PDA

View Full Version : Where Do You Keep Your Moomba??

jclevoy
09-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I thought it might be an interesting thread to see where people keep their boat. I feel fortunate that I have a large building that is insulated and with a concrete floor. The best thing is that it has a 13' ceiling, so it is never necessary to drop the tower. I had the building built for our last boat (a 22' Pontoon) so the building is plenty deep. It is 24x36' with a 12' wide slider door in the front.

Where do you keep your boat?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u295/jcelevoy/Moomba/IMG_1914.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u295/jcelevoy/Moomba/IMG_1915.jpg

you da man
09-20-2009, 05:45 PM
I keep mine in an enclosed 12x36 boat storage. I also has a concrete floor with roll-up door that allows the tower to clear by 3-4". The place I keep mine is very secure with access gate, cameras, and each stall has it's own security system/code plus a cool lock that is flush so no one can use bolt cutters or anything like that. I feel that my boat is safe there.

LSM
09-20-2009, 06:27 PM
I keep my LSV in my garage. I do have to remove the swim platform, drop the tower and swing the tongue on the trailer but it fits right in one bay of my two car garage.

jclevoy
09-20-2009, 06:55 PM
LSM, Do you have a single door on your two-car garage? Or, is it two singles?? I have a fairly large garage, but it has two-single car garage doors that are 9ft wide. I really think that it would be a struggle to get the boat in my garage.

LSM
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I have two singles. 9 ft wide.

However, I do have plenty of room to line up and back the boat straight in. There is not a lot of room but if you line up straight it will go right in with no problem.

Kidder
09-20-2009, 08:40 PM
I keep mine in a boat/RV storage lot. It's covered on all sides but the front. It's a 35 foot slot so I can back it far enough to keep it out of the weather.

BensonWdby
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
The trick to the 9 foot single doors is to try to 'just miss' the side of the door you can easily see when backing it up. The other sid should take care of itself. But have someone watch the first time or two..

tazz3069
09-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Mine sits in the garage. I also have to remove the swim platform and drop the tower.

zegm
09-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Garage,

Drop the tower, remove the swim platform, swing the trailer hitch over and she in. But that won't be for at least 2 more months!!!!

viking
09-21-2009, 12:01 AM
Garage as well. Drop tower, remove platform, and swing tongue. I have a 3 car but only 1 other vehicle fits with the boat and all the other s*%t we have stored in there. Got kids toys, kids clothes, lawn tractor, bikes, wagon's ect... fighting for space. My wife would like to find another home for the boat and use the garage this winter. I just struggle to park the boat and my stang anywhere else! What's a guy to do?

yearround
09-21-2009, 12:13 AM
fortunate guy to have that size of a building and that size of property to have that size of building!

we store ours in the third car side of our garage. i extended the back of the garage and changed the door to 9x8 opening. drop the tower, remove the swim platform and the traier guide poles.

you da man
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
How long is an Outback V and LSV on trailer without platform and tongue? There's no way I could get my XLV in my garage.

pmoomba
09-21-2009, 06:48 AM
Does anyone have theirs outside all year (I am in PA)? I don't own a boat yet but am getting closer. I have a 2 car garage but with individual doors that are each slightly less than 8' of usable doorway, so there's no real good way to get a 96" beam boat + trailer in there ( I'd be considering an Outback V).

My first thought would be to pave (or gravel) a small area next to the garage and park it outside with appropriate covers (would normal covers be sufficient or is there something more designed for sitting all winter, or just an extra tarp?). Sounds like I'd at least want the full one piece cover. Maybe an aftermarket skirt for the remainder?

I may potentially be able to cover it with one of those canopy/carports but would have to verify with association.

