PDA

View Full Version : tower down and towing

moombadaze
09-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Wondering if anyone tow's a gen2 (06 and newer) ls or lsv with the tower down long distance? If you do how do you support the tower? I know the factory ships them tower down but have never seen how they do it.

Thanks

Mike G
09-18-2009, 07:34 PM
moombadaze,

This picture was taken as the boat was being unpacked and shows how it was shipped from the factory. This is an 09 xlv but I do not think there is much of a difference on how they ship them. I make a few long drives over the summer and have never towed it with the tower down - hope this helps.

Razzman
09-18-2009, 07:44 PM
All of my tows are at least 1.5 hours to get to any lake. I've towed up to six hours and all with tower up, no issues. Same on last boat and it doesn't make much difference on gas mileage as it's very little resistance.

_sT_
09-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't want any movement on the tower while towing, so I leave it up. I think towing with the tower down potentially puts too much strain (due to motion) on two of the mounts, instead of being shared by all four.

moombadaze
09-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that picture Mike, thats what i was looking for.

So far i have always towed it(over 2,000 miles the last year) with the tower up but this last trip the bugs were horrendous and cleanup is a major pain when they are dried on, that was the reason for asking. Might just take the speakers off and put something on the tower to protect it.

_sT_
09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
You can get speaker can covers just for those. I suppose there might also be tower wraps, but I've never seen one. I've heard of people using sheet plastic or even saran wrap when they are towing long distances - just wrap everything above the roof of the tow vehicle. Of course that could turn into a pain depending on how often you travel.

I've also read about using Pam cooking spray once the tower is clean to help prevent things from sticking... I can't remember if this found to be a dumb idea or genius - and I haven't tried it myself.

jclevoy
09-19-2009, 10:08 PM
A buddy of mine just put a 4-inch tear in one of his seats while putting his tower down for storage.:(:( My philosophy is that the less often you have to put the tower down.........THE BETTER!!!

_sT_
09-19-2009, 10:14 PM
When I fold my tower down it sits on a pressure treated chunk of lumber on the top of the gunwhale for the few minutes necessary to back into my garage. Once inside, I take a short chunk of ski rope and hang the tower from a bicycle hook in the ceiling to the rope hold on the tower. Keeps the tower off the uphostery, and makes it easy to climb in and out of for off-season work.

Razzman
09-19-2009, 11:40 PM
Being as i have to lower the tower each time i put it away i made a 4x4 support with feet that spans the gunwales. Added bunk carpet and the tower rests on this when stowed. Has worked perfect for two years now.

jclevoy
09-20-2009, 08:59 AM
I guess that I count myself lucky then. I have a 24x36' Metal-sided building that has a concrete floor and is fully insulated. The best part is that it has a 13' clear ceiling, so it is NEVER necessary for me to lower the tower.http://https://forum.moomba.com/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

I had the building built for our previous boat that was a 22' pontoon.

SEARK
09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for that picture Mike, thats what i was looking for.

So far i have always towed it(over 2,000 miles the last year) with the tower up but this last trip the bugs were horrendous and cleanup is a major pain when they are dried on, that was the reason for asking. Might just take the speakers off and put something on the tower to protect it.

Where we are bugs are always an issue when traveling. I've never had an issue cleaning them off when I clean the boat. I use soap and water and never really scrub that hard to get the tower clean. I don't have tower speakers (yet) so I don't know how tuff they are to clean. It has never even occured to me to travel with the tower down and now that I think about it I never would. Just to much that could go wrong IMO.

Razzman
09-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Where i live bugs are a way of life and you either get used to it or move! I have covers for the tower speaker box and the racks. I tow 40 miles to the home lake through ag land which borders the river so we get it all. Coming back too late gets you swarms of gnats. Still i have no trouble cleaning the tower, wet a micro rag and wipe it down and everything comes right off in five minutes or less.

Worse than the bugs are the swarms of spiders that hatch and float across the lakes each spring. You spend all day wiping and keeping them off or your boat will be full of them!