PDA

View Full Version : Water Strainer

Lawdog
09-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Looking to see how many people have the Water Strainer accessory on their boat. Has anybody installed one after market? Any suggestions? The boat I am trying to purchase does not have it installed on it and I was thinking of adding it if it is worthwhile.

wolfeman131
09-13-2009, 11:26 PM
sled put one in and I think he'd say it was a great upgrade for him

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7796&highlight=strainer

zegm
09-14-2009, 12:01 AM
You would simply cut your water intake hose in half just behind the block and splice it in with 2 hose clamps. Not more than 5 minutes. We ordered our boat with it and it is worth every penny. It has a clear bowl and you can see the water flowing and you can see the junk accumulating. Just unscrew the bowl rinse it in the lake and reinstall and you are done!

mcdye
09-14-2009, 07:56 AM
You did not mention if DD or VD ride. I added a Stainer to my 02 VD. It is a great piece of mind and easy install. There is alot of crap that was caught by the Transmission cooler strainer that would have been caught by the new strainer. The new strainer is much easier to see issues and take care of easliy. I got the major parts from Discount Inboard Marine (http://www.skidim.com/default.asp) and then a couple of elbows from local hardware store.

TSC
09-14-2009, 09:02 AM
added one at the 20hr service as a precaution.

Lawdog
09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
09 XLV...so VD obviously. The dealer quoted me approximately $400 for parts and labor. Problem is I think the part is only about $130. So I thought I would give it a go and install it myself. I figure there shouldn't be too much to it.

zegm
09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Times must be real hard at that dealership!
It is an easy install!

mcdye
09-14-2009, 11:17 AM
09 XLV...so VD obviously. The dealer quoted me approximately $400 for parts and labor. Problem is I think the part is only about $130. So I thought I would give it a go and install it myself. I figure there shouldn't be too much to it.

ouch...parts for mine was $62 from DIM and spliced existing hose.

viking
09-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I bought my boat with the strainer already installed. I've cleaned it out quite a bit this summer. But then again in the river I run it there is alot of debree and crap that it collects. After seeing what goes through the intakes..........I wouldn't own a boat without one!

Looking to see how many people have the Water Strainer accessory on their boat. Has anybody installed one after market? Any suggestions? The boat I am trying to purchase does not have it installed on it and I was thinking of adding it if it is worthwhile.

Lawdog
09-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Sounds to me like it will be a good investment.

Mikey
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I got mine as an option and i think it was about 125.00. I really like it for some of the fine weeds and algae we run into. Open it,rinse it refasten good to go.

Sled491
09-14-2009, 08:32 PM
It's a great investment. I bought mine from the Moomba classified section for like 30 bucks. Had to buy 2 hose clamps about 3 bucks. Took me a bit longer as I stopped to take pics to post. But there was another Moomba member who did a super clean install on a V drive. Do some digging and you'll find it.

OldeBoy
09-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I concur that it is a great addition. $125 seems way too expensive. I bought mine at skidim.com for ~$50
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1006

Mikey
09-15-2009, 09:02 PM
yah but that was at moombas marked up price. Don't quote me on 125.00 but that price comes to mind.It was agood investment just the same.

zegm
09-15-2009, 09:28 PM
OK I am going to be a "Price" moderator here!!!!

I didn't have this "GREAT" item (the water strainer of course) on my old boat which shall remain nameless now because I have been told "we are tired of hearing about it, put her to bed, time to let her go etc." And this is not the point, the point is I clogged up the transmission cooler about 4 years ago without knowing it. Well I guess when I saw the huge clouds of blue burning rubber smoke coming out the exhaust I kind of figured I had a little problem.
Well I did the work to repair the damage that was done. So if I remember right the cylinder head repairs were about 250 dollars (warped heads). The gaskets sets put me back about 100 dollars (and these were automotive, not the more expensive marine sets). The exhaust tubing was 1.00 dollar an INCH! And I needed 110 inches for 110 dollars. I completely ruined the existing suction pump so I had to replace a pump that was no longer available with a newer model that cost me around 250 dollars (at least it had a new impeller in it!). Then I had to modify some brackets to get the new pump to work. So lets see the parts cost me about 710 dollars!!! Now lets create a Marine dealer "labor factor" here just for the fun of it. Lets say that for every dollar a part cost the labor is 2 x parts cost. I might be way off but this is for fun remember! So the labor would have been 1410 dollars, heck lets round that off to 1500 dollars labor (remember I used an automotive gasket set so this is OK here). Add this 1500 dollars to the 710 dollars and you get 2210 dollars!!!
Ok my point here is if someone spent 125 dollars on a water strainer......well....I think that is still a GREAT DEAL!!!!!

Sled491
09-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Ok Ok Ok, point made. Doesn't mean I don't like the fact that I only spent like 35 bucks for mine :)

zegm
09-15-2009, 09:54 PM
You are cheap!
Some poor boat dealer probably had to skip the "Skippy" Peanut Butter brand and buy the cheaper store brand just to feed his kid lunch cause of you! :D

Sled491
09-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Not Cheap, no never cheap....Thrifty :)

zegm
09-15-2009, 10:07 PM
AH!!! OH!!! Excuse me for the misunderstanding! Yes you were being thrifty!
Good job at it too!

I would also like to say that almost every time we go out we clean weeds out of our strainer!

Now when we were on Kaneboats river, the mighty Flint it stayed totally clear! And the great part about these strainers, I was able to see that it was a clean river!!!!

Sled491
09-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Mine I see full of these little black roots and all kinds of sand and small stones. Best thing is I haven't had to replace any hoses since I put it in. That's not cheap, that's smart

Lawdog
09-16-2009, 07:49 AM
OK well I am definetly sold on the water strainer. For those that have installed a water strainer yourself do you know if it voids out the warranty?

Garn
09-16-2009, 10:32 AM
For those of us who are mechanically challenged, how would I know if my 07 LS direct drive has one? And if not, how do I install it?

Garn

zegm
09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
First I don't think adding a device that can only help protect the engine would void the warranty. We ordered our LS with it already installed. Probably your best bet is to make sure you order the one that the factory uses.

Second,

If by chance your dealer installed one or you bought the boat used and it had it it is easy to see on the LS. It will be installed on the intake hose and will be clearly visable just behind the engine. The one we have has a large clear bowl with a screen inside of it. I am sure it can been seen on an LSV also as part of the reason to have this device is so you can unscrew the bowl and clean out the screen.

Third,
It is an easy install, you cut the intake hose slip the unit between the cut ends and tighten down the 2 hose clamps that secure it to the unit. Just make sure you put it where you can access it easily.

Lawdog
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM
On Skidim.com there are two different water strainers. The first is with a 1 inch and the second is for a 1.5 inch. Does anybody know which one I would need for my 09 XLV? I am picking the boat up in a week or so hopefully and wanted to get it ordered so I can put it on when I get the boat. Thanks in advance.

Razzman
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Lawdog look at the thread in the Mods section. I posted on this subject, you can get the identical strainer made by Hypro who makes the sherwood from McMaster-Carr for half the price. You just need to make sure and specify the 20 mesh screen.

Strainer thread (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10494)

you da man
03-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Not Cheap, no never cheap....Thrifty :)

I like frugal better.

Sled491
03-31-2010, 10:16 PM
Frugal sounds like my inlaws :)