PDA

View Full Version : Portland, OR

Reese350
09-17-2009, 10:17 PM
We are contemplating a move to Portland. We would likely sell the LSV here but pick up a new one out West.

I've seen there are a few guys from the PDX area on here. What's the local wakeboarding/ski scene all about? Is it all river skiing or are there some decent lakes in the area? Does the water ever get warm or is it wetsuits all summer long?

Thanks!

RobertJ
09-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Reese the Northwest is a great place to live. I have lived in Salem, 50 miles south of Portland, since 1985.

Water temp on most bodies of water in the summer, June - early Sept. is 70 degrees or a little above.

A great person to talk to is Greg Waters from Active Water Sports. He is a great guy and would be a good resource for you. Active sales the SC, MB, and Malibu lines and they are probably amoung the best in the nation. 503-650-5991 or www.aws-online.com

Jester (a little farther south) MMandley, Cab, and Newty are also great Portland area guys that are on the forum and could help you out. I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.

Another resource is www.pdxwake.com in the winter it becomes www.pdxsnow.com It is a good board with lots of wake and snow stuff that is relevant to the Portland area.

Good luck.

zabooda
09-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Remember everything is more expensive out west so you may reconsider selling and buying.

mmandley
09-18-2009, 03:48 PM
We are contemplating a move to Portland. We would likely sell the LSV here but pick up a new one out West.

I've seen there are a few guys from the PDX area on here. What's the local wakeboarding/ski scene all about? Is it all river skiing or are there some decent lakes in the area? Does the water ever get warm or is it wetsuits all summer long?

Thanks!

There is a lot of boarding on the Willamette and most of the PDX crew go there. Varius streatches but it is a River and it pretty questionable to some people how clean it is. Claudia for one absolutly will not go there. If i take the boat in it she grips the whole time about how she cant get in the water and she realy hates the grim ring on the boat when we pull it out.

I personaly love the local lake i live buy. Henry Hagg. Or the Hagg its realy busy on the weekends so i dont go there but on the weekdays its all mine and all glass most of the time.

I do a lot of boating in Souther Washington also at Yale < Saddle Dam > little more windy in the day but still big and open. Stay near the sides of the lake and you will find smooth waters.

South of Robert and down by Jester is by fare my favorite 2 places in all of Oregon ive been so fare but there 2.5 hours away and thats Dexter and Fall Creek. I loved Dexter because its always open, nice surroundings and pretty decent size. Fall Creek is huge 4x the size of Dexter but they drain it in the late summer and refill it early summer but it has realy nice arms on it and lots of room to be alone and boarding.

If you make it up hear email me id be happy to show ya around.

If you do sell your boat and dont get one in time for good weather holla im always looking for more boat members and would love to show some fellow Moomba peeps the area.

Reese350
09-20-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys. I will definately get a hold of Greg and AWS once we settle in next summer. They sound like great people. I'll keep you posted as we get closer, there are still a thousand details to work through (aside from the boat). :)

cab13367
09-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Reese,

Portland has a great boating scene. In fact, when I moved here 2-1/2 years ago, I was surprised to learn that Active Water Sports in the Portland area sold more Moombas than any other Moomba dealer in the country that year.

There are stretches of river that are always glassy smooth plus there are several lake options within an hours drive or so (so not real close). But there are lots of places to put in on the river.

The water doesn't ever get real warm although wetsuits are not needed in the summer. The water is usually mid to high 70's on the lakes and maybe high 60's/low 70's on the river in the summer. Right now, the river is 61 degrees and it's pretty late in the summer. Still easily doable in a wetsuit.

Looks us up when you get out here. Any of us would be happy to take you out.

jester
09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Portland is nice but if you want a lot of lakes to ride on then Eugene is your place. I have 7 lakes within an hour drive and even more within 2 hours. Like Mike said is Dextor is open year round and the rest of the lakes we have about 10 more days on before water level is too low. When come to the area let us know and we would be happy to show you around. Also one great thing about Portland and Eugene is the home made Beer. Some of the best Beer around.

newty
09-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey bro I moved up here 12 years ago and never looked back. There aren't many places you can ocean surf in the morning, wakeboard in the afternoon and snowboard at night all within 70 miles of portland.
This is a great place to live, you can live in a nice rural area and still be 25 miles from the city.
Really a nice area. There are limitless areas to ride. Flat H2O is right in saying there are some awesome places to go out east Oregon or Washington
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area.

zabooda
09-24-2009, 02:37 AM
This was what some friends from Iowa got last week when they wanted a change in scenery. Too bad the 90 degree weather will be gone by this weekend.

Reese350
09-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Wow, that is an incredible looking lake.

Thanks for all of the info and well wishes guys, I appreciate it. I've been out here this week and the weather has been amazing. I want to spend some time out here this winter and see what it's like. All I hear is that it is dreary and rainy. I guess that beats incredibly cold and snowy.

I'll keep you guys posted as the time gets closer.

mmandley
09-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Heres 2 pictures of the lakes i go to

Local Henry Hagg in March
Mt St Helens at Yale < Saddle Dam >

zabooda
09-24-2009, 11:16 AM
The winters in the northwest can be dreary and wet but I have picked up activities where that is a good thing. A good wet day is excellent for mountain biking or dirt bike riding and snow skiing will usually get you a sunny day as you get above the inversion cloud layer.