PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Prop

04-20-2004, 06:04 PM
I am currently waiting for the delivery of my XLV and am wondering if anyone who has owned an inboard for some time has any thoughts on which prop is a better choice, a stainless steel or the standard brass.

If you have any imput on leaving your boat all summer long in a slip on the water. Good or Bad? Thank you in advance.

Summit_SS
04-26-2004, 07:38 PM
Well looks like our guest didnt write to much...LOL.

But stainless is great if you are in deep water..the dont flex and go through the water much better.

Down side is that if you hit rock or somthing along those lines...your prop wont ding or break but something else will.

So kinda of a 50-50 if you ask me

purplepower
04-28-2004, 05:40 PM
I prefer the nibral props for the reasons outlined above. Also a good shop can change the pitch or cup to fine tune performance.

Granted the SS prop will not flex as much, giving a better top end. For pulling from a standstill, some deflection of the blades is actually beneficial. It allows the prop to decrease pitch under high load. This allows the motor to hit its peak hp/torque sooner for a better takeoff. Obviously there is a point where this deflection hurts top end otherwise we would all have plastic props.

Any engineers out there want to comment?

Does anyone have a cost breakdown on SS vs nibral? I assume SS is coming down in price.

I would agree that four blades is better for our purposes.

The truth is that if you are running in an area with a risk of hitting the bottom, you should not be using an inboard boat. Outboard maybe.

CWS_Kahuna
04-30-2004, 04:49 PM
I am running a SS Cutter prop right now. I've been very happy with it. I think both styles have there good and bad.