PDA

View Full Version : Under Powered Or Not?

Silver89
09-17-2009, 04:01 AM
So i'm looking at a new or newer Mobius LSV for my next boat. They seem to be the best bang for the buck by far. One of my bigger questions to those of you who already have one is wether or not you upgraded the motor. Or has anyone found they wish they would have upgraded from the standard 325hp engine. I dont want an under powered boat. Also does the wake prop upgrade make alot of difference?

moombadaze
09-17-2009, 07:35 AM
I have a 08 lsv mobius with the 325hp motor, in a years time i have not wished for more hp once. I currently have the upgraded wakeboard prop and will run 2,000 ballast plus people, cooler and other stuff and it will pop up on plane and run with no issue. Extremely happy with the boat overall and could'nt ask for more.

yearround
09-17-2009, 09:06 AM
i am exact with daze, except for 2k ballast. and i am at high elevation (denver) never needed more power, very happy with the 325. when skiing without ballast, it rips out of the water!

Razzman
09-17-2009, 10:27 AM
The LSV with the 325 hp motor and wakeboard prop is more than enough for any situation.

Ian Brantford
09-17-2009, 01:14 PM
In this thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=75331#post75331

there is a discussion about engines in the XLV, which is heavier than the LSV. Summary: get the wakeboard prop; the 325 has lots of power.

Brian Raymond
09-17-2009, 09:59 PM
The 14.25x14 wakeboard prop. is a awesome prop. for standard weighted and heavily weighted boats. It delivers the out of the hole and steady driveability needed for loaded boats. It maintains the performance throughout the full range of the motor with minimal top end loss. This is the same prop. that is used to pull the WORLDS w/over 5200 lbs. The part # is 106069 fyi. Brian Raymond

you da man
09-17-2009, 11:20 PM
I don't think you can "upgrade" one of these motors...it's not like an outboard. You just have to find another boat with the larger motor. I could be wrong but I don't think dealers have spare 340hp and 409hp motors sitting in crates waiting to be swapped out.

Hoopskier
09-18-2009, 01:56 AM
I don't think you can "upgrade" one of these motors...it's not like an outboard. You just have to find another boat with the larger motor. I could be wrong but I don't think dealers have spare 340hp and 409hp motors sitting in crates waiting to be swapped out.

I think you misunderstood what he was asking. I believe we all know that you can not swap and I/B like you could an O/B. What his intent of a his question is, is the 325 hp enough or should be looking for a boat with the 340 or larger engine.

My personal thought on the subject is buy the most engine you can afford (on the same platform). By buying the most you can afford you eliminate this whole senario. You can't say "I wish I would have, when I could have." It easier to get a tower, ballast, wraps later rather than more hp.

Added: I should mention that I'm a general skier, not wakeboard/wakeskate/surf specific. I like to tube, ski, barefoot(hp helps that top end). I'm the type of guy who would rather have a little extra, rather than come up a little short. If everyone says the 325 is good, then i would assume the 340 is the "icing on the cake" so to speak.

Silver89
09-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Wow! Thanks everyone for all you comments. With everyone saying the 325hp is plenty, especially in all the different situations mentioned it seems like a waist of money to go with even the 340. Although the local dealer here in Spokane claims that the 340 is an all around better motor, i'm still looking for info to back that up. "Hoopskier" does make a great point, the boat i have now is an aluminum 18 1/2' sportfish (i know i know, you gotta start somewhere though) with a 115 four stroke and there are times when more power would be good.

Some food for thought though: My outboard i mentioned above costs almost as much as the 409hp option on the Mobius.

VA LSV
09-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Biggest difference is the 340 has catalytic converters, the 325 does not. I don't think you will notice the difference in hp.

Ian Brantford
09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
The only difference that I can see in performance between the 340 (which I have) and the 325 (which my buddy has) is that the 340 revs higher and gives a higher top speed, at very high cost for fuel. In normal operation, there does not appear to be a significant difference.

Ian Brantford
09-18-2009, 08:47 AM
... also, in the year that I bought (2005), the 340 had a more powerful alternator, so it would be better for those running high-powered accessories.

tprkolbas
09-19-2009, 11:47 AM
i have an 08 lsv with the 325hp engine. i weight it down with 2400 lbs of ballast. without the wakeboard prop, it will be a SLOW shot out of the hole & takes a bit to plane out. this also applied when i had just the 1200 lb gravity 3 system.

with the upgraded prop & have no issues with power. i can't quite hit 40 mph with empty tanks, but i don't care - i'm not looking to go fast. i'd rather go big behind the boat.

maxpower220
09-20-2009, 11:37 AM
The 325 and 340 are the same motor, just adjusted different and cats. The 409 is a different motor.
Like is was said before, if you can afford the 409hp, get it. There is never a point in the boat (or your car) where you think, "I wish I had less power". The 409 was not available when I ordered mine, but I would have gotten it. IMO, there is not enough difference in power to justify the 340 over the 325. Also, the cat system will cost more in the long term if it needs to be repaired/replaced.