Beyond that it's either park outside or find a place to store it (clearly not free), so I'm investigating options.

moombadaze
09-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Sits in the 3rd stall of the garage, lucky in that it clears the top by about 1/4" with the tower down, and have enough room for my truck and most important-the wifes car:)

tazz3069
09-21-2009, 08:11 AM
My wife would love to use the garage. Its hard to find an enclosed garage that I could rent. The only time my boat sees the sun is when it is in tow and in the water. I have seen boat in regular or outside parking. Here in Vegas, the weather is so harsh, it ruins the gel coat a d destroys the boat. IMO.

kaneboats
09-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Remove platform, tower down- back up till it hits the garage rear wall. Door makes it by 1".

csm
09-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I keep mine in a 12x30 gated storage spot. Sliding door, with plenty of height, so I don't have to really make any adjustments to the boat. I do swing the toungue away and wrap it with a flexible bike lock.

Biggest problem is that it's near a lake, so the spiders are rediculous. I've had to kill multiple black widows that have gotten a little too close to my wakeboard binding. Luckily no big spiders in the boat yet, but we will be moving close to the lake next year, and a garage that will fit the boat is a necessity.

dtlaine
09-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Here's where my boat sits 12 months a year. I keep the cover on it when it's not in use.

jester
09-21-2009, 01:40 PM
During the summer i keep mine in a fully enclosed storage area close to my place. During last winter i took it too my parents place that has a covered storage tent. I might just leave it in its current home this winter but the parents place is free to store so that is a big plus.

zabooda
09-21-2009, 02:31 PM
I leave mine outside but I remove as much as I can and store either inside the boat or the shed such as the spare tire, swim deck, trailer guide pads and all of the bling on the tower.

cab13367
09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
I keep mine in the middle bay of a 3 car garage. I have a double wide door and 9' height so I drop the tower, remove the swim platform, and fold the tongue. Have about 6" to spare. Once inside, I have enough head room to put the tower back up which I do. Makes it easy to climb in and do stuff on the boat while in the garage. Such as have a couple beers and listen to the stereo :o)

jmvotto
09-21-2009, 03:58 PM
goes to the dealer for winter inside storage and annual maintenance:mad:

I need to built a pole barn or something:mrgreen:

mmandley
09-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Fierah sits in one bay of my 2 car garage.

Remove the Z5, guide poles, and swim deck.

Back her in till the wake plate is a few inches from the wall. Swing the tongue and close the door.

I did have my 2 singles doors changed and a custom door made for my garage last winter in prep for the boat.

Mikey
09-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I store mine regretably outside year round in our backyard.In summer it gets bird bombed and rained on and winter it gets snowed on. I wash and wax preseason and post season and touch up in between,to keep as clean as possible..Boat tarp gets sealer added twice a year as well to help with weathering.

With winter coming soon ,i'll clean and wax and fully winterize,prop open engine shell,put in a dehumidifier pad,add a two by four support over the boat and add a fairly heavy tarp over,boats tarp to help carry snow weight etc.Boat sits on a sidewalk pad, and is relatively sheltered,but non the less outside. I wish i had more room in the garage,but not too be.

jclevoy
09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
Here's where my boat sits 12 months a year. I keep the cover on it when it's not in use.That is a SWEEEEEET place to be able to keep your boat. :D

JesseC
09-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Here is proof of how much I love my boat, here is where it sits during the winter:

House remodel to allow us to fit the boat.
http://lisaandjesse.5u.com/MoombaLoad/index.htm

Here is where it sits during the summer, I just back it into a 40X14 stall that is open on both ends and lets the boat dry out.:

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/05-29-09071.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/05-29-09073.jpg

Razzman
09-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Mine stays outside year round in a "custom" boat shelter. I bought the 20' shelter Costco sells and extended it another 6' with chain link fence hardware and covered that with a HD tarp. I back it in through a 10' double gate i built. It's covered top and three sides until winter when i put on the other wall to close it in until spring again. Stays dry and clean.

jclevoy
09-23-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for all the pictures guys. It is interesting to see where people are keeping their boats. Some really resourceful ideas out there on where to keep it and how to keep it nice. Thanks for sharing.

desert wake 360
09-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Wow... Nice place to keep the boat. I have a portable enclosed canopy for storage, however it needs be replaced periodically. it would be nice to build something permanent.

