PDA

View Full Version : rough waters

Laurieb
09-15-2009, 09:39 AM
We are seriously thinking about buying a Moomba LSV since my daughter is really loving wakeboarding-we currently own a SeaRay Sundeck and our only hesitation is that we like to go boating a few times a year on some large lakes (Lake Winnipesaukee in NH). I know a wakeboard boat won't ride as smooth on rough waters but will it be bearable?

Thanks for your comments

SEARK
09-15-2009, 09:44 AM
I've ridden in some pretty rough water and it was not a problem. You just have to slow down a little.

jester
09-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I have been in rough water and just slow down and move the wake plate all the way down. Move the wakeplate up and power up a little if you know your going to hit a big wave so water does not come in the bow.

_sT_
09-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I don't know what the free board of newer Outbacks is, but if I'm not careful I can circle back on my own wakeboard wake, slow down at the wrong time, and take water over the bow.

If there's white caps, we don't go out (unless I know where the calm spots are). Ocean's freak me out, so no issue there. :p

EDIT: Oh you said large lakes. My ocean's comment was just off topic then :D

moombadaze
09-15-2009, 07:46 PM
had my 08 lsv out on new years day in whitecaps, works ok in rough water but speed plays a big part.

Razzman
09-15-2009, 07:59 PM
The LSV can take on some pretty rough stuff without issue, I've done it.

you da man
09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
If you have to cross big water often...size matters. My favorite lake has 2-3 miles of open, deep water so having a larger boat helps.

Laurieb
09-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the advice- I really have my heart set on a Moomba and from what everyone has said-I think we can manage! Now I just have to find a good deal!

moombadaze
09-16-2009, 08:05 AM
if your close to Florida the dealers here have some great deals.

Laurieb
09-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I'm on the east coast but up North and there aren't many left around here-so we are willing to travel for a great price-Any dealers you would recommend?

sailing217
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
For a rough ride, I would think the XLV would ride even a bit better than the LSV. Demo both. Pre-06' LSV have less freeboard so I'd stay away from older ones for big waves.

2 other manufacturers of wakeboats that have a deeper V for rough water are Centurion and Sanger but new they are a bit more money. Their hulls have been around longer so if you are looking used, then they are in the price range of a year newer LSV (some have longer warranties). Again demo and soon is better as people are starting to winterize up north.

Northofthe49th
09-17-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't know what the free board of newer Outbacks is, but if I'm not careful I can circle back on my own wakeboard wake, slow down at the wrong time, and take water over the bow.

If there's white caps, we don't go out (unless I know where the calm spots are). Ocean's freak me out, so no issue there. :p

EDIT: Oh you said large lakes. My ocean's comment was just off topic then :D

Didn't know there are oceans in Alberta lol