PDA

View Full Version : Changing V-drive Oil

DDL
09-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the great tips, photos and step-by-step proceudres to walk me through the winterization of our XLV.

The one problem I have is getting the V-Drive oil changed. I purchased a 12-Volt pump from a local auto parts store and it works great for the engine oil change and transmission oil change. However, when I stick the much smaller tube down through the V-Drive filler hole, I can't get anything to pump out.

I realize the oil is mucher thicker but is this because the pump isn't strong enough or that's not the proper way to change out the oil. Short of purchasing another pump, any advice on draining or changing out the V-Drive oil?

Visually it still looks clean and we didn't put many hours on the boat this season - crappy weather - but I'd still like to change it out annually regardless of the hours.

Mabel Lake XLV
09-12-2009, 05:56 PM
The V drive oil is 30 grade oil so it's going to be a little tougher to get out especially at this time of year. With nights cooling off, it even makes it tougher to draw out. As long as the diameter of your tube is sufficient (and isn't bottomed out) you should be fine. Obviously if you have another day of boating in you, it would be best to change out as soon as you get off the lake.

DDL
09-12-2009, 11:01 PM
MABEL LAKE XLV - I've sent you a private message

Fman
09-13-2009, 07:11 PM
You really cant pump out the Vdrive oil. If you have a walters, which I believe is what Supra/Moomba both are using its not to difficult to drain. Trying to force a tube into the bottom of the pan will not work because of the gear configuration.

If you are facing the vdrive, on the right back lower side on the pan you will find a bolt. This is the drain for the Vdrive. The '08 Supras have the walters which holds 1 qt. Some of them, depending on the model might only hold .5 qt. If you get a milk carton and cut it down to fit under there you can contain most of the oil when it drains out. I would also recommend putting some towels under the vdrive unit to absorb any overflow or slop you are not able to contain while draining.

Once drained, simply refill with 30w oil. The fill hole is on the top front center where the pressure relief cap is located. They recommend the vdrive oil change at first 100 hours and/or every 500 after. I am doing mine at the beginning of each season.

moombadaze
09-13-2009, 07:33 PM
For the last 5yrs i have just stuck the smallest tube my oil changer has down the dipstick hole on the v drive and got out most all the oil-since its so easy, i just change the v drive oil evertime i change the engine oil.