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 12:14 AM
So, guys with the '08 LSV, we talked about the length, which is around 22'6" overall with the tongue swung away. But, what is the overall height on the trailer with the tower folded down? I never had to worry about it with the Outback b/c my aftermarket tower would fold below windshield level. I may need to make and adjustment or let air out of the tires. :eek:

Edit: OK, I did some searching of the old posts. It looks like the 7 ft. door I have should give you 84" of clearance. If it does you have no trouble. Mine only has 82" if I pop the door loose and pull it up. I'll try to adjust the opener to pull it up further. Also, I think I can drop the tongue down and get a little room if necessary. Worst case scenario is I have to let a little air out. But, it looks like it is going to fit.

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-08-2010, 05:51 AM
when i first got my boat in july of 09 i had it stored at a marine repair and storage place bout 2 miles from my house which is ironic cause i live in the middle of nowhere. it was 12 foot ceiling and a 10 by 36 bay. i got tired of paying 100 a month so this fall i built her a 20 wide by 32 long 12 high garage with 11 high and 10 wide door opening. just finished it up completely this weekend so this winter its unheated next year she'll be warm! i'm gonna take some pics and i'll post em tomorrow. i've lucked out never had to take the tower down but in the off season i'll take off the platform and swing the tongue to give me more room in there to do things. gonna have my recliner and mini fridge in my man cave too! plenty of room for the jet ski and 4 wheelers too.

hey sled i love the moomba banner... that is my boat on there. that'd look pretty sweet hanging in my garage! any idea where i could get that exact one?

Sled491
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
No idea, I was surfing E bay one afternoon and came across it. You could just steal one from a boat show :D

mmandley
03-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Kane as long as your garage door is 7ft you will clear it. I have a 1970 house with a standard height garage door, its exactly 7ft tall and the garage braces are 2.5 inches below that when the door is open.

Lay the tower all the way down, then take the mirror off and she slides right in. I can leave the mirror on but then it rubs the seal on the upper part of the door and Claudia always freaks out thinking its going to break one day LOL.

moombadaze
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
KB, when't out and measured my garage opening. thought it might help as you have seen my garage and driveway angle.

floor to top 83.5 inches
foor to seal flap 83 inches

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks, guys. It's going in there or we're building a house a lot sooner than I thought. (I mean we'll be building a garage with a house attached).

Sled491
03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Thanks, guys. It's going in there or we're building a house a lot sooner than I thought. (I mean we'll be building a garage with a house attached).

Isn't that funny. Next house we build will be centered around how big a shop I can fit on the lot and how big a garage I can have, the rest of us can sleep together in the living room with a small hot plate in the corner :D

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 03:27 PM
We are still looking at plans for the new house. Donna thinks we need a 3 car garage. The lot is 4 acres. I told her, "No, a 2 car is fine for the first garage."

Sled491
03-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I have a 4 car 26ft x 40ft, and my subdivision will let me put up another 760 sq ft garage (basically 2 car). But the short of it is the 4 car is not big enough. I only keep 1 car in it, and the boat only in the winter, and man I'm always looking for more room. And remember, unlike you Florida folks I have a full basement, that's another 2000 sq ft, plus the lake house and another basement out there.

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong...maybe I just have too much crap!

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 05:17 PM
You may be one of those "hoarders". It's time to let go of all those old magazines in your basement.

moombadaze
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
lol, it is ok to toss something out every once in awhile

Sled491
03-08-2010, 06:39 PM
But all my stuff is cool and worth a million bucks! Magazine's pfff, I'm talking my drum set and my old DH ski stuff and Hockey stuff that I haven't used in like 10 yrs :) Oh and of course the 470 boxes of kids stuff that my wife is saving for her 38 yr old single never married, not dating sister who may have kids some day?

Razzman
03-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Kane, the tallest point folded will be the hinge (or thereabouts) on the front leg which on my double axle trailer measures out on flat ground at 88" or 7.33' for you non-math types. :p Mine will NOT clear my 7' garage and even if it did it still wouldn't fit unless it was turned sideways.

Mrs. Kane
03-08-2010, 08:10 PM
OMG! It better fit in our garage! I was ASSURRED it would fit.

