PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing my Moomba in Southern California

CarolinaGirls
09-13-2009, 12:24 AM
I live in Southern California and recently bought a 99 Outback that was kept in Big Bear, CA which is at 7000 ft and they get a lot of snow in the winter. The prior owner winterized the boat and stored it shrink wrapped as he lived in snow country. I chose to bring the boat off the mountain and store it close to my home in Mission Viejo. The question I have is related to winterizing the boat. If I live in a climate where it never gets below say 40 degrees at night do I need to still winterize the boat? I understand the need for oil changes and hose checks but I would like to take the boat this winter to the desert and consider using it in AZ. So I would like to minimize the winterizing as I want to use the boat. That being said I expect from Dec or Jan through March will probably be dormant time for us even in Southern Cali. Any suggestions?

jester
09-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Are you still planning on using the boat during the winter or not? I would still think you would want to drain the water out of the boat and spray fogger into the engine so it will turnover in the spring.

CarolinaGirls
09-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. I do want to use the boat this winter but I'm not sure yet whether I will be able to. I appreciate the advice.

yearround
09-14-2009, 10:12 AM
i think there are lots of places that you could get out and on the water over those three "winter" months. granted many of your lakes are prety low, but still. i would not do a thing, then i would be committed to getting out at least once a month to keep the engine all lube'ed up!

use that boat, and have you shown up pics yet?