PDA

View Full Version : Getting nice "pop" behind a Mobius LS possible??

compact
09-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey guys, ive been a long time reader, but a non-poster until now...

I have a 2005 Mobius LS and im having difficulty getting a large clean wake behind me in order to get some serious air. I just recently added a 370lb fat sac to the rear and an additional 370lb sac to the front which equals out to be 1490lbs of ballast total with the oem ballasts.

Is getting nice height/pop on the Mobius LS (2005) even possible? Just wanting to know what people's experiences were/are. Maybe it's just me, the rider that needs tweaking, lol..which i would be happy about.:)

Thanks guys.

STANG KILLA SS
09-11-2009, 10:01 PM
pics of wake. what arent you satisfied with?
size? shape? more peak? washed out? what are you comparing it to?

the LS and LSV hulls are identical to 06. so you should have no problem getting the same wake as an LSV. do you have built in ballast too?

compact
09-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Stang, sorry for being so vague. I guess it's the size of the wake, and more peak that im concerned about to get me that pop im looking for. I'll see if i can dig up some pics.

I was under the impression that the hulls were changed in 06?

I do have my built in ballasts still.

Sharpie647
09-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Do you have a wakeplate? Any Idea what speeds you are wakeboarding at? What about line length?

Lets have all the details

compact
09-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Im usually at 22mph, and at 70' spectra line. Although now im gonna look into adding a 5' extension to equal out to 75', and seeing if my perfect pass is calibrated properly via gps. I do have a wakeplate which i usually put all the way down. i'm also 6' at 190lbs if that makes a difference? lol

Jeff W
09-12-2009, 12:04 AM
You should definately be getting a nice pop with 1500 lbs of ballast. My boat has the same hull and with 1500 or more lbs in it - we can really kill it back there. No problem sailing into the flats..

The first suspect is going to be the rider. If you need to be making nice progessive cuts with a lot of line tension. You should be standing up very tall when you hit the wake..

Some other factors will be speed of the boat and line length. But if you're putting a lot of ballast into that boat if you knew how to make a proper progressive cut those two wouldn't play such a role.

My advice is take a video or more importantly watch videos of some guys going wake to wake and go from there. Your boat has PLENTY of wake to get some clean pop out of.

compact
09-12-2009, 04:38 AM
You should definately be getting a nice pop with 1500 lbs of ballast. My boat has the same hull and with 1500 or more lbs in it - we can really kill it back there. No problem sailing into the flats..

The first suspect is going to be the rider. If you need to be making nice progessive cuts with a lot of line tension. You should be standing up very tall when you hit the wake..

Some other factors will be speed of the boat and line length. But if you're putting a lot of ballast into that boat if you knew how to make a proper progressive cut those two wouldn't play such a role.

My advice is take a video or more importantly watch videos of some guys going wake to wake and go from there. Your boat has PLENTY of wake to get some clean pop out of.

Thanks for the tips, and comments. They're great. Im suspecting its me that sucks also, and not the boat, lol...actually i was hoping for that. I was caught up in reading about v-drive this, and v-drive that, which made me doubt myself if it's the boat or not. I've been snowboarding for maaaany years now, and im a lot better at it than wakeboarding at this point...maybe im just too eager.

Anyways, here is a pic of me, probably the highest i ever go for now, and i can't seem to go any higher.

moombadaze
09-12-2009, 08:35 AM
I do have a wakeplate which i usually put all the way down.

Try putting the wake plate up or in the bow up possition on the gauge

maxpower220
09-12-2009, 10:34 AM
It is hard to tell much from that picture. The boat is just completing a turn, which is not optimal. A better picture with the boat going straight and a view of the entire wake would be more helpful.

brownski
09-12-2009, 10:56 AM
The cheapest way to get pop is to improve technique. I can get ggood pop out of my 99 OB DD with 400lb rear ballas and a couple portable wake enhancement systems(fat friends) sitting on the rear seat. The key is to take a progressive edge all the way through your wake and stand tall, don't try to jump. edging through the wake should pop you right up. Also a board with good rocker helps.

compact
09-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys. I only posted the pic to show you what the highest i got so far was. I don't have any pics of the actual behind the boat straight wake. As soon as i take them ill post them up, but im hoping people get higher than this behind a boat like mine? I was just worried that i need a v-drive to get the air that i want, but im happy to hear that it's more of an experience thing.

Mikey
09-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Your boat has the potential as i've seen video of boarders doing flips behind an Outback DD using wakeplate only. Your boat should put up a slightly larger wake than the Outback DD but still more than enough for a nonpro wakeboarder,plus its a very skiiable boat.

kaneboats
09-14-2009, 02:27 PM
There was a thread on here where we asked Kyle Schmidt for some tips for getting more air. We are still waiting for a response from Kyle who assured me it was forthcoming.

Here was the thread:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=7583&highlight=Kyle+Schmidt

Jeff W
09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
That wake is PLENTY meaty to get some air..

It's all about the cut at that point. You want to cut out wide and when the part starts to pull you back, you load the line up and start a nice, progressive cut. When you hit the wake - you want to be at the fastest part of your cut. Many people back off shortly before they hit the wake and try to square up with the wake. This will only hamper you. You shouldn't ever be turning into the wake for a cut and you shouldn't be slowing down before you hit the wake. Right before you hit the wake - you want to stand tall and bring the handle to your hip. You never want/need to "jump" off the wake. This is a common mistake made by snowboarders since they are used to "jumping" to get more air.

The key is a solid, strong, progressive cut and standing tall. Let the wake and the board do the work. Dont overthink it. Watch some youtube videos on progressive cuts and see how these guys cut. That is really the ONLY key to going big on wake to wake jumps. No cut = no air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebl8tXLXops&feature=fvw

Spaceball 1
09-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Im usually at 22mph, and at 70' spectra line. Although now im gonna look into adding a 5' extension to equal out to 75', and seeing if my perfect pass is calibrated properly via gps. I do have a wakeplate which i usually put all the way down. i'm also 6' at 190lbs if that makes a difference? lol

I have a 2001 Mobius LS with about 1500 lbs of ballast and can land out in the flats, i would not add rope unless the wake looks better another 5 feet out. You will have to go even bigger to go wake to wake. I am 6' and 160 lbs, ride 24mph, a trip 138, and 70 feet out. I really just started wakeboarding this year and came from snowboarding also. I have friends that are amazed how high i can get. I also like to go huge on the snow. It's all technique. Progressive cut, pull the rope to your stomach, and stand. It's hard to explain but when you get it you will be amazed at how fast you can accelerate into the wake and the pop you get off the wake. Next year i am gonna upgrade to a 3 stage rocker board but believe me they are not required to go huge. My wakeboard buddy is 6' 225lbs and rides a old 2001 trip 143 and goes almost as big.

deepcove
09-15-2009, 12:57 AM
I have a 2004 LS which is the same hull as yours. As stated above the sweet sot is 65'. You should not be riding with the plate all the way down, some where just under half is optimal. Also this hull loves extra weight in the bow, the wake will not appear a ton bigger but it makes it a lot more solid which gives some impressive kick. My buddies throw various inverts, 5's and raley's with factory ballast in my LS. Work on that progressive edge!!!!

Jeff W
09-15-2009, 08:44 AM
I have a 2004 LS which is the same hull as yours. As stated above the sweet sot is 65'. You should not be riding with the plate all the way down, some where just under half is optimal. Also this hull loves extra weight in the bow, the wake will not appear a ton bigger but it makes it a lot more solid which gives some impressive kick. My buddies throw various inverts, 5's and raley's with factory ballast in my LS. Work on that progressive edge!!!!

Agree on this. This hull loves weight up front. With some weight up front - your wake will be much firmer and allow for good pop.

It's all about the edging.

liquidlite
09-15-2009, 09:27 AM
the wake doesn't look half bad! fix your cut and you'll fix your problem. hold your edge through the wake. you can tell by the angle of your board in that pic that you are letting up at the end of your cut. lean against that line and stand tall through the wake. next time you're out, go balls out at it. You will immediately notice the difference and can make the proper adjustments.

yager97
09-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Your wake looks pretty rounded. If you want straight up pop, you need more weight in the back, and put the wakeplate up. weight in the front will mellow out your wake and make it easier to clear wake to wake, but its not going to buck you up as hard. V-Drives definately help by putting most of the boats weight in the back. you need to displace the middle weight of a D-Drive by adding bag after bag of weight to the back. You'll figure it out, no matter what the boat it takes a while to get it dialed, I have had mine for 3 years and still getting it dialed just right. its the same hull but V-drive I beleive as yours..ride a shorter line length also, try 65 feet or 60 feet.

compact
09-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Great advice guys! Thanks! Unfortunatly its getting cold faaast here in Ontario...gonna try to get in a couple more times before the snow comes down.:(

I will try all things mentioned above, including working on my progressive edge! Ill update the thread once i try some of the things out. It's nice to hear that my boat has the capabilities though.

tprkolbas
09-19-2009, 11:49 AM
yes it is possible. my last boat was an 05 ls. it was no 08 lsv, but properly weighted, i could still get a good wake - used to throw backrolls & tantrums on that wake.