Mrs. Kane
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
WOW What was I thinking not checking in here! "building sooner than I thought" MUSIC TO MY EARS! LOL
It will fit in the garage right? I don't want it outside while a house is being built AND I don't want one of the huge garage doors on my new house.

moombadaze
03-08-2010, 09:45 PM
it will fit, thats what sledge hammers are for;)

Sled491
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Philistine!!

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 10:44 PM
it will fit, thats what sledge hammers are for;)

I sure as 4ell hope you mean on the HOUSE.

wolfeman131
03-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Look, I'll make it easy on the Kaneboats crew.

You can just store it on my boat lift. Plenty of clearance, protected from the elements and I'll wax her up once a month. :)

Sled491
03-08-2010, 11:57 PM
Now that's a buddy :D

newty
03-09-2010, 12:06 AM
Here's where my boat sits 12 months a year. I keep the cover on it when it's not in use.

The words "I hate you" come to mind.

Kidding, I'm extremely envious.

kaneboats
03-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Look, I'll make it easy on the Kaneboats crew.

You can just store it on my boat lift. Plenty of clearance, protected from the elements and I'll wax her up once a month. :)

Thanks for the offer. We'll take a vote and let you know.

ian ashton
03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Its first winter I stored it in my garage;
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4541&stc=1&d=1268144647

But since we bought a new house L has decided that its more important to actually park our cars in the garage rather than the boat, so this winter I kept the boat in my dad's garage.

Regretably she stays in the water without a lift all Spring/Summer/Fall.

Second boat in last spring on 4/16 - only other boat at the marina was the sail boat in the background. I rode the next day. Hoping to beat my record and ride on the 4/2 this year :)

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4542&stc=1&d=1268144824

kaneboats
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Ooooh. That seems cold. I wonder if April 1 would be more appropriate.

ian ashton
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
April 1 is a Thursday, so I will probably wait 'till Friday to dunk her in.

csm
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Question for you guys that store in a garage and have to angle the boat... What's the best method to do this? Do you start her in straight, and then cut hard to push it to the back corner, then finish pushing the toungue by hand? Or do you start it at an angle with the truck?

We bought a house w/ a 3 car garage, but it's only 20 feet deep. I have FAE, so I want to avoid taking the swim step off, which I think there's room for, but I just want to have a plan of attack about the angle I need to back it in before experimenting.

wolfeman131
03-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the offer. We'll take a vote and let you know.

my crew all votes "YES!" :p

we can even pick it up for you and go see the rat when we're down there.

moombadaze
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
csm--back straight in the middle then angle back-note:if you have a double axle trailer you will be hard pressed to move by hand

Wolfman-cold beer for you also when your done with that rat

ian ashton
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Question for you guys that store in a garage and have to angle the boat... What's the best method to do this? Do you start her in straight, and then cut hard to push it to the back corner, then finish pushing the toungue by hand? Or do you start it at an angle with the truck?

We bought a house w/ a 3 car garage, but it's only 20 feet deep. I have FAE, so I want to avoid taking the swim step off, which I think there's room for, but I just want to have a plan of attack about the angle I need to back it in before experimenting.

I only have a single axle trailer, so I back up about half way into the garage, unhook, and just pushed it into position.

Same phenomenon with my new garage; its wide as hell, but only 21' deep. Luckily my dad's garage is big enough for my boat, his Hornet, and our Honda N600, plus a ton of other random packrat crap.

Sled491
03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Ian, why no lift?

Swamp Star
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I keep mine in the garage threw the winter. Now its in the back yard with the tower down and covered with a cover and a tarp.

DOCDRS
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Keep it here 11.5 months a year. Occasionally it will go on a road trip to show of the trailer.

Sled491
03-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Yeah that just blows me away. On a side note I wish we could have those kinds of lifts here in WI. Man when Z got his built last year in Florida I was just drooling :D

ian ashton
03-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Ian, why no lift?

I don't own a home on the water (I can't believe we bought a new house this year and DIDN'T buy on a lake!), and the slips at our marina are too narrow for a lift.

I'm actually changing marinas this year; the new one offers dry dock services, but I'm affraid we use our boat so much that we would drive the guy nuts. Plus I'm out late and start early very often. I don't like the idea of having to rely on someone to dump my boat in with a forklift.

Sled491
03-11-2010, 08:51 PM
With the rain we are getting today the lift and dock might just float away! :oops:

Z on a side note having one of your days today :(

Sled491
03-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't own a home on the water (I can't believe we bought a new house this year and DIDN'T buy on a lake!), and the slips at our marina are too narrow for a lift.

I'm actually changing marinas this year; the new one offers dry dock services, but I'm affraid we use our boat so much that we would drive the guy nuts. Plus I'm out late and start early very often. I don't like the idea of having to rely on someone to dump my boat in with a forklift.

I hope you don't make that mistake again:)

The only reason I brought up the lift thing is you made a point earlier to mention no lift. I did that one year, in 98 when I bought my Nitro, never again. In fact I moved where I was keeping my boat just because I couldn't fit a lift.

Sled491
03-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I bet there are a lot of houses to be stolen as it were now. Might have to do a bit of shopping while down there this summer :)

kaneboats
03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I'd be willing to keep an eye on your lake house (and keep the fridge stocked) while you are out of town.

Sled491
03-11-2010, 10:11 PM
My house? the one on the lake? My sanctuary? My castle? OK, but don't leave any rings in the toilets or the wife will get pissed :D

Sled491
03-11-2010, 10:52 PM
that would be the one.

I'm having a party on Sunday at my house. It is all the guys I fish with, we're making Jigs and Sinkers for the upcoming season. Wouldn't it be good to have a new fishing buddy for that big lawn ornament? :) As well as a fellow DD advocate?

kaneboats
03-12-2010, 02:03 AM
I was definitely talking about your "new" lake house down here. In fact, I have your realtor scouting out properties right now. I'm assuming you want a boat lift with a gun rack built-in, right? (alligator control, you know).

Sled491
03-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I was thinking turret mount on the lift:)

Sled491
03-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I've been getting back into fishing again big time. Did several trips this fall, have 3 big trips planned for the spring. Just need to find a new fishing boat, haven't had one since I sold my Nitro.

kaneboats
03-12-2010, 09:33 AM
I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the "lawn ornament" was. Has it really been 2 years since you fired up the zegmfisher?

sanity
03-12-2010, 12:33 PM

I have a three car garage, and the slot that the boat sits in is a tandem slot. That is, the third slot sits perpendicular to the other two. So, back the boat in as far as I can with the truck, then use a power dolly to get it the rest of the way in (I have a slight incline at the top of my drive) and positioned perfect. It takes some practice, but I have the routine down pretty good now.

Sled491
03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
You know Z, you can come fishing up here with me anytime, and I will gladly go down there and spit a day of fishing with you any day.

Sled491
03-17-2010, 09:48 PM
that's what I'm talking about :)

skiyaker
03-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I didn't notice the difference in tower designs between the 08 OBV and LSV until now; mine's like Asthon's where the entire thing folds forward- hoping this will take out any debate about whether it will clear the 7 ft door. Otherwise my wife might be kind of pi$$ed that I busted out the back wall in the garage to make room for the boat.

skiyaker
03-24-2010, 09:46 PM
well I finally feel complete again. Moomba is sleeping peacefully in the garage. Busting out the wall to make room was well worth it! Umm... still too much crap in the way to fit my wife's car in there too but oh well.

zegm
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Great job skiyaker!

I was lucky enough that I have about 1" foot behind mine or I would have had to bust a external wall out. But there is something else you should know, man I wish I had a picture, but I even store stuff under the trailer while she sits in the garage. And under the bow makes a good place for car jacks, push mowers, etc. stuff you need to get to easily!!!

you da man
04-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Thought I'd post up some pictures of my storage unit since I was out there today. 30'x14' with roll-door, lighting, power, concrete floor with 1.5" lip so no wind driven water/rain gets in the unit. Can't beat it for $85 month.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/Boat/2010_0404Gambler0002.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u197/seeajgo/Boat/2010_0404Gambler0003.jpg

Sled491
04-04-2010, 09:27 PM
That's one nice storage unit. Where's the flat screen

kaneboats
04-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Yea, and the recliner and keg fridge. Heck, you wouldn't need the house anymore.