PDA

View Full Version : 06 Mobius LSV or 05 Wakesetter VLX

Skiing-PT
09-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I am looking to buy my first wakeboard boat and would like some input. I have found an 05 VLX with 250 hrs priced for 35,000. I have also found an 06 LSV with 45 hrs for 29,000. Both boats are comparably equiped and in great condition. Malibu owners swear by their boats. What do you guys think?

tprkolbas
09-19-2009, 11:43 AM
things to consider:

1. for service, is there a malibu or moomba dealer near by that is convenient for you.

2. the vlx will probably be a lot more plush & have the bells & whistles than the lsv - but is that necessary for what you want to do behind the boat.

i have an 08 lsv. one of the guys i ride with has an 05 malibu i-ride. his boat has way more power than mine, but i like my wake better. his has much better vinyl and dashboard controls than mine, mine has the stuff i need & was cheaper. my buddy swears by malibu, but i swear by moomba & i have had to tow him back to the dock.

i suggest you test ride each to compare. if you can, get a set behind each. malibus tend to hold their value a little better - that is why the vlx with 250 hours still costs more than the lsv with 45 hours. you really can't go wrong with either boat - it is a matter of what you like.

maxpower220
09-20-2009, 11:43 AM
So the $6000 is not a big deal?

250 hours is not a lot or "too many", but it is a lot more than 45. At least you can see what condition the boat is in after that much use, that could be a good indicator on how the boat will last in the future.
Mostly, you should ride both boats and determine which one you like better. Dealer support is a factor.
Both are good boats, you probably can't go wrong with either.

Razzman
09-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Malibu owners swear by their boats. What do you guys think?

Of course Malibu owners swear by their boats, we do too. I think if your looking for an opinion on Malibu Boats you won't get it here. Malibu makes a quality product though a pricey one. Example an aquaintance of mine bought an '07 Malibu same time i bought my '07 LSV. He gushed about the holdover deal he got for $60,000 and brought it by to show. It's a VTX which is only 20'! $60K for a 20 foot boat! Yes it has all the bells and whistles but consider this, i got the same bells & whistles on my holdover LSV for $39K otd!

Personally i don't think any of them are any better than the rest as far as quality goes, although they'd like you to think they are. All boats are built well and have to meet industry standards. As said it's the amenities or bling level and what's important to you. Sure fit and finish comes into play as well and yes some are better looking in that department. When i bought i had up to $20K to put down and i could have bought anything. I bought Moomba for the value, what you get for your money. The build is nice, it looks good and most importantly it does the exact same thing as the higher priced boats without breaking the bank. Two seasons now and not one problem, i sure can't complain. It all comes down to what's important to you. I'm glad for other reasons but i'll say this, i don't worry much about my five grandsons in my Moomba, It's tuff!

Drive them both if possible, only then can you truly make up your mind. I'll say this, either one you choose will be a good boat.

Reese350
09-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I agree with much that's already been said here but all other things equal, I personally would go for the LSV. It's a year newer, has a fraction of the hours, and is $6k cheaper. We have an 06 LSV and have very few complaints about it. On a deal like this, I think it comes down to personal preference. Probably can't go wrong in either direction. Good luck!!