Babe's dries. If you do this every time your boat will always look like new. I've done it this way for two years on the LSV now with no visible scratches on my black hull.

brain_rinse
09-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Leverage polish, Ed?

AaronWhitt82
09-21-2009, 09:00 PM
I just started using Babe's hard water spot remover. Stuff works awesome, but will also strip the wax a bit so you will have to wax over the spot again.
I will usually use Babe's Boat Bright over the top of it after I get the water spots off.

For some of the harder stains/spots I will use a really light rubbing compound and I also just started using Wizard's scratch remover and Wizard's Shinemaster. Stuff is great and I believe it is more of a wax replacement/cleaner.
I use it on the hull for some of the yellowish stains and it takes it right off.

I also just bought some Collinite fiberglass boat wax #925 and this is by far the best wax I have ever used. Stuff smells a bit funny and is kind of greasy, but wow it leaves a really nice slick finish and it is really easy to take off and I believe it is "detergent proof."
Just make sure you apply it really thin.
After I pulled the boat out Saturday I hardly had to wipe it down and there was barely any scum and it was still as slick as when I waxed it.

cab13367
09-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Yup, Babe's Boat Bright. I do like Razz except that I have two spray bottles of the stuff and two microfiber rags and I have two of the crew immediately liberally spray and wipe the hull after pulling it out of the water, one person on each side. I then put away the stuff inside the boat while they work on the outside. Works great and the gelcoat always looks shiny.

Sled491
09-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Babes is the only way to go, so simple and all there stuff works great. I have the gallon of the boat bright and am constantly refilling my spray bottle, the water spot remover is unbelievable, I need to get a refill. Last the boot butter is about the best boot lube I have come accross, worth